MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Ribs, fatty, moink & chicken wings on my newly built uds!!

Finally after a week's delay, my first attempt at cooking on my newly built UDS!!

I bought all the ingredients that I needed for my first cook! My butcher got me 6lb. rack of ribs, took the membranes off and I opted to marinade them first with unsweetened pineapple juice before rubbing them later with Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rub (recipe courtesy of NorthwestBBQ, thanks bro!). I haven't seen any ready made rubs in the supermarket shelves here so I'm definitely settled with making my own rub.

I prepared a home made breakfast sausage of ground pork, marjoram, sage, dried parsley, thyme, ground coriander, pepper flakes, garlic, brown sugar, salt and a pinch of clove. I placed a lightly oiled cling wrap on a sushi mat and spread the mixed ground pork into a rectangular shape. I sauteed some garlic, onions, carrots, squash, red and green bell peppers and some spices for the stuffing.... spread it around the spiced ground pork, added boiled eggs, vienna sausage and grated cheddar cheese on top. The sushi mat is such a good tool for rolling a stuffed fatty. I had some extra fatty, made 4 moinks out of it and rolled them over with panko bread crumbs.

The chicken wings are now in the fridge marinated with orange juice, dark soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper flakes and minced ginger. I made some coleslaw as well and the dressing is now blending well with the cabbage, carrots, raisins, green and red bell peppers inside the fridge.

Below are the photos.... I finished preparing them around 1am. I'll start seasoning the drum later around 1pm (Sunday) and will start cooking hopefully an hour after. After reading some threads lengthily, my plan is to cook the ribs for 4 to 4.5 hours with the 2.5-1-.30 method with the temp. averaging about 225 to 230 degrees F. Do I have the right plan? Will be posting more photos as I start cooking later. I got pretty exhausted with all the kitchen preparation but it's all worth the wait. We're all set to devour everything by dinner time later

Thank you for looking at the pics... feedbacks are definitely welcome as this is my first ever cook with my newly built UDS!!! I hope it turns out well. It's 3am now and I need to get some zzzzzz's. Will post updates later.....

Last edited by erwinjohn; 11-17-2009 at 09:45 AM..
erwinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

That sounds and looks fantastic!

I was advised by a dear old friend once that the way he makes his award winning ribs is simply to use rib racks and to cook them four hours in the smoke at 250F

I really like the way they come out using that ultra-simple method - but lots of other folks swear by the 3-2-1 and such.

I'm looking forward to seeing your UDS . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

John, I can't wait to see the pics of your cooked meat!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
John, I can't wait to see the pics of your cooked meat!
Thanks Michael. I just woke up. I'm preparing some sriracha sauce and thai chili paste for the Hot Thai Chicken Wings. It's raining a little outside but that wouldn't ruin my resolve in doing my first UDS cook. Been delayed for a week but I can't wait any longer....

Old 11-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post

I was advised by a dear old friend once that the way he makes his award winning ribs is simply to use rib racks and to cook them four hours in the smoke at 250F

I really like the way they come out using that ultra-simple method - but lots of other folks swear by the 3-2-1 and such.

Thanks QansasjayhawQ! Thank you for the info bro. It's going to be 250 deg F then...

Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Sunday noon turned out to be sunny after all. I started seasoning my drum 30 minutes ago (130pm). A big charcoal store here ran out of stock of charcoal briquettes so I have to contend with using lump charcoal. I finally got to use my home-made chimney starter, loaded it with charcoal and dumped it in my firebox using the Minion method.

I opened 3 intake vents and in 10 minutes temp was at a steady 300 deg F. It's been running for 30 minutes now and temp went up to 350 deg. I'm very confident that I can bring the temps down to my desired level after an hour of seasoning so I can start cooking.

I took out ribs, fatty, moink and marinated chicken from the fridge. I rubbed the ribs with mustard and Dr. BBQ's Big Time Rib Rub. The fatty also got a good DBBTR rub. Chicken smells yummy from the marinade. I'll dump everything in the drum in about 30 minutes.

Updated photos as promised. Local beer is being cooled in the freezer. Ahhh... the pleasure of a smoky sunday.....

Last edited by erwinjohn; 11-17-2009 at 09:45 AM..
erwinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Sorry for the blurry photos.... I used a phone cam. Can't seem to find my point and shoot cam. Sigh....

Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post

We have basically the same recipe! I like your approach to ribs.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

John, that looks like a very interesting fatty! How did it turn out?

Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #10
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great job John! I like the fillings you used in your fattie. Looks and sounds tasty!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #11
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
John, that looks like a very interesting fatty! How did it turn out?
It turned out quite well Hugh. Actually the stuffing is a local recipe that we call EMBUTIDO. I was supposed to add raisins but there's too much stuffing already. I admire the rub that NorthwestBBQ shared to me. It went well with the stuffing. I'm going to make more of these in the future....

Old 11-08-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
erwinjohn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Great job John! I like the fillings you used in your fattie. Looks and sounds tasty!
Thanks Jeanie. All I had was imagination and that was all I needed. You sure have lots of that considering the wonderful prons that you've been sharing...

Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice Job!

Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #14
NorthwestBBQ

How did the ribs come out?
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
Phubar

Nice prepping pron!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote