to clean or not to clean

schmitty28

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you should clean the inside of your smoker? If so how and what should you use to not lose the seasoning your smoker has developed

For arguments sake, what smoker you got? (Great avatar btw!)

I have a large RF offset. I powerwash it out several times each year. Afterwards I spray the inside with Pam or something similar, it's worked great so far (I can still smell it during warm days).

I am a heavy user, so I clean my grates at least weekly. I just burn the grease and crap off and then take a wire brush to them. About once a month I will take a crumpled piece of foil and scrub the inside top and walls. My grease/water pan gets a build up in it so I have to scoop some of the burnt grease out. I do that on an as needed basis.
This is my smoker.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358633283.093063.jpg

After your next cook spray the cook chamber with water from your hose while it is still hot. The steam will help clean it quite a bit.
Make sure you have the drain open.

I clean my grates before every cook, but not the inside of my grills and smokers. I get the grates hot, and take a wire brush to them.

When the buildup of grease and carbon starts to flake off, I knock it off with a wire brush or ball of foil. I only do that to keep the flakes from falling on my food.

CD

On my offset, I use a wire brush on the grates when I take the meat off and then I usually let it sit overnight because I am pooped after fighting, er, feeding the thing for 10 - 12 hours on a big cook. Next day, I take a putty knife and scrape off the accumulated grease/gunk off the area below the cooking grates. It's usually still soft and comes off easily. Then I wipe it down with a paper towel and push any remaining liquid down to the drain. Use a wire brush reamer to clean out the drain and run a paper towel through it to finish up. I used to hose it out, but it tended to develop a little rust afterwards so I only do that a couple of times a year now.

I have a large RF offset. I powerwash it out several times each year. Afterwards I spray the inside with Pam or something similar, it's worked great so far (I can still smell it during warm days).

Even a couple of weeks after I use my Off Set, You can step out on my patio, and that BBQ smell seems to always be there.

My friends think I smoke everyday. I'd like to, but sadly I'm not in business.

I clean mine good, one or two times a year. The rest of the time I brush my grills, then wipe out the BBQ chamber and shovel out the firebox.

I do empty the grease bucket after every smoke, then wash it with Simply Green. No ants or critters making a mess.

Last edited:
I cook on WSMs, I wire brush the cooking grates and dump the ashes, that is it.

I've never cleaned the inside walls of my UDS. It has a thick layer of built up gunk on it, top to bottom. Could be my imagination but I think all that gunk helps insulate the drum and maintain steadier temps. My UDS seems to perform better, the dirtier it gets. :)

all the replies have been great think I will clean the grates and knock any loose debris off with foil give a quick rinse down the drain wipe it dry to avoid rust and spray it down with pam with all the suggestions developed a good cleaning plan

I cook on WSMs, I wire brush the cooking grates and dump the ashes, that is it.

Do you not have any of the black flakes falling off on your food :?:

I take and bang my lid on the concrete before placing any food on the grate, and this seems to work most of the time :tsk:

i cover my grates with aluminum foil make a few holes to let the hickory smoke come thru,as far as the sides of the weber rocky mt smoker i i clean them once a year with a steaer i wear ggges t protect my eyes

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

I've never cleaned the inside walls of my UDS. It has a thick layer of built up gunk on it, top to bottom. Could be my imagination but I think all that gunk helps insulate the drum and maintain steadier temps. My UDS seems to perform better, the dirtier it gets. :)[/QUOTE
Yep, same with mine! I think that goes for pretty much any cooker, the better seasoned it is, the easier it is to maintain temp.

Back