Meat storage for contest.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm thinking about entering my first contest in November and I was wondering how to store the meat before cooking it. I'll be traveling on Friday morning, getting to the comp around noon on Friday, and will start to cook after midnight on Friday. Is it good enough to just store the meat in coolers with ice and do I need to plan on replenishing the ice durring the day on Friday?

NC Grimbo

In the cooler is the way to go. Lots of ice. Depending on your cooler, you should not have to replenish.

I use Coleman or Igloo 5-Day or whatever coolers. We pack the meat in it's own cooler (usually one of the 70 qt jobs to allow for lots of ice) and then fill it with ice. We've never had a problem. I usually have to chip away the ice to get to the meat for the inspector and then dump ice out after we get the last meat on the cookers. That's normally chicken at about 8 a.m. on Saturday.

Now, for the "other" chests (drinks, breakfast food, lettuce, etc.) we resupply the ice as needed. I usually take a 100+ qt cooler full of just ice for this purpose. Hey, I can buy it for under $2.00 for 20# at Sam's or pay $4-$5 per bag at the cook off!! :D

Everything said is right on about cooling.

HINT--the safest and easiest way to pass meat inspection is to leave everything in the wrapping provided by the meat market.
Inspectors really like that--stops any question of "prepping" the meat beforehand :lol:
Inspection is normally done very soon after you arrive, so plenty of time to prep.

Enjoy your event!

TIM

pay $4-$5 per bag at the cook off!!
The next one I am going to provides free ice the whole time. I think it was free at Shannon also, but was not aware of that and had plenty.

Oh yeah! Ice is OFTEN $4-$5 a bag. I really appreciate the events with FREE ice!! :D Though I always seem to bring enough!

Back