cooking times

How much do they each weigh? And are you planning to pull them?

You should plan on 1.5 hours per lb (no combined). It may take longer and may take less, but if you plan for 1.5 hours you'll be close. The important thing to remember is time and temp isn't always a good indicator. They're done when they are done.

At 250*, you're looking at about an hour and 15 minutes a pound. For 2 of them, just go by the weight of the largest one for your estimated over all time, but make sure you keep an eye on the smaller one also. I'd take it a little past 190* before taking it off if it were me. I'd also make sure it got double wrapped in foil and into a warm, dry cooler insulated with old towels and newspaper for a couple of hours before pulling...just sayin'!!!

It depends on how long your therm stem is.

If you have a conventional short three inch or so stem like my old uds gauge mounted right below the cooking grate, at target temp of 240, typical eight pounders would be done in nine to ten hours. However, I've since read here how folks used long turkey fryer therms to measure the actual temp in the middle of the drum and it was thirty or so degrees higher there, so that kind of helps explain the speed of cooking with a UDS.

190 may not be the right temp if you are pulling. I've cooked several butts and never had one that was done for pulling at 190. Like BBQ Grail said, they are done when they are done.
I take my butts to 200-203 for pulling.

190 may not be the right temp if you are pulling. I've cooked several butts and never had one that was done for pulling at 190. Like BBQ Grail said, they are done when they are done.
I take my butts to 200-203 for pulling.

Cook 'em low-n-slow, and if the bone pulls clean at 190, rest in foil for a few hours and typically, they'll practically pull themselves.

Two factors to consider are whether you'll rest 'em in a hot cooler, and also whether cooking low-n-slow or High heat, especially if temping while in the foil. In that case, you're ABSOLUTELY correct. I've never had butts OR briskets done at 190 when cooking HH.

However, cooking 200-250 w/ a long foil rest is a different story, and I've had 'em end up kind of dry when letting them go to 200. It's not cool to open up the foil after a long rest and all that juice is in the foil, not the meat. It typically doesn't happen though if you pull 'em as soon as the bone pulls clean, unless your pit is too crowded and they didn't cook evenly.

Yep, and center grate runs 50-70 degrees hotter.. I usually bust out the et-73 to get an accurate grate temp..

Wow, I didn't know the center was that much hotter

I don't know where I'll use my ET-73 in the UDS I'm making. I had a cheap gauge on the side of my old one, but will probably use a long stem turkey fryer through a drilled out screw below the grate. I don't know if I'll monitor temps w/ the Maverick on the grate or through the exhaust vent, though.

2 things that I have never seen in the thousands of pounds of butts that I have cooked are:

1) A bone ready to pull out unyielding at 190*

2) A butt wrapped at 190* and placed in a cooler and drying out due to residual heat over cooking it. If it seems a tad dry, it's more than likely because it wasn't quite done and the cologen didn't break down coompletely.

I have noticed that taking a butt to between 193* and 195* before wrapping and placing in a cooler will yield good results if only putting a few in a 50 QT cooler. And they are usually falling apart on me when cooked to those temps and rested in said cooler for a few hours before pulling. If you pack a cooler with several butts, it becomes an oven due to the volume of hot meat. In that case, pulling around 190* or so may be the way to go. But I've always gone to the 193* to 195* range myself.

However, like some have said, some times it's done closer to 200* to 205* and some are done closer to 195*. A lot depends on the cut itself and when it wants to give up the love. If, for some reason it seems a little dry when you pull it, add a thin, carolina style sauce to it.

Back