MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
ModelMaker
Babbling Farker

Default Single ribs????

A guy on another forum (yes I do more than one) brought up a technique for cooking ribs I really hadn't thought about before.
He cooks his ribs as singles!! He pulls membrane, slices ribs into singles, puts in low smoke (no rub, etc.) when it hits a spot he likes he rubs them and puts them in a covered alum pan till tender then pulls and sauces. Says they are every bit as tender and juicy as full racks yet has more flavor due to extra surfaces.
Now my question, everybody gets to cook as they see fit, this is after all Merica. But how would you as judges react to opening a contest box full of single ribs with rub and sauce all over them? I know, I know judge what's in the box but who remembers their first look at Christmas ornament chicken, or square chicken that spit juice all down your chin? I always feel bad for the cooks ascared to try something new. I'm not afraid to judge something new..
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
didisea
Take a breath!

It like you said - judge what's in the box. As long as the rib is pork and has a bone in it, it's good. I'm not sure that "more flavor" is always a good thing. It needs to be a balanced taste between all the elements, including being able to taste the meat. It's like the rash of posts lately from people who are smoking stuff for 11 hours. One guy couldn't understand why the meat was bitter.
If more bark equals more flavor, then why don't people just thinly shave all the bark off a pork butt and turn it in?
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

As a judge I could care less what a team has to do, or how they do it, to put a box of meat in front of me. The only thing I care about is the quality of the product. Quite often cut edges will be sauced anyway so it really isn't any different than what we are already getting. Cooking for supper at home it's an interesting idea I may have to try.
rob g is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
dsouthmayd
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What other forum? I am curious enough to want to read more about this...
dsouthmayd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm guessing he keeps the ribs in their original consecutive order when smoking and when going into the pan? I just wonder how well they would present for appearance, considering uniformity and all? Would the cut edges stay straight enough so a little sauce could hide irregularities, would the pull-back be similar, would the length change? Sounds like an experiment is in the works.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
NoNotTheDuo
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouthmayd View Post
What other forum? I am curious enough to want to read more about this...

There was a discussion thread in the q-talk forum: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=278191
NoNotTheDuo is offline   Reply With Quote