chicken Skin

this year chicken has been our strongest catagory, i believe we have 14 top 10 chicken calls out of 18 comps. Dont over think the process... just cook chicken and you will find that the best results come from the most simple means...

Yes JT a little more info :) The chicken you guys gave me this weekend was amazing. Taste, tenderness, and appearance and that piece obviously didn't even make your box.

I'd like to hear more about skinless as I've been told as a judge that the skin was part of the judging (local contests).

I'd like to hear more about skinless as I've been told as a judge that the skin was part of the judging (local contests).

The ONLY "judging" comment on chicken skin for KCBS comps is "If presented with skin on, you must at least taste the skin".

Heck, I've learned more from this thread then reading 1,000 others. :thumb:

You know me and my cupcake stuff..... :mad:

Don't want to derail this, but:

Do you all ever try cooking in the oven? Is cooking in the oven that much different? I am only considering this as an easier way to try to get consistent bite thru skin.

Thanks.

wallace

I like a stand-up (not beer can, but an open wire framework) chicken cooked at 500+ degrees in the oven. Wonderful brown, crispy, crunchy skin with moist, tender meat. Minute you hit that skin with sauce though it goes to rubber.

I use a filet knife and filet the fat off. You don't need to get it all off. just most of the thick areas.

No scraping of skins here and we get consistent 9s in tenderness. One word: Jaccard.
I quit using this a few months ago. I would pull the skins off and use a boneless breast as backing. Works great but found that it isn't necessary. Getting bite through without it or scraping. If a skin has a LOT of fat I will score it. KISS.

Back