Why do we cook ribs comp style?

KCBS tenderness criteria is based on "the small window" between "not done" and "overcooked". I was taught by one of there long time instructors that there tenderness criteria was set to fall in this small window in order to "challenge" the cook to hit the mark. As far as taste, I have no idea what they're looking for.

I did mine like that trigg guy once and they were so freakin sweet I could barely eat them. Like el matt I don't get why they do them in a way they don't even eat them in themselves. 1 question I've always wanted to ask Myron Mixon and those guys on that BBQ contest show...are you judging on how you like them or on how they would be in a contest?

Your right Johnny Trigg stated on a episode of BBQ Pitmasters he likes his ribs with salt and pepper only but cooks them how the judges like cause he wants the win.

I don't compete in BBQ. I like that small window between not done enough and overcooked. My experience at home is that my family prefers fall off the bone ribs, not me. I like sauce on my ribs, but not too much. I never pre-sauce them even at home. But, I hate overly thick "gloppy" sauce that is too sweet. I prefer a thin glaze that has a sweet and sour profile.

I have not judged a competition but have eaten quite a bit of competition ribs. What I have found in most of the ribs is that they taste very similar. It's because the rules are such that it places them into a box and cooks are dictated to cook the ribs in that fashion. I understand that there has to be certain criteria to be met to be judged but I think there should be some other rule or personal opinion thrown into the judging that would give the ribs and cooks a wider spectrum to have a wider variety of BBQ. It should be what people like, not what the rules have made it to be!

For me I like my ribs to have a little pull off the bone but not FOTB. I also don't like a lot of smoke to my ribs (it makes them taste hammy). I get a slight smoke going, wrap, and finish with sauce.

......I also don't like a lot of smoke to my ribs (it makes them taste hammy). I get a slight smoke going, wrap, and finish with sauce.

Smoke flavor should not make your ribs taste hammy but solution added ribs will taste hammy though.

I love my ribs tender either way. However after finally trying competition ribs I now prefer them to FOTB. Like many have said it has to do with the texture of the meat. If cooked too long FOTB is very mushy. I was ignorant for too long, but still will chow down on either rib.

I cook the best ribs I can and put them in the box. I would never turn anything in that I don't like to eat. The only minor modification is just adding a bit "more" of everything with the understanding that a judge is just going to eat one bite.

Back