• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
First UDS

Thanks to the many posters on this site both good and bad......:clap:

I have been reading and working on my first UDS for the last several days and have made it through 270 pages.

The best thing is that I smoked a "Fatty" last night during the seasoning process, oh and it was great at breakfast this morning with hot biscuits.

The build is pretty much the basic build that I have been reading about on the past 270 pages. Starting with 8 pounds of Kingsford in the basket and adding 12 lit coals from a chimney it is up to 250 degrees in ten minutes. There was no problem holding this temperature for nine hours and using only 4.5 pounds of charcoal.

This thing is GREAT, I have been using a New Braunfels "Longhorn Deluxe" for several years and this thing is so much easier to keep the temperature stable and uses very little fuel. With only a $40 investment what can I say, it's GREAT.

I am a UDS believer now.......:thumb:

Haven't figured out the how to post pictures yet.........:oops:

Last edited:
First UDS Pictures

2vxomt3.jpg

2ahv2pt.jpg

14uxeua.jpg

Now we just need a good clean-up and nice paint, that will have to wait until I have finished cooking the ribs and chichen........ maybe another "Fatty".......:wink:

I'm not handy at all. But this thread has definitely got me interested in trying a build of my own. So I contacted Apex Drums inquiring about a food grade drum with a lid for a smoker, and they told me that prices range from $60 to $100 depending on the thickness. Seems a bit pricier than what others in this thread have been getting their drums for.

I guess my question is: What thickness does the drum need to be?

Temperature Probe Sealing?

What have been the best ideals for running your temperature probe through the side of the drum and sealing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Since you're in California, the thin metal is okay....

What have been the best ideals for running your temperature probe through the side of the drum and sealing it?

for probes the hole just needs to be big enough to fish the probe through, be sure to deburr the hole,
and you can use some aluminum foil to seal it for on the cheap...I have also used a wine cork and drilled it through the center just big enough to fit the probe wire...also on the cheap...

Last edited:
Since you're in California, the thin metal is okay....

for probes the hole just needs to be big enough to fish the probe through, be sure to deburr the hole,
and you can use some aluminum foil to seal it for on the cheap...I have also used a wine cork and drilled it through the center just big enough to fit the probe wire...also on the cheap...

Thanks N8man, on the cheap is a good thing..........

I'm not handy at all. But this thread has definitely got me interested in trying a build of my own. So I contacted Apex Drums inquiring about a food grade drum with a lid for a smoker, and they told me that prices range from $60 to $100 depending on the thickness. Seems a bit pricier than what others in this thread have been getting their drums for.

Try your local scrap yard. You might be able to get a usable drum much cheaper.

Page 300

I have made it to page 300....... this is going to take some time to get to the end.

Just have to keep reading while I am waiting on the ribs and chicken to finish in a couple of hours.......

Here's a pic of my UDS I built last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20130727_094007_839.jpg
    IMG_20130727_094007_839.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 723

I have bee fond of drilling out chrome plated brass automotive valve stems. That said, while it is easy if you have a valve tool and a drill press, there might be simpler solutions. Honestly you can probably do it without one of those tools, just not without both. It is a lot easier to drill out with the valve removed (so you might be able to pull it off with a hand drill). Drilling through the valve (did that a couple times when I did not feel like digging for my valve tool) is not much fun.

• Thanks
Reactions: RT

Don't worry about getting a food grade drum, look for an oil drum. When you burn it out it will be fine. The lined drums are a pain in the A$$. I think an old oil drum is thick enough.

I have bee fond of drilling out chrome plated brass automotive valve stems. That said, while it is easy if you have a valve tool and a drill press, there might be simpler solutions. Honestly you can probably do it without one of those tools, just not without both. It is a lot easier to drill out with the valve removed (so you might be able to pull it off with a hand drill). Drilling through the valve (did that a couple times when I did not feel like digging for my valve tool) is not much fun.

I use the 1/8th in. compression fitting you can buy at the auto part stores.

• Thanks

Thanks jcinadr, that sounds like a good option that I haven't thought of.

I use the 1/8th in. compression fitting you can buy at the auto part stores.

Hey Novass, are you talking about using it for the long stem temperature probe?

My question wasn't clear when I went back and read it but I was talking about the probe with the flexible cable for the meat temperature.

I used high temp silicone grommets from Grainger. One size for the probe to slide into snugly for pit temp, and a slightly larger size for the probe to be able to reach the meat. Note the machine screw heads just above the top and bottom grommets. Those are the grate levels. The larger one in the middle is for the probes to get to the meat on either or both of grates. You can plug the holes that aren't being used with a nail.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Back