Going thru Charlotte N.C next week?

mikeleonard81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Going thru Charlotte next week on my way to Edisto Island S.C. What's the best BBQ in Charlotte if you only had time to stop at 1? Mods please don't move. I posted in road trip and didn't get any responses.

Sorry, but we need to follow protocol with all of the threads and where they should be placed. I left a longer redirect so that it will still show up in QT, but it must be placed in the proper forum. No hard feelings, but we must apply the forum rules to everyone equally.

Thanks,

Mods

This is about the best in the charlotte area. http://www.macspeedshop.com/locations.html

I have eaten there a few times. The brisket and pulled pork are good. The Lake Norman location would be the best one for you to stop at and not far off the exit.
I-77S take exit 28 turn right then turn left at first light, Mac's is down on the right hand side.

We'll... I'm Vinny...

Now, I've only lived in the area for two months.. I tried Mac's Speed Shop in Cornelius (Lake Norman area) once so far... It was OK/good, nothing bad at all, but nothing memorable either.. TO be fair, I'd need to go back a second time before making final judgement...
Maybe the original one in Charlotte is better but I haven't tried it. There are other non-BBQ restaurants to spend your money at.

Last edited:
hey Vinny!!!
did you find any good, real authentic barbeque down there yet? if so please lay it on us! hope you are doing well and enjoying yourself down there!!!

hey Vinny!!!
did you find any good, real authentic barbeque down there yet? if so please lay it on us! hope you are doing well and enjoying yourself down there!!!

Thanks...going well.

I haven't searched much yet, but there's really not much here....

In the next month or so, I do plan to venture to Lexington about 30 min away to go to Monk's (aka Lexington BBQ # 1) and Cook's BBQ.... I was also recommeded to check out Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC and Bill Spoon's BBQ in Charlotte.

Lexington BBQ is good, I haven't been there in a few years, it can get very crowded. I've eaten at Mac's in Charlotte also, it's about the same as Cornelius, not bad but it's good, I would eat there again. I've been down here 8 years and don't go out for BBQ much, since I've been doing my own. Never tried Bridges or Bill Spoons.

I've heard of spoons. Seen it on a few shows. Thanks to all that replied! Speed shop it is. Nice to meet you Vinny! I'll let you know how it was. Thanks to all again.

Sauceman's is in Charlotte. He was on BBQ Pitmasters. I think he won his episode also. I've never eaten there, but my neighbor told me he liked it.

Sauceman's
228 West Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28203
PH.704.333.7070

I've heard of spoons. Seen it on a few shows. Thanks to all that replied! Speed shop it is. Nice to meet you Vinny! I'll let you know how it was. Thanks to all again.

Mike - I went back to Mac's Speed Shop tonight for dinner with my wife and daughter... It was itching at me to give this place a second look.

In the end, I'd rate this a 6 and consider it average at best (from a BBQ perspective. I got the 4 meat sampler which I chose spare rib, brisket, pulled pork and texas BBQ sausage.

Brisket was a large chunk of about 1.5" thick x 8" or so long. It was not tender and had grill marks from the re-heat. Not enjoyable

Pulled pork was moist and vinegary but this was clearly from sitting in a reheat container. It was all brown, no hint of smoke. Only thing redeeming was a nice vinegar sauce.

Texas BBQ sausage was an all beef sausage. Not bad, but not the sausages that I ate on BBQ trips to Texas. A lot drier but somewhat flavorful.

St. Louis Spare - a bit tough but flavorful. Not really any smoke flavor but had smoke ring present in meat.

This is for a Saturday dinner service which should be their freshest.

Aside from the BBQ it's a cool -place in that there are a hot of Harley bike patrons, lots of TV's to see games and there were a few cute waitresses (others far from cute).

I think it's a cool place to watch a game, have a beer, wings etc and only eat the BBQ if you're not passionate about BBQ...

Truthfully, I'd save the trip and $ and go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Of the 7 Q-joints that I've been to in Charlotte, Mac's has been the best - BUT, I've NOT tried "Sauceman's" or "Spoon's" (they were closed) yet!

In order from best to worst in my opinion - Mac's Speed Shop, Smokys Burnt End BBQ, Jim N Nicks, Bar-B-Q King Drive In, The Clock, Bodrick's Barbq Rib Tips, and Yorkmont Cafe.

I believe that "Ranucci's BBQ & Grill" next door in Belmont beats all those joints in Charlotte!

Back