MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
You have to use some common sense and your own taste when using MM's book. I like his rub recipe. His comp brisket and pork butt recipe differs slightly from the recipe in his book. But, either way, use your own sense of taste with them. I have a later version of his book and many of the salt issues have been addressed in it. But, I still use my own taste when following his recipes.

Good luck!
How much salt does the hog injection call for in the book you have?
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I have his book and have tried a few of his recipes. The vinegar sauce was a bit much for me. I use his recipes and add my spin to them for the most part.
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
BayoustateBBQ

My book of his copy write 2011 calls for 2 cups. Is this an old book? Just got it from him a month ago
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

I have never found a need for injecting a pork butt. any other opinions on it?? so much fat in pork butt it seems to do its own internal basting. Myron is from Georgia, right? Is it a regional thing?
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robicus129 View Post
Good luck! I have read his book also. Trying to learn as much as I can. I did his apple/bacon stuffed chicken breasts. Pretty easy and family loved it.

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread. Good luck and post up your results.

That looks great !

I ordered a copy of his book and am patiently awaiting its arrival. Also trying some of his Jack's Old South sauces.

I'll make that apple-bacon chicken for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
I have never found a need for injecting a pork butt. any other opinions on it?? so much fat in pork butt it seems to do its own internal basting. Myron is from Georgia, right? Is it a regional thing?
Neither I, nor most of the guys I grill with inject butts. A good rub that barks well....pull it and then hit it lightly with vinegar hot sauce before serving.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Probably more of a competition thing than regional.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Emulating Myron's methodology without Myron's equipment is time and labor-intensive. I devoured the book and embarked on his brisket recipe. Best brisket I ever made, but it took me two days to recover after spending 17 hours wrestling my offset. Moved on to pork butt and produced a perfect pan of pulled pork after 9.5 hours. Using foil pans to cook everything in really slows down the process on my cooker. I'm saving up for a cooker like Myron's and hopefully a class.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #23
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
Emulating Myron's methodology without Myron's equipment is time and labor-intensive. I devoured the book and embarked on his brisket recipe. Best brisket I ever made, but it took me two days to recover after spending 17 hours wrestling my offset. Moved on to pork butt and produced a perfect pan of pulled pork after 9.5 hours. Using foil pans to cook everything in really slows down the process on my cooker. I'm saving up for a cooker like Myron's and hopefully a class.
Understood.

Which cooker are you considering?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
learn your pit learn to cook where the pit likes to run all that 500 step process BS IMO well aint good BBQ, it is all about the meat and letting it be all that it can be! I traveled down that windy lost road less is definitely more K.I. S.S.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
You have to use some common sense and your own taste when using MM's book. I like his rub recipe. His comp brisket and pork butt recipe differs slightly from the recipe in his book. But, either way, use your own sense of taste with them. I have a later version of his book and many of the salt issues have been addressed in it. But, I still use my own taste when following his recipes.

Good luck!
Well I can understand him not spilling all the beans on his secrets in a $20 book, which is marketed more toward the regular BBQ guy. Hardcore BBQ guys and competition guys that take the more expensive class expect a little different twist.

You mentioned "many of the salt issues", are there several? I would like to make corrections in my copy.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
thirdeye

Quote:
Try it, you may like it. I shoot all my butts.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
The last butt I cooked at home was the first time I used an injection (Chris Lilly's injection recipe) and I definitely noticed a difference in flavor for the better. I think it was one of the best butts I've ever cooked. Don't know if I'll do it all the time but I think it's worth a shot just to try it out.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM and 18 1/2" WSM
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle, Weber Jumbo Joe 18 1/2"
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes Barbecue Association
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #28
deerslayer8153

Wish they (he) would own up to typos, even if it's just a $20 book.

I was so disgusted with my ribs, I gave my book away.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #29
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

In his class Myron says of the hog marinade, don't taste it as it is, it is meant to be super concentrated so of course it will not taste right by itself. So yeah it is salty by itself, but should not be so once the final product is cooked. I gotta say, I didn't find the final result to be anything but awesome.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

I inject butts. Pork turns out juicier and has another level of flavor to it as well. Worth the little extra time in my opinion.