MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Dgriehn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Smoking homemade sausage

Hello fellow Q lovers, I'm new to the site. Santa dropped off a fully loaded Primos XL and I would love to smoke some homemade brats.thanks for the posts about '40-140 in four'. My question is is that valid for ground meat as it is for unprocessed meats. The contamination in a solid cut is on the surface of the meat. After grinding the potential contamination is all the way through the meat. Any input is welcome. I love brats, but not enough to spend the night on the crapper
Dgriehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

For me, I wash all meat that I bring into the house. I also keep it cold from the point I buy it to the point I use it. This means it stays below 40F all the time. I feel this minimizes the risk when I grind it. I also like to keep the meat and all of the grinding tools as cold as reasonably possible.

Beyond that, I have not gotten sick on home made sausage or ground meat. I do like to cook it fairly fast, observing the 40-140 guidelines, except, with cured meats that I have used a true cure on. Those I will go slower on at times, but, I am confident that the cure has taken hold.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Smoking sausage indirect on a smoker works great. I do them all the time. I cook around 250* - 270*.

USDA says ground pork and beef should be cooked to 160* This page should answer all your questions:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/news/NR_052411_01/index.asp

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgriehn View Post
Hello fellow Q lovers, I'm new to the site. Santa dropped off a fully loaded Primos XL and I would love to smoke some homemade brats.thanks for the posts about '40-140 in four'. My question is is that valid for ground meat as it is for unprocessed meats. The contamination in a solid cut is on the surface of the meat. After grinding the potential contamination is all the way through the meat. Any input is welcome. I love brats, but not enough to spend the night on the crapper

Bratwurst is typically made and sold as fresh sausage from fresh meat and should be cooked within days of being made. It can be hot smoked as a method of cooking. The safe temperatures as indicated by the USDA for cooking is what kills any bacteria in the meat.

What is referred to as "Smoked Sausages" are usually cured before cold smoking and then brought to a finishing temperature. These can be held for a short time until they are to be cooked, but the curing agent changes flavors and textures from the fresh form and makes them safe for an extended smoking time at temperatures above 36°.

As "Landarc" pointed out, it is always best to wash your meat before home processing simply because a butcher house has so much meat being cut and packaged there is a great risk of contamination. The other issue is the surface of the meat can be painted or dipped to extend life within the store, the less of these additives in your sausage the more control you have over the flavor. Temperature is crucial in meat storage always.

I also like "Landarc" idea if keeping the grinding tools refrigerated as well, Thanks.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 12-29-2012 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: Spelling
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer grilling most fresh sausages. If I want some smoke flavor, I will just throw a chunk of wood onto the charcoal or make a smoking packet that sits on burners of the gasser.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote