MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > NCGrimbo's StokeMaster app

Notices

NCGrimbo's StokeMaster app Stoke Master is an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application that can be used to manage your BBQ Stoker. This forum is where you can leave comments, ask questions, report bugs, and look over the FAQ for the application.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #31
ScottoRoboto
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Thanks. I recently put the Stokemaster App on my wifes Ipad 2. Unfortunately, she won't let me play with it so I might have to get my own. Does it support 2 cookers at once? If not, do you know of any software that will other than the Stokers web interface. I tried the Stokerlog and it gets buggy with two blowers.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottoRoboto View Post
Thanks. I recently put the Stokemaster App on my wifes Ipad 2. Unfortunately, she won't let me play with it so I might have to get my own. Does it support 2 cookers at once? If not, do you know of any software that will other than the Stokers web interface. I tried the Stokerlog and it gets buggy with two blowers.
StokeMaster should work out of the box with multiple blowers, but I will admit that I have not tried it in this configuration since I only have 1 blower. Give it a try and let me know how it works. If it doesn't work, I feel certain that I can get it to work.

-NCGrimbo
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #33
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

If I have the new wifi stoker and an ipad, but at a comp with no service, can I network the ipad to the wifi stoker somehow?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #34
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDaddy's View Post
If I have the new wifi stoker and an ipad, but at a comp with no service, can I network the ipad to the wifi stoker somehow?
Yes, but you need 1 more item. You need a wireless router and a little bit of setup time before you go to the comp. Here are the simplified steps:
  1. Configure the router and setup the wireless network on the router.
  2. Configure the WiFi on the Stoker to connect to the newly configured router.
  3. Configure your iPad to connect to the newly configured router.
  4. Make sure the iPad talks to the WiFi Stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  5. Turn off the Stoker and router and pack them up for the trip.
  6. When you get to the comp, plug in the router and then turn it on. Give it a minute or two to get going.
  7. Make sure the iPad connects to the router's wireless network. (It should have the same name as you gave it at home.)
  8. Fire up the WiFi Stoker and make sure it gets an IP Address from the router.
  9. Double check that the iPad can talk to the WiFi stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  10. Crank up StokeMaster and enjoy!
The key is to make sure everything is working at home before you head off to the comp.

-NCGrimbo
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #35
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Couple questions on the App:
Can I change the target temps on the probes using the app? It allows me to change the number, but there's no way to accept or confirm the change.
Is there any way to turn off the popup alarm sound? It's very annoying.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Couple questions on the App:
Can I change the target temps on the probes using the app? It allows me to change the number, but there's no way to accept or confirm the change.
Is there any way to turn off the popup alarm sound? It's very annoying.

Thanks!
Once you make a change to a probe on it's configuration screen, that change is passed on to the Stoker. I'm looking into using a picker to select the temps in v1.3. This will allow you to cancel out of the change if you choose to.

v1.2 will allow you to choose what music you hear when the alarm pops up. Other than that, you can turn off the alarms if they are poping up to frequently or change the frequency of how often they pop up.

v1.2 was submitted to Apple on Wednesday, so I'm waiting for them to approve it.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

-NCGrimbo
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
Once you make a change to a probe on it's configuration screen, that change is passed on to the Stoker. I'm looking into using a picker to select the temps in v1.3. This will allow you to cancel out of the change if you choose to.

v1.2 will allow you to choose what music you hear when the alarm pops up. Other than that, you can turn off the alarms if they are poping up to frequently or change the frequency of how often they pop up.

v1.2 was submitted to Apple on Wednesday, so I'm waiting for them to approve it.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

-NCGrimbo
It does, thank you. I wasn't being patient enough for the app to reflect the changes made to the temp. It would be nice if there was a "done" or "go" button when changing temps though.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #38
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Like you did in post 34, can you post detailed steps on how to configure the stoker, router and iPhone to communicate with each other?
I already have a router connected to my stoker and I can access my stoker on my home network. I want to be able to access the stoker at a comp via my laptop and iPhone.
Can you please post detailed steps on how to do this?

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #39
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop View Post
Like you did in post 34, can you post detailed steps on how to configure the stoker, router and iPhone to communicate with each other?
I already have a router connected to my stoker and I can access my stoker on my home network. I want to be able to access the stoker at a comp via my laptop and iPhone.
Can you please post detailed steps on how to do this?
If everything is working at home and you can bring your home router and the cables to your comp, you just plug everything together at the comp like you have it plugged up at home. If the laptop uses the local network wirelessly, then it will continue to work that way at the comp.

In simple terms, the router is what defines your local network. Anything that talks to it is part of your local network. So when you take your router to the comp., you are taking your local network with you. If it works at home, it will work at the comp. You just have to make sure it is connected the same way once you get to the comp. And, make sure that your iPhone or iPad are connected to the local network when you try to run the app at the comp.

The one key is to make sure that the WiFi part of your router is password protected so that no one can connect to it but yourself.

The steps are pretty much the same as post #34, but I list them here for anyone that has a non-WiFi Stoker:
  1. Configure the router and setup the wireless network on the router.
  2. Plug the Stoker into one of the ports at the back of the router.
  3. Configure your iPad/iPhone to connect to the newly configured router via WiFi.
  4. Make sure the iPad talks to the Stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  5. Turn off the Stoker and router and pack them up for the trip.
  6. When you get to the comp, plug in the router and then turn it on. Give it a minute or two to get going.
  7. Make sure the iPad connects to the router's wireless network. (It should have the same name as you gave it at home.)
  8. Plug in the Stoker to the router and make sure it gets an IP Address from the router.
  9. Double check that the iPad can talk to the WiFi stoker by going to the Stoker's IP address with a browser on the iPad.
  10. Crank up StokeMaster and enjoy!
Once again, the key is to make sure everything is working at home before you head off to the comp.

-NCGrimbo
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm still a little confused and it could be due to the lack of information I originally provided you.
Just to be clear, I have a wireless router from Fios that I use for my home network. I also have an old Linksys router that I flashed with DD-WRT firmware and connected to my Stoker to use as a bridge on my home network.
Now, when you say to bring my router to a comp, do you mean my home network router or the router that is connected to the stoker?

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm still a little confused and it could be due to the lack of information I originally provided you.
Just to be clear, I have a wireless router from Fios that I use for my home network. I also have an old Linksys router that I flashed with DD-WRT firmware and connected to my Stoker to use as a bridge on my home network.
Now, when you say to bring my router to a comp, do you mean my home network router or the router that is connected to the stoker?
My response assumed that you only have 1 router. What I would recommend in your situation is to go out and buy a low priced, but name brand (belkin, d-link, etc.), router for comps. Then before going on a comp, follow the directions I listed using the "comp router" instead of the "lan routers" that you have.

Your other choice is to bring both routers with you when you go to comps. You won't need to configure anything at the comp. Once both routers are connected to power, they should work just like they do at your home.

Let me know if this answered your question.

-NCGrimbo
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #42
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Can I upgrade my non-WiFi stoker from firmware version 2.6.0.254 to 2.7.0.270?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #43
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Can I upgrade my non-WiFi stoker from firmware version 2.6.0.254 to 2.7.0.270?
I haven't talked to Rock to see if the non-WiFi stokers can work with 2.7.0.270. I'll send him or the software developer an email to see what they say. I'm running 2.7.0.6 and until I've talked to Rock, I'm sticking with this version. You can find all the versions of the firmware at the firmware developer's site, www.kaytat.com
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #44
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
I haven't talked to Rock to see if the non-WiFi stokers can work with 2.7.0.270. I'll send him or the software developer an email to see what they say. I'm running 2.7.0.6 and until I've talked to Rock, I'm sticking with this version. You can find all the versions of the firmware at the firmware developer's site, www.kaytat.com
I currently have the non-WiFi Stoker running version 2.6.0.254. I'm going to hold off on updating the firmware until you have a response. Thanks

Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #45
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I currently have the non-WiFi Stoker running version 2.6.0.254. I'm going to hold off on updating the firmware until you have a response. Thanks
Officially, StokeMaster works with v2.7.0.8 and higher. I would feel confident in upgrading to that version from www.kaytat.com if you don't go to the latest version.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo