MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

Default Beef vs Pork Ribs

Since ribs are a hot topic today and I have very little experience with ribs, I thought I'd ask: What differences should one observe in cooking method between beef ribs and pork ribs? I've read up on the 3-2-1 for pork....does the same work for beef?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller :cool:
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
mykeystoy
Full Fledged Farker

Yes.. actually works better for beef if using a UDS. Time varies with temp. Pork ribs for me and my uds are 2-1~1.5-2 at around 250
mykeystoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

I do not use 3-2-1 for either pork or beef. It is pretty close for beef backs in my opinion, and wrapping beef backs doesn't hurt. Beef shorts are another story. They really don't cook like ribs. They are more like cooking brisket point.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

It depends how meaty your beef ribs are. I usually have to add quite a bit more time for mine than for pork.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

Does everyone just go off of the meat pulling back from the bone or temp or some other tell to know when either is done?

I guess if the meatier beef ribs are like brisket, then just probe tender?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller :cool:
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
scotttex
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

If you are talking about reg back ribs for beef. Don't bother even cooking them.

Short ribs, like someone said above, is not like cooking ribs at all. I cook them for 2-3 hours fairly hot (300-325ish) till the meat retreats about an inch off the bone and there is a good dark bark - then move them to the back of the pit for a few more hours till probe tender. wrap with butcher paper if you think they are getting too dark.

They will take 5-6 hours min. and can take as long as 7-8.
scotttex is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
ribs