MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
Since we are on the subject what is the best kosher salt to use for rubs?
I am not a fan of Morton's. I prefer Diamond.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
Dr. Endo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

You guys are amazing. I love being a part of this group. I think that the bottom line here would be - "you can use a variety of salts for your brine, but just know what salt your using and calculate by weight, solubility, and surface area"

I can do that, I guess this leaves me to try a couple more fillets next weekend. I'll update you all on my progress. I'm going to try the table salt again (just for the challenge) but consider size and weight of the granules and see if I can get it done right.
Dr. Endo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #18
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Endo View Post
I'm going to try the table salt again (just for the challenge) but consider size and weight of the granules and see if I can get it done right.
Why make things more difficult than they need to be? A box of Kosher salt will set you back <$5 and will give you a far more consistent product. You're working with a high cost protein in Salmon, no need to risk ruining another batch when there's a tried and true alternative easily available.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I smoke salmon a lot. The only time it was really too salty was when I only had about half the amount of Kosher salt I needed and substituted in some table salt for the rest. I do know that people have different tastes when it comes to saltiness. We generally prefer a 4:1 ratio of brown sugar:salt, but others use 3:1 or even 2:1. There are no hard and fast rules. Play with it until you get what you like.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

After dealing with over salted dried out salmon to many time I just quit trying to brine or salt it. I stuff it with crab and run the uds at 300 until it is cooked.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drum, salmon, smoked, uds, ugly