MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Grass-Fed Beef versus Grain-Fed Beef...

Let the discussions begin... ***CLICK***

JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

I plan to stick with grain fed.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would not pay the premium for the stuff in the store, but if i can buy a 1/4 or 1/2 grass fed from a local guy, I would try it.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Wampus

Funny you should post this now, JD.

I was just discussing this with the mother of a friend last weekend. They raise 1 or 2 head of beef per year. Sell one and butcher the other.

She was explaining to me that their cattle graze on grass, but they also suppliment their feed with grain. She said that (in her opinion) the grain gives the meat a deeper, better flavor.

I've not compared them, myself and really have no idea. I know my brother paid out the NOSE for some fresh grass fed beef steaks shipped from Montana a couple of years ago. Said it was by far the best steaks he'd ever eaten.

So for me.....it's all heresay. I'll be interested in what the rest of y'all have to say.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
LT72884
Babbling Farker

ok, let me say this first before yall flame me. I grew up with a mom who is a member of the following:

Best friends animal sanctuary
WWF (no, not the wrestling. haha)
Wild Horse association

Being a great mom that she is, always taught me to be nice to the we lil creatures. So im for what ever option is nice to the cow! haha

I have HEARD that cows can eat grain but they shouldnt because it hurts them! As in stomach has a very hard time to digest the grain and or corn. There is a diff between grains and corn i presume?

thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

If my budget alowed it I'd buy local 4-H beef raised on grass suplemented with hay and grain, without all the extra garbage feed lot beef is fed.

Raised with loving care, every day, and fed like happy animals like to eat.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

I've begun to eat some more grass-fed beef primarily for the aiding in a healthier balance of Omega 3 fatty acids vs. Omega 6's and just more natural raising. I've ordered from two online places so far based on recommendations by a friend... have also begun to explore farms in upstate NY to see if their costs are cheaper but have not ordered from them yet.

US Wellness/Grassland Beef http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok
North Star Bison http://www.northstarbison.com/

I've got a small grass fed brisket in my freezer that I have not cooked yet. I'll likely have to adjust cooking usual cooking methods. Most likely I'll stick with grass fed for brisket, beef ribs or other BBQ cuts when I just want lots of fat, but for more everyday beef consumption I'd like to move to grass fed more often if I can.

It's just so expensive though
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-19-2011 at 11:48 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I have HEARD that cows can eat grain but they shouldnt because it hurts them! As in stomach has a very hard time to digest the grain and or corn. There is a diff between grains and corn i presume?

thanks
never mind. figured it out. They can indeed have it, just shouldn't be there main stapple. Kinda like how dog foods main ingredients are corn and wheat. i have never ever seen a dog eat a corn stalk before. But i have seen cows. haha.

I have not had any beef from grass feed. I should try it out though and see what happens

Old 03-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
landarc

I use a lot of grass fed beef and I prefer the taste. It is different than grain or formula fed beef but, I can like both. It is like milk or dark chocolate, they are both good in the right use.

I do prefer steaks medium rare verging on rare, so that is not a problem. I have cooked several grass fed and finished briskets and they were excellent, juicy and with great flavor and texture. Moisture was not an issue either.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I use a lot of grass fed beef and I prefer the taste. It is different than grain or formula fed beef but, I can like both. It is like milk or dark chocolate, they are both good in the right use.

I do prefer steaks medium rare verging on rare, so that is not a problem. I have cooked several grass fed and finished briskets and they were excellent, juicy and with great flavor and texture. Moisture was not an issue either.
thanks for the info. I found a local place that has grass fed free range organic beef. You can see all there cows out in the fields to. But they want close to 4.50$ a pound for ground beef. I bet it was cheaper 3 months ago! haha

Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

I eat both, bot prefer the grass fed for a host of reasons. Not the least of the matter is the infusion of Bt corn.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote