Below are some photos of my seasoning burn, and some pron from my first UDS run this past weekend:

Introducing the finally assembled Sumo Pig Smoker, Ver. 1.0
during its innaugural seasoning run​

SEASONING.jpg

A peek inside a cool-burning UDS

COOL_SMOKE.jpg

A look inside a blazing hot UDS

BLAZING.jpg

Monitoring the temps

BURIED2.jpg

Cooking some dinner on the Weber during my UDS burn-in

SIDE-BY-SIDE.jpg

Would you considered a perv for calling this kiddie-pron???

KIDDIE_PRON.jpg

Dinner's ready, while the Sumo Pig Smoker burns on, and on, and on ...

plated.jpg

Pipe dreams about version 2.0

Stacked.jpg

Weekend results from my first UDS cook!

loin.jpg

brisket.jpg

Brethren - hope all of your cooks are as joyful as mine has been this past weekend.

Keep on buildin' em and keep the home fires burnin' ...

SUMO_PIG.gif

Weber Silver - outfitted with the amazing Smokinator
Sumo Pig UDS, Version 1.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Below are some photos of my seasoning burn, and some pron from my first UDS run this past weekend:

Introducing the finally assembled Sumo Pig Smoker, Ver. 1.0
during its innaugural seasoning run​

attachment.php

A peek inside a cool-burning UDS

attachment.php

A look inside a blazing hot UDS

attachment.php

Monitoring the temps

attachment.php

Cooking some dinner on the Weber during my UDS burn-in

attachment.php

Would you considered a perv for calling this kiddie-pron???

attachment.php

Dinner's ready, while the Sumo Pig Smoker burns on, and on, and on ...

attachment.php

Pipe dreams about version 2.0

attachment.php

Weekend results from my first UDS cook!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Brethren - hope all of your cooks are as joyful as mine has been this past weekend.

Keep on buildin' em and keep the home fires burnin' ...

attachment.php

Nice pics... must have been all in a dream

and I 'Q as well as I post!!! :icon_blush:

SUMO_PIG.gif

Weber Silver - outfitted with the amazing Smokinator
Sumo Pig UDS, Version 1.0

Last edited by a moderator:
I had last week off and made myself an UDS. I did spare ribs that came out great this past weekend.

My exhaust is 8 1/2" holes in the lid. My inlets are 3 3/4" nipples with caps and a valve on one of the inlets. The nipples are attached with conduit nuts.

After I was done cooking I wanted to shut the fire down. I capped off the inlets and closed the valve. The temp went down to 180* and stayed there. I had to use foil to plug the exhaust holes to get the fire snuffed out.

Here is my question: Do you think air is getting past the inlet nipples since they are only attached with conduit nuts? Should I use hi temp silicone on the outside around the nuts to seal the nipple and the drum hole? Or does air get in through the exhaust holes and I'll need to plug them each time I want to snuff the fire? If so I can make a ring to put on the lid that would cover all the holes at once.

Here is my question: Do you think air is getting past the inlet nipples since they are only attached with conduit nuts? Should I use hi temp silicone on the outside around the nuts to seal the nipple and the drum hole? Or does air get in through the exhaust holes and I'll need to plug them each time I want to snuff the fire? If so I can make a ring to put on the lid that would cover all the holes at once.

Cecil,

I have the same setup with the original lid and I just use these when shutting down the UDS, so my answer is, yes you also need to close off the exhaust ports.
plug_uds.jpg

Ok, Got my drum and heading down to the big box store to get the parts and hardware. So, let me get this straight. Intake holes are 3 on the bottom, 2" up. Grill rack 8" down from top. Temperature gauge 1" below grill rack.

Does this sound right??? Be back from store in about an hour or so :lol:

I had last week off and made myself an UDS. I did spare ribs that came out great this past weekend.

My exhaust is 8 1/2" holes in the lid. My inlets are 3 3/4" nipples with caps and a valve on one of the inlets. The nipples are attached with conduit nuts.

After I was done cooking I wanted to shut the fire down. I capped off the inlets and closed the valve. The temp went down to 180* and stayed there. I had to use foil to plug the exhaust holes to get the fire snuffed out.

i can't get mines air tight enough to snuff the fire out. so when i am done cooking on it, i dump my charcoal basket into the weber to save it.

Concrete in bottom?

I read all the way through #3367, so I feel I've earned a few questions...

I got a free drum last week, got all the liner off and it just need to make a coal basket and a handle for the lid. Today found out I have a freebee stainless drum available in a couple weeks, so I'll use the steel one as a test build.

I understand the 'KISS' and this is a proven design, but I can't help but tinker:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

I only thought of this because I'm in the construction trade. Concrete/sand is often used to add thermal mass - "thermal enertia" for radiant floors, concrete filled cinder blocks for a greenhouse - or more closely related to this, a thermal mass wood stove, which is a 30 gal drum inside a 55 gal, with the space in between filled with mason's sand.

I'll let it cure until the weekend and give it a burn to see what happens. Whacha think?

Last edited:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

I only thought of this because I'm in the construction trade. Concrete/sand is often used to add thermal mass - "thermal enertia" for radiant floors, concrete filled cinder blocks for a greenhouse - or more closely related to this, a thermal mass wood stove, which is a 30 gal drum inside a 55 gal, with the space in between filled with mason's sand.

I'll let it cure until the weekend and give it a burn to see what happens. Whacha think?

I think you just lost 2" of usable space and added a back brace/lifting belt to your wish list.

I have a pizza pan bolted to the bottom of my charcoal basket and there was a piece of paper in the bottom of the drum and it never burned so I'm not to sure about your concrete idea. Also I've seen concrete explode from to much heat. One piece was thrown over twenty feet.

I got a free drum last week, got all the liner off and it just need to make a coal basket and a handle for the lid. Today found out I have a freebee stainless drum available in a couple weeks, so I'll use the steel one as a test build.

I understand the 'KISS' and this is a proven design, but I can't help but tinker:

$4 mod to see what it changes - I poured 2" of concrete in the bottom of the drum to act as an additional heat sink. Do you think I just created a longer get-up-to-cooking-temp time with little benefit ? (and
just added 60 lbs of dead weight?) I was just trying to improve on the set-it and forget-it of the drum, and temp swings when opening the lid.

Im beginning to think all people who want to build their first UDS need to write the following on their forehead:

K.I.S.S

We arent building a space shuttle here, thousands have been built and they all work extremely well IF they are made as outlined. Nothing needs to be that complicated. You light it, wait for temp, throw meat in, wait and then take meat out.... Its simple, efficient and reliable already, moreover it yields consistent results time after time... WHY CHANGE THINGS... Its a Volkswagon for farksake... it does what it does and it does it very well.

Beerwolf, I agree that first time builds should be simple but some can't help but to tinker. I am one of those.

I kept nmy first build simple and am looking to make a second one but with some design changes I am still working on just to see the difference.

Beerwolf, I agree that first time builds should be simple but some can't help but to tinker. I am one of those.

I kept nmy first build simple and am looking to make a second one but with some design changes I am still working on just to see the difference.

There is nothing wrong with building a better mousetrap... my point is to make sure you understand the mousetrap first before you start changing it... you will probably find that it will do all you want and your mods might be reserved to a bottle opener, shelf or a set of wheels or a trick paint job

With the extra 2 inches on the bottom that would mean your cooking grate will have to be 2 more inches higher. That would give you less space between the grate and the lid. Are you planning on using a grill lid instead of the flat lid?

Cecil,

I have the same setup with the original lid and I just use these when shutting down the UDS, so my answer is, yes you also need to close off the exhaust ports.
plug_uds.jpg

Thanks for letting me know I'll need to block the exhaust holes. I think I'll just use frig. magnets to block the holes.

There is nothing wrong with building a better mousetrap... my point is to make sure you understand the mousetrap first before you start changing it... you will probably find that it will do all you want and your mods might be reserved to a bottle opener, shelf or a set of wheels or a trick paint job

you very well might be right. I am looking into adding wheels and a shelf.

always KISS... why screw up/with a proven thing?...lol

simple mods..

wire rack and a handle off of an old grill...modded 2 days ago. bottle opener next

Attachments

• IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,310
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,303
Back