MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Busaboyjd
Found some matches.

Default Wood

I see a lot of folks on here use Cherry wood for smoke, is it only from fruit bearing trees or can you use the wild cherry that has the small, non-edible berries?

Does the wood have to cure then get soaked or can you use green wood when smoking? Any dangers in woods? All I have ever used is Mesquite and Hickory chunks out of the bag from the home store...

Thanks
JD in VA
Busaboyjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

I have only used Cherry wood from a fruit tree. Your wood should be dried, if it is wet it will smolder too much and you may not get clean smoke out of it. Maybe someone else will chime in about the wild cherry trees.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

I would not use orchard harvested Chery wood for smoking. Why? Due to the chemicals used to spray the trees that are absorbed and possibly released when smoldering and getting into the food.
I use only Wild cherry wood , my friend has a farm. I never moisten/soak any wood.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaboyjd View Post
I see a lot of folks on here use Cherry wood for smoke, is it only from fruit bearing trees or can you use the wild cherry that has the small, non-edible berries?

Does the wood have to cure then get soaked or can you use green wood when smoking? Any dangers in woods? All I have ever used is Mesquite and Hickory chunks out of the bag from the home store...

Thanks
JD in VA
Yes you can use "choke Cherry", wild cherry, or ornamental cherry to smoke with. They are similar and have a lighter flavor than orchard cherry.

Yes the wood has to be "seasoned" or dried for 4 to six months depending on the size. I never soak wood prior to use, just add to coals.

You can also buy chunks of wood from doitbest.com and then pick up at a local hardware store and pay no shipping charges. They have apple, cherry, and pecan as well as alder, hickory, and mesquite.

IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I have a more or less wild cherry in our yard and have used trimmings from it.

I dry it before using. A couple months in a dry spot is probably enough. If you're in a hurry, put a couple pieces in an oven with a pilot light or put it off to the side of your grill or smoker where it is hot but not hot enough to ignite it.

I don't bother soaking any wood I use for smoking. I control air to keep it smoking vs. burning.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Wild cherry, known here as black cherry, works great! It grows wild here so plenty available and I like the smoke flavor. Seems to add a nice color as well.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Busaboyjd
Found some matches.

Awesome! Thanks for all the great replys, I'll try some scraps I have in a wood pile this weekend and report!
Busaboyjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lots of good info here on wood, scroll way down in the attachment for that.
This can be found in the Bandera 101 stickies in the yellow section up top.
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1211119502

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
KotaChuk678
On the road to being a farker

Thanks a million, just put in my order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Yes you can use "choke Cherry", wild cherry, or ornamental cherry to smoke with. They are similar and have a lighter flavor than orchard cherry.

Yes the wood has to be "seasoned" or dried for 4 to six months depending on the size. I never soak wood prior to use, just add to coals.

You can also buy chunks of wood from doitbest.com and then pick up at a local hardware store and pay no shipping charges. They have apple, cherry, and pecan as well as alder, hickory, and mesquite.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just like Woodbutcher said ^^^^^^
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

How about Crabapple trees? I've got gobs of Crabapple branches from my house

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
How about Crabapple trees? I've got gobs of Crabapple branches from my house
The apple I use is actually from an ornamental crabapple that someone cut down and advertised on Craigslist as "free fire wood."

Edit: You live in a Crabapple tree?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
spider22
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
Wild cherry, known here as black cherry, works great! It grows wild here so plenty available and I like the smoke flavor. Seems to add a nice color as well.
We have black cherry here in New England as well and it works very well. I think Apple might have a little better flavor but is also harder to come by mostly because you do not want to cut any living Apple trees.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

My experience has been most trees that grow fruit; nuts; or hardwoods are good for smoking... I have some Pear, Pecan, Oak, and lots of Hickory in my woodpile .. need to get me a tarp.. lol
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

My woodpile.. Pear is Closest on the right.. then pecan/oak.. all Hickory on the far end

Last edited by DownHomeQue; 05-26-2015 at 11:45 AM..
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->