MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Default site set-up tips to share?

I am looking for a few ideas or suggestions for an article I am writing to try and make things easier for folks with their site set-up at a contest. You know, like using PVC pipe cut to length to raise your work tables to a comfortable height, or using a bungee cord to hang a roll of paper towels from your EZ-up. I can’t forget my personal favorite; always have a new roll of TP in your supply box, spot a pot supplied material tends to be a bit thin and flimsy If you have any of these tips that you don’t mind sharing with others either post them here or shoot me a note. Thanks in advance for your help.

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
This Is How We Que It
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
I am looking for a few ideas or suggestions for an article I am writing to try and make things easier for folks with their site set-up at a contest. You know, like using PVC pipe cut to length to raise your work tables to a comfortable height, or using a bungee cord to hang a roll of paper towels from your EZ-up. I can’t forget my personal favorite; always have a new roll of TP in your supply box, spot a pot supplied material tends to be a bit thin and flimsy If you have any of these tips that you don’t mind sharing with others either post them here or shoot me a note. Thanks in advance for your help.
The Coleman hot water dispenser for washing dishes. It will cost you a couple of bills, but the wife loves it for cleaning and if you have a happy wife then you have a happy life.
This Is How We Que It is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Take less stuff. Best advice I ever got.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

No matter how nice the weather is.....tie the damn canopy down!

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Get a dry eraser board to hang up, put your schedule on it and stick to it.
Do purchase a $35 atomic clock, it'll save you a DQ.....
Keep your wife from inviting the whole dam family to watch you make boxes and have snacks between catagories..
There's more, I'll be back.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Meat@Slim's
Full Fledged Farker

Duct Tape, Head Lamp, Leatherman. Dedicated gloves for specific needs.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

A towel under the cutting board to keep it from walking around is one.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

the eraser board is excellent idea. put a subcategory with what ifs and the solutions also.
sometimes in the heat of the battle and fatigue of the day, a little reminder of what to do when the ttrain goes sideways might help.

i LOVE the original thought. will do. don't think you can remember every step, and every one is crucial.

tie the effn thing down. learned that one at my first kcbs this week-end...oh, and get walls.

Last edited by boogiesnap; 07-19-2010 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: more
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I make up a schedule of events and print out a copy for everyone so we are all on the same page. No questions about what happens when for the night crew allows a little sleep... And rope lights for the canopy which has to be tied down! Everyone else has a lot of great stuff too!!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

The Atomic clock is great! I have one that is from the Weather channel (got it from wally world) that has the temp and humidity which is great to know too!

Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

The disposable cutting boards from Smokey Mountain Smokers are a great time saver! Also, if using hotel pans, either line them with foil or use pan liners to help with cleanup.

For those of us who sweat, a little corn starch helps the latex gloves side on no meter how sweaty your hands are.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do a complete dry run at home. Set up everything as if you were at the comp. Don't go back in the house for anything. Make a list of everything you forgot.

Music.

Gold Bond.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

more than 1 chimney.
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

More than one LIGHTER. Preferably one with fluid! Not that it has EVER happened to me.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
DickQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I use a plastic laundry sink with a 5 gal. bucket under it for a drain. use a Y and hook up a short hose with a garden sprayer. The sink is deep and great for soaking cutting boards and pots. The sprayer makes it nice to hose off the boards and you have it to add water to your water pans. The legs on the sink pop right off and the sink makes a nice bin to carry stuff to and from the cookoff.

Dick's BBQ