General catering question - not BBQ :(

Drh7003

Full Fledged Farker
My daughter's sorority is doing a baked ziti fundraiser at her college for Autism Speaks- which is the organization they support. In the past, they did the baked ziti meal, but the girls who had done this in the past have graduated. Their dinner is an all you can eat meal (which I advised against). Generally, it is a meal for college students by college students. I have no part in this except she started asking me questions. I have limited experiences with a pasta meal. Our church used to do one but it was angel hair pasta and sauce. We figured on feeding 200, and I have those quantities.
So, does anyone have any experience with a baked ziti meal? My question is one of quantity. I know that a half pan serves about 8-10, a large pan serves 18-20.
They expect about 100, I originally figured on a half pound of pasta per serving so 1 lb would feed 4 or so. I guessed on sauce, but in my experience, with a meat sauce, we always had a lot of leftovers. The monkey wrench is the "all you can eat" part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I would say, this is a tough one to accurately figure, simply due to now knowing the composition of the crowd. Guys versus gals, athletes versus skinny people etc...

Since ziti is cheap and easily frozen, and they are doing it baked, I would go with 1-1/4 pound per person, you will need 125 pounds of baked ziti.

Going with landarc's 125# of finished product I would start with about 60# of dry pasta. Have the start with 2 gallons of sauce. He's that up and see his far it goes. They should be able to figure out how much more the will need to finish the rest. Make sure they have plenty of garlic bread. It is cheap and a great filler.

Back