BBQ Brethren "Let's Do it Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Ooooo, I love getting pickled with Tito's. :thumb:

CD

RE: IN PROGRESS -> BBQ Brethren "Let's Do it Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

LMAO!!!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Someone(deguerre) hinted to me that Surf-n-Turf sounded like an Aussie thing, so I thought I might as well throw in here........WOW, two throwdown entries in one day.

Anyway, here was the original thread I posted.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156855

And here is my Official entry photo for the "Let's do it Aussie Style" Throwdown:
Surf-n-TurfPlus021_zps001dcb89.jpg

Thanks all, wishin' all me mates good luck!

KC

In searching for Aussie Food I kept coming up with something called Toad in a Hole. Well to be honest I came across it once but I liked the name. I had given up on my Vegemite arriving in time so when it did I started to wonder how I could incorporate Vegemite into my Toad in a Hole.

What I think caught my eye is that it was listed as good hangover food. While I rarely drink :wink: I saw this as an opportunity to test the theory. :thumb: It was a sacrifice but one I made willingly for the Brethren.

I wasn't sure exactly what kind of toads to use so I settled on some breakfast sausage. With my Vegemite showing up early so I decided to feed it to the toads.

Here was the start of things.

IMG_4739_zpsc1b506d6.jpg

I grilled my toads

IMG_4740_zps0c6a40bf.jpg

and set them aside

IMG_4743_zpsafbc6ef0.jpg

Now to make up the hole

Scarlett likes to crack eggs

IMG_4744_zpscf10e651.jpg

IMG_4745_zpsd2ef9d7a.jpg

I melted some butter and added the Vegemite, whisked everything up and poured it over the Toads.

IMG_4747_zps8d42c410.jpg

A few hopped out which seemed a little strange but what do I know I was still feeling a bit hung over.

IMG_4751_zps1b0c2051.jpg

I thought about a sauce but in the end settled on some eggs along with my Toad in the Hole and Vegemite on Toast.

IMG_4754_zpsc440df93.jpg

I liked the toads and the holes and the eggs were the perfect choice. I couldn't get anyone else to try the Vegemite but I like it and that just means I get to keep it all for myself.

IMG_4759_zps77ad29e7.jpg

thanks for looking

That looks fantastic!:hungry:

I always thought the toads WERE the hole!:noidea: Always learning something new.

RE: IN PROGRESS -> BBQ Brethren "Let's Do it Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

I have always known toad in a hole to be an egg fried in a hole made in a piece of toast. This looks much better.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Someone(deguerre) hinted to me that Surf-n-Turf sounded like an Aussie thing, so I thought I might as well throw in here........WOW, two throwdown entries in one day.

Anyway, here was the original thread I posted.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156855

And here is my Official entry photo for the "Let's do it Aussie Style" Throwdown:
Surf-n-TurfPlus021_zps001dcb89.jpg

Thanks all, wishin' all me mates good luck!

KC

Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute, now. I already entered, I say entered surf-n-turf. :mmph: Foghorn Leghorn mod.

CD :becky:

That looks fantastic!:hungry:

I always thought the toads WERE the hole!:noidea: Always learning something new.

I honestly don't know what is toad and what is hole. It was more fun to think of the sausages as the the toads so that is my story.

I'm sure someone who actually understands this food will let me know.

I honestly don't know what is toad and what is hole. It was more fun to think of the sausages as the the toads so that is my story.

I'm sure someone who actually understands this food will let me know.

Toad in a hole is actually an English peasant dish. I saw it on a menu in England, but did not try it. It was basically one more recipe designed to make the most of a little bit of cheap meat.

Since most Aussies are decedents of criminals kicked out of England, they stole the dish. :becky:

CD

Okay farkers. Ooops, can I say "farkers' here? :oops:

Yes, I am using one of the crutch meats, but they call it something else downunder, and it was the best meat I could find today.

I was in the mood for surf and turf, and it just so happens that Aussie sheep farkers (ooops, did it again), like surf and turf -- at least according to the internet.

So, I gots me a thick USDA Choice Scotch Filet, and seasoned it up with k-salt and black pepper. Then, I let it rest and soak up that salt and pepper goodness.

I then skewered my 15 count jumbo Gulf prawns (shrimp to the rest of us). Coated them with olive oil, and seasoned with k-salt and black pepper.

picture.php

While those rested and soaked up the flavors, I made a beer sauce.

I sautéed sliced onions, sliced jalepeños and diced garlic in olive oil, then added cream and beer. I let it simmer to reduce down to a sauce, then added some butter.

picture.php

Time to grill! Steak first.

picture.php

Then "shrimp on the barbie."

picture.php

And here is the finished meal.

picture.php

And, here is what I did to the finished meal. I'm stuffed, but very happy.

picture.php

CD

Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute, now. I already entered, I say entered surf-n-turf. :mmph: Foghorn Leghorn mod.

My apologies CD, I didn't see that before I posted, certainly if similar entries are not allowed, I am more than happy to step out of the throwdown.

No bad intentions intended.

KC

My apologies CD, I didn't see that before I posted, certainly if similar entries are not allowed, I am more than happy to step out of the throwdown.

KC

No, don't step out. You just need to learn to read emoticons, and translate whack-a-doodle. Just a little playful banter. We like to fark with each other in throwdowns.

Farkin' noobs. I'll probably get modded for this. :tsk:

KC, the first rule of Throwdowns is to ignore any and all banter. If you actually take these posts seriously you'd be convinced the only way to win the Aussie TD is by submitting beet salad with Fosters dressing. These guys will mess with your head and if you take their so-called good advice, you'll end up bitter that nobody voted for your eggplant. Bitter? I'm not bitter. It's been two farkin' years and I'm over that one, ... yeah, so over that one. Farkers. :tsk:

Just a little bit south of Saskatoon

Please accept this as my official entry to the " Lets do it Aussie Style' Throwdown. after a much failed attempt at making curried lamb snags I have re-evaluated my options and after a few Foster's Premium in a Trappist Monk challice, I have decided to submit my entry in-spite of my failed first attempt. This was another first attempt at Kurobuko Pork ribs. I had to do the hot-n-fast as I was running with scissors. They were cooked at 275 for 1 hour then wrapped for the the last hour, rub is Emeril's Bayou Blast and served with corn on the cob also on the grill, with Jed's potato salad! Thanks for lookin!

Attachments

• Kurobuta 013.jpg
    Kurobuta 013.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Kurobuta 005.jpg
    Kurobuta 005.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 86
  • Kurobuta 003.jpg
    Kurobuta 003.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 86
  • Kurobuta ribs.jpg
    Kurobuta ribs.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 87
  • curied lamb sausage 024.jpg
    curied lamb sausage 024.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 88
  • snags 013.jpg
    snags 013.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 88
  • snags 010.jpg
    snags 010.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 88
Never mind the dog. He yaps a lot and tries to bite...actually...yeah, maybe you better watch out for that dog, he might even be rabid.

As for similar dishes, there is nothing at ALL wrong with that!:thumb: In some categories it's almost required to have similar dishes because there are so many specifics.

My Dinky-di Aussie TD entry

Just some smoked rabbit in the nuddy. At one time, rabbits were running amok in Oz. Not too sure on the present day situation. Anyway, Brer Kazion raises meat rabbits and wanted me to smoke a couple off. Well....OK!:grin: I brined them as per his instructions, one tablespoon salt per quart and nothing else.
rabbit10.jpg

Slathered big mobs of bacon grease, and hit the same with various ground peppers and garlic powder.
rabbit9.jpg

rabbit8.jpg

Onto the Pro Q, smoked at 225°F, wood of choice: Australian Pine of course.
rabbit6.jpg

rabbit.jpg

Four hours later, pulled at an IT of 160°F
rabbit5.jpg

A no frills lunch is served. Not unhappy over here, Def was not dry arse like I thought it would be. Kinda like chicken breast, not a thigh thing tho. I would like to try Patio Daddio's turkey brine next time. All in all it was bewdie. Please use this shot.
rabbit2.jpg

Thanks for lookin!
Gratuitous fork shot:biggrin1:
rabbit1.jpg

Underground Mutton
You are correct about plague proportions,kept people in meat during the Great Depression.
Personally not my cup of tea,but you have done this cook a justice.
Nicely played,I would def try that

KC
Fleck no, don't do that!
These guys are messin widdya!
Look at Gore's entry, it lampooned me so successfully I am fleckin humiliated. Teach me to be so open!:wacko::cry:
I'm not doing my cook today to enter here, and fer sure I am not showing my face around here, you won't see me opening this thread , not one flecking word will you see from me, that is how embarrassed I am.:oops:

Stuff CD, you are allowed to enter surfie turfie, although the Aussie one usually includes a good beer chunder.:twitch:

Never mind the dog. He yaps a lot and tries to bite...actually...yeah, maybe you better watch out for that dog, he might even be rabid.

As for similar dishes, there is nothing at ALL wrong with that!:thumb: In some categories it's almost required to have similar dishes because there are so many specifics.

If that post is allowed, then I should be allowed to say that I am completely up-to-date on all of my shots. :mmph:

CD

Fleck no, don't do that!
These guys are messin widdya!
Look at Gore's entry, it lampooned me so successfully I am fleckin humiliated. Teach me to be so open!:wacko::cry:
I'm not doing my cook today to enter here, and fer sure I am not showing my face around here, you won't see me opening this thread , not one flecking word will you see from me, that is how embarrassed I am.:oops:

Stuff CD, you are allowed to enter surfie turfie, although the Aussie one usually includes a good beer chunder.:twitch:

Buccs, while I know you're looking at yourself in that thread, I also had another smokin' Aussie in mind, who had an even bigger reputation for drunk postings in the woodpile on weekend nights. If I'd ordered a WSM from Amazon last night with $500 shipping costs it would've made the Aussie experience complete. :laugh:

Believe it or not, your recent post opening up to us had little influence on my entry except positive reinforcement. :thumb:

Back