MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Default Gateway Drum 101 questions

I’m considering getting a Gateway Drum smoker but unfortunately don’t have a vendor close where I can see one in person. I do have two very basic questions. First, how do you route your probe wires for those of you using a Smoke or similar thermometer. Second, is the heat diffuser plate a recommended accessory? I’ll be doing mainly ribs, butts and briskets in the drum at lower temps (275 and below). I have lots of experience with my WSMs and KJs but this would be my first drum so sorry if the questions seem very basic.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

These look pricey!

I built my 30gal out of stainless steel (shipped to my door)
30 gal Drum
18.5 inch SS mixing bowl and SS boat handle
12 inch SS smoking tube
18.5 inch SS Rotisserie with motor
2 18.5 in webber grates
1 13 in webber coal grate
expanded steel
nuts bolts washers
ball valve and 3 2 in threaded pipes with caps
550.00 and will last forever

Very rewarding when I serve a pork butt or brisket to guest and they rave on it!

Old 01-10-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

You might also want to checkout Hunsaker Smokers if you haven't.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy12 View Post
These look pricey!

I built my 30gal out of stainless steel (shipped to my door)
30 gal Drum
18.5 inch SS mixing bowl and SS boat handle
12 inch SS smoking tube
18.5 inch SS Rotisserie with motor
2 18.5 in webber grates
1 13 in webber coal grate
expanded steel
nuts bolts washers
ball valve and 3 2 in threaded pipes with caps
550.00 and will last forever

Very rewarding when I serve a pork butt or brisket to guest and they rave on it!
Sound great but note that the Gateway is a 55 gallon. The Pit Barrel Cooker is 30 gallon and available delivered for $299.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
lennitt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
what he said

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennitt View Post
what he said
I would agree. I purchased the Hunsaker Vortex Charcoal basket for my drum and it's awesome!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
ATucker
On the road to being a farker

How close are you to Dacula, Ga? I have 4 you are welcome to come up and see them. We will even fire them up so you can see how they work. Let me know if you are interested.

Allen

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

Mine is supposed to ship today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I would agree. I purchased the Hunsaker Vortex Charcoal basket for my drum and it's awesome!
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM   #9
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

99% of people cook hot and fast. There isn’t much of a need for IT thermos when big cuts are @145* in 2 hours. You can either run them down thru the exhaust stack or drill into the side for a probe port. They just get in the way. A diffuser can be beneficial for ribs and pork butt depending upon the sugar content of your rub(s). I never use one for brisket.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
5am
On the road to being a farker

I can't answer your first question, but you do not need a diffuser. For ribs, butts and brisket, get it set at 300 and let it rip. They cook very well. Gateway has a great online community and plenty of top notch cooks using them.
I've seen plenty of people say(type) Gateways are overpriced, yet they will copy the design, or "build" a drum that doesn't perform nearly as good as a Gateway performs. If you haven't cooked on one, you just don't know.
5am is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

Buy a Gateway and be happy. They are very easy to use and maintain compared to other drums. 1. you can route your probe wires through the stack. 2. I would get the hanger before I would the diffuser. Great for ribs, tri-tip, prime-rib, and birds. Work best hot and fast, but can be ran slow, but why?

For comp, 4 of the top 6 teams use them completely or for 1 or 2 meats. One of the other top 5 teams sells them on his website.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #12
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATucker View Post
How close are you to Dacula, Ga? I have 4 you are welcome to come up and see them. We will even fire them up so you can see how they work. Let me know if you are interested.

Allen
Thanks for all the help and ideas everybody.

I'm on the Southside of ATL about 1 1/2 hrs from Dacula. Might take you up on your offer but it won't be for another month or so. A new Yeti cooler called my name and I spent a bit of my "wife don't know about it" money.

I like the vortex system on the Hunsakers a lot but I like the way the air adjustments work on the Gateway better. Of course this is being said by a guy who hasn't had a chance to lay hands on either one in person yet. Hunsaker is still in the running.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #13
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benniesdad View Post
Thanks for all the help and ideas everybody.

I'm on the Southside of ATL about 1 1/2 hrs from Dacula. Might take you up on your offer but it won't be for another month or so. A new Yeti cooler called my name and I spent a bit of my "wife don't know about it" money.

I like the vortex system on the Hunsakers a lot but I like the way the air adjustments work on the Gateway better. Of course this is being said by a guy who hasn't had a chance to lay hands on either one in person yet. Hunsaker is still in the running.
And I don't live far from Allen in L'ville and have 3 Hunsakers you can see if you really want to confuse things .

Old 01-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
FTTH
Knows what a fatty is.

You have a WSM. Why do you feel you need a Gateway? What size WSM do you have? I’ve got a 22 with the Hunsaker vortex basket and a Gateway 55 gallon hanging rack. It’s a great setup.
FTTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTH View Post
You have a WSM. Why do you feel you need a Gateway? What size WSM do you have? I’ve got a 22 with the Hunsaker vortex basket and a Gateway 55 gallon hanging rack. It’s a great setup.
I have the 18 inch WSM. I have the Weber hanging rack with PBC hooks for my WSM and it makes some really good chicken. I've hung ribs in it as well but the ends get pretty close to the coals. I am sure the bigger WSM with the vortex basket is a very nice set up.