MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd be all over that!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #17
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

That's one fine looking sammich, Toast!
Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Should we tell Toast that this thing is open until next Monday or let him sweat it out?
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #19
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
Should we tell Toast that this thing is open until next Monday or let him sweat it out?
Best to keep quiet and see if he posts a pizza next weekend!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #20
landarc

I have a unique approach to Tri-tip, that differs from most folks, I am calling this one of my specialties.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

For me, a signature dish should be something that people always request you to make and that has cause people to like something that they've sworn off of before.
In my case there are quite a few dishes that I have people ask me to make all the time but, one of the things that holds a special place in my heart is my Grilled Asparagus. It's because of this dish that my daughter asks for Santa to bring her Asparagus for Christmas and gets upset if she doesn't have any for her birthday. My nieces and nephews who refuse to eat asparagus at their house are excited when they hear I'm making it for dinner.
The recipe is really simple. I detailed it here
And for some reason it always looks pretty when it's cooking and getting served up.

I know it might not seem normal but then again, anyone who knows me, normal is not a regular thing.

Thanks for looking!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
This just in. Finally got the original Butt off. I did manage to get a pic before she rest though:

Thanks for lookin' !
That is one fine looking butt you have there, Toast. The crust looks really good, a nice balance of dark/light and crunch. Would have been great to see it pulled and put in the sammie, though.... like our brothers said, the deadline is a week away. You have to be admired for your perseverence and dedication, a lesser BBQer might have given up in the same circumstances. Great looking sammie with your "signature" toast!
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post

I love this pic of the grilled asparagus, it's a favourite of mine, too. Pretty amazing that you've been able to get the kids and others in your family to eat YOUR asparagus when they will eat no other. Looks like a good, tasty meal, Big Butz.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #24
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I knew that. It was about having time to do it. I mean HEY! The Elusive Largemouth Black Bass Spawn is in full swing here!

I've heard the Spamfish are schoolin' too!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default This is my official entry into the "Your Signature Dish" TD.

Please accept my entry titled "My Signature McRib".

Because I jump at any opportunity of McRib talk on site to post a picture of the McRib I make, it was easy to figure out what my signature dish is. McRibs!!!

I've had a cryovac with some beautiful meaty ribs in the freezer I've been saving for a special occasion. Have ribs, will smoke! I've been smoking meat just over a year now and I've smoked more ribs than anything -- another reason something with ribs has to be my signature dish. When you are making a McRib it is very important not to disturb the membrane on the underside of the rib rack, an intact membrane will help you ease out the rib bones. I've been experimenting with my own rubs which helps me control the amount of salt, sugar and artificial additives on our food at home. Along the way I've noticed I love the taste of celery seeds on ribs in a small amount, they pack a flavourful punch so a few too many seeds can overpower a dish. Chewing one or two celery seeds per rib bone has become a delight I look forward to. For these two meaty racks of back ribs I made a rub of: 2 heaping tsp of Cool Runnings 'All Purpose Seasoning with Pimento' (it's similar to a jerk rub, pimento is allspice), 1 level tsp granulated garlic, 1 heaping tsp ground ginger put through a sieve, 2 heaping tsp onion powder and 1/8th tsp celery seed. I have a few stainless steel shakers to mix rubs in that make distributing spice evenly over meat easy.

A few of the necessary ingredients to turn ordinary ribs into Signature McRibs: onion, sweet pickles, BBQ sauce and soft, oval, white buns with a crack down the middle. The Thursday before the TD started I checked out buns while I was shopping and found the perfect oval bun that had a crack, too! They were a specialty Portuguese bun. I went back on Saturday and the shelf was bare, they don't get their Portuguese bread delivery until Mondays! Had to be happy with a crustini bun, it was round, not oval, but at least it had a crack across the top.

While the ribs were smoking I put my attention to the side. While we were out Saturday I went into a trendy local food shop that was offering samples, one of which was a celeriac salad. I had two celeriac bulbs in the fridge at home so I wanted to see what this salad tasted like, maybe I should make it, too. I was really surprised to find out it was bland. It showed me what a jazzed-up version could grow from, though, and I was game to try making something new for this TD. The bland salad had a fresh herb in it, couldn't figure out what it was because it was really mild -- I decided to use fresh dill in mine as well as sour cream, lemon, black pepper and raw Celtic salt.

Cut the celeriac and radishes into matchsticks, added salt and set the bowl in the fridge for a few hours to draw out excess moisture. I love the texture that procedure creates for cabbage slaw, why not try the same with celeriac and radish? This is a picture of the bowl after resting a few hours, you can see some of the matchsticks are shiny from the drawn moisture.

The ribs are done, here they go for a rest in a roasting pan.

And now to finish the salad -- or celeriac slaw. Because I'm also putting fresh lemon juice on the salad I want to be sure it is as dry as I can get it so the sour cream stays thick. I tried one of the celeriac match sticks. The texture was wonderful and definitely better than that trendy specialty food store's celeriac. Guess they didn't rest theirs in the fridge with salt. I put the matchsticks in a colander and washed some of the salt off and dried it with paper towel.

Chopped up some dill fine, added fresh squeezed lemon juice and the rest and mixed the salad. Wow, that was GOOD. I ended up eating most of the bowl myself in one sitting, it had too much lemon for my partner but for me it rocked! This celeriac slaw is now one of my new addictions, next time I'll ease up on the lemon in the main bowl and just add more to mine.

Now to build McRibs. First, we need to free the bone from the meat. I cut off a piece of ribs that is just larger than the bun -- usually about 4 or 5 bones, depending on the size of the rack. Turn the piece upside down and work the knife through and around the membrane to free the bone. The membrane keeps moisture between the meat and bone, kind of like micro-steaming it, which makes separating the two easier. Avoid cutting through the meat to the "good" side. Some ribs will allow you to ease your finger into the growing pocket between the bone and meat. If the bone doesn't come out easily just keep poking your knife around until it does.

First the meat goes on the bun bottom.

Next is the BBQ sauce. Because this is real rib meat I want to taste the meat so I'm controlled when saucing. I like to be able to see that some of the meat has no sauce or such a thin layer of sauce that the meat easily shows through.

Next are the chopped onions. I put on a lot more than Mickey D does.

Sweet pickles are next.

And my finished Signature Dish with my signature fabric drape!

PLEASE USE THE PHOTO BELOW FOR VOTING.

Now THAT'S a McRib! Absolutely delicious, as always, but this time I got the bonus of that fantastic celeriac slaw.

Thanks for looking!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Lord Have MERCY Kathy! Fantastic! Have you ever thought about franchising that?
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Lord Have MERCY Kathy! Fantastic! Have you ever thought about franchising that?
Thanks for the compliment -- I'll have to pass on that opportunity because I already have too much to do. (Just like you, my friend. )

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #28
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Damn those rib burgers look nice,nice entry
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #29
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Default RE: IN PROGRESS-> BBQ Brethren "Your Signature Dish" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

These blew my mind last time you made them and have done so again! Unless something insanely spectacular comes along you've got my vote.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #30
buccaneer

Kathy that is just so freakin good!!!!!!

My sig dish has naff all to do with BBQ...sigh...