MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Default New Smokers and Some Snacks

So I bought a used Traeger and Kamado on Craig's list last week, and my wife had Girl's Night on Friday. All I had to do was get the little one in the bed, and it was time to have a couple friends over and try out the Traeger.

Here is the Treager

DSC02540.jpg

And here is the Kamado. It needs some cleaning and a couple new tiles around the top. I'm thinking it will probably be in the garage until summer when I can get it out and spend quality time with it. If anyone has one of these, I'd love to hear from you about how they are.

kamado.jpg

Since it was just guys, plates seemed unneccesary. The menu was pretty Brethren based. I stole sawyerrt10's idea of sttuffing ABTs with some pimento cheese. They were great. The cheese melts up nicely, and I used pepper jack to add a little more heat. BBQ Grail helped me out when I asked him about Traegers and gave me things to look for when buying it, so I thought I needed to try MOINKs for the first time on here. I now see what all the hype is about; these things are pretty awesome. I used Byron's butt rubb, and some of my own sauce. The wings were a variation of a recipe I've seen on here too, but I mixed it up based on what was in the fridge, siracha, duck sauce, soy sauce and some honey. The tenderloin was just one of those pre-marinated things.

DSC02537.jpg

Here's everything finished up.

DSC02543.jpg

I'm pretty excited about the new cooker. As much as I work, and having a 2 year old, the ease of using this thing is going to be awesome for me. I wouldn't want it to be my only smoker, because I love playing with fire, and the tastes it creates, but I have a feeling this might be my most used one over the next few years. Thanks for looking.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, you scored a Traeger AND a Kamado in the same week??? Jealous mod!

Food looks great!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Nice spread and even nicer collection of cookers, congrats!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Wow, you scored a Traeger AND a Kamado in the same week??? Jealous mod!

Food looks great!
Its a long story .

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #5
LoneStarMojo
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats on the new smoker adoptions and man that grub looks so fine it makes me want to shovel that 8 inches of snow out from around the offset and fire it up! 2 thumbs up!
cuz it's not the end..."

Modified Char-Griller / Whalen 37.5" King Kettle [url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108709[/url] / Very near future UDS & 6' x 37" 325 gallon offset projects.
LoneStarMojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
Phubar

So hungry right now!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome score and nice looking grub/pron. Just made chicken using the sauce you based yours on, it's dang good. Made me hungry thanks!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #8
gtsum
Babbling Farker

good scores and good looking first cook
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

You are one lucky man. Great score on the cookers.
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
landarc

Great score Wrench, even if it was more than you expected. I had that happen once on a Valentines Day dance , never again.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote