Camp Chef pellet smoker experience

RandyP

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I currently have a large BGE have recently purchased a Camp Chef vertical pellet smoker (within the last year). So far I have had to replace the meat probes, the auger fan, the main smoker Thermocouple, and the control panel with main pcb.The Camp Chef customer service has been absolutely fantastic.....but I can’t help from wondering if this is the normal Camp Chef experience?

Additionally, has anyone tried the new Weber Smokefire pellet grill? Any thoughts?

I definitely haven’t seen that experience frequently on the web, except for perhaps the meat probes. I have heard of problems with them, but I’ve also had problems with my Maverick thermometer meat probes.
I have the smokepro DLX so not the same style as you, but after 3 months it’s been flawless. Admittedly that’s a short period of time though.

I have a camp chef. I’ve had quite a few issues with it and yes, they are great at replacing parts at no charge. Although, I hate their fedex ground method. Once I needed a set screw for the fan motor that could’ve been thrown in an envelope with a stamp and arrived in a few days, but fedex ground took almost two weeks.

I’m not sure if I got a lemon or I just used the hell out of it. I fire it up 3-5 times a week and have burnt out a motor, cracked a fan blade, burnt out all the meat probes, got water in the pellet auger causing them to swell and seize, had a rusted hopper lid, broken a set screw on the motor, and had a corroded thermometer affect how the grill heats up erratically.

I’ve taken the think apart numerous times, learned a lot, and then probably messes a few things up myself. It’s cooked a lot of great meals, but also ruined a few cookouts due to reliability.

Now, I’ve ordered a new offset set to arrive around July. Part of my motivation is to not have any moving parts or electrical so nothing other than wood issues/supply can ruin my cooks. I’ll be using the camp chef for smaller or quicker cooks. But plan on running the offset most of the time. I’m doing my last brisket on the camp chef as I type this out.

The only problem I was able to find when researching was somebody on amazing ribs who seemed to have a lemon. This person did not respond to the moderator for clarification of his/her issues.

I did have some wifi issues when I first got mine but they fixed that with a software update. I don't use it a ton though - average 1x/week. Customer service has been great figuring out the wifi stuff.

I think if the weber smoke fire was without its issues, I may have gone that direction - because it's Weber. My guess is the 2nd generation version is going to be great. However, with the Camp Chef, the sear box was the deal closer for me. Love it.

In a parallel universe, however, where I a not a cheap SOB, I would have a Mak 2-star.

Last edited:
I have a camp chef. I’ve had quite a few issues with it and yes, they are great at replacing parts at no charge. Although, I hate their fedex ground method. Once I needed a set screw for the fan motor that could’ve been thrown in an envelope with a stamp and arrived in a few days, but fedex ground took almost two weeks.

I’m not sure if I got a lemon or I just used the hell out of it. I fire it up 3-5 times a week and have burnt out a motor, cracked a fan blade, burnt out all the meat probes, got water in the pellet auger causing them to swell and seize, had a rusted hopper lid, broken a set screw on the motor, and had a corroded thermometer affect how the grill heats up erratically.

I’ve taken the think apart numerous times, learned a lot, and then probably messes a few things up myself. It’s cooked a lot of great meals, but also ruined a few cookouts due to reliability.

Now, I’ve ordered a new offset set to arrive around July. Part of my motivation is to not have any moving parts or electrical so nothing other than wood issues/supply can ruin my cooks. I’ll be using the camp chef for smaller or quicker cooks. But plan on running the offset most of the time. I’m doing my last brisket on the camp chef as I type this out.

2 weeks? The parts come from China?

2 weeks? The parts come from China?

They come wherever they are based out of. I think in Utah if I remember correctly. I live on the east coast on Long Island. By the time they pack and box the order, fedex comes to grab it, then they truck it across the country. It’s about two weeks. Maybe 12 days.

It’s ridiculous.

Back