MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Default How much is a used smoker worth?

I have a Peoria Custom Cooker Backyard 24X48 insulated firebox with the pnuematic wheels about 3 yrs old all made out of 1/4in steel. Im needing to sell this thing unfortunatally. I paid $3200 for it. It has a little spotchy rust on the firebox but thats it. How much do you think its worth? Sorry I don't have pics yet but I will get some this weekend. Thanks mods for putting the last post in the correct place, sorry, I didn't see the general ads for sale. Thanks, SEan

Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMACK View Post
It has a little spotchy rust on the firebox
Oh man! That thing is worthless! I'll do you a favor and come take it off your hands.

Honestly, the rule of thumb for used stuff is usually 50% - 60% of original purchase price after a year or so depending on condition. However, with a Peoria, I bet there's high demand for something in good condition. You could probably ask a little more than 60% of original price.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

When I sell things of quality I generally start with an asking price that is a little high and then allow perspective buyers talk me down to the actual sale price. If your smoker is in good condition and you paid $3200 for it then advertise it for 80% of it's original price or about $2550. When you advertise your cooker include the phrase "negotiable to a point" or "not firm" so that the buyer will feel like he has some haggling room but will also realize that you have no intention of giving your cooker away, this way you get only serious enquiries and the best possible used price on your pit. The fact is that you have a quality, high end cooker that you're selling and not an average back yard cooker. 1/4 inch steel and insulated fireboxes are not that common in the classifieds and you should get a decent asking price for it that is a bargain for a buyer over a "new" price but also giving you back more of your $3200 investment.

Last edited by oldbill; 07-26-2013 at 10:01 AM..
oldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekingPorker View Post
Oh man! That thing is worthless! I'll do you a favor and come take it off your hands.

Honestly, the rule of thumb for used stuff is usually 50% - 60% of original purchase price after a year or so depending on condition. However, with a Peoria, I bet there's high demand for something in good condition. You could probably ask a little more than 60% of original price.
I would tend to agree with PekingPorker. These numbers seem pretty fair.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
SLCMACK

Thanks for the feedback. I don't absolutely have to part with it and I'm not giving it away. It would make a great cooker for someone.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Call Peoria Mfg, they should be able to help you out. Why are you selling it?
Dave

Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd decide what my absolute bottom price was first, then bump that up for negotiation. Generally, it's worth what the other guy is willing to pay as long as your minimum is made.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
kik_start
Full Fledged Farker

send me pictures and I'll make an offer.... I've been looking for a smoker
kik_start is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
SLCMACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kik_start View Post
send me pictures and I'll make an offer.... I've been looking for a smoker
PM me your number and I'll send to your phone, it will have to be this weekend. I only have access to a computer at work.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
SLCMACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Call Peoria Mfg, they should be able to help you out. Why are you selling it?
Dave

divorce

Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Great cooker... Wish I could afford to make an offer... but you know how that goes.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote