My first Brisket (pron included)

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well ladies and gents, I finally smoked my first brisket. The results were good overall but I think I might have screwed up at the end.

Blueprint: 5# flat from Costco, basic dry rub, no foil. On a UDS that was rock solid from 220*-250* for 6 hours. Started fat cap down, flipped it 4 hours in. No mop or baste. Pulled it from UDS when I was able to stick the thermo probe in with little resistance (was testing tenderness every hour). Did not monitor internal temps. It looked beautiful coming off the smoker.

Had to let it rest from 3:30 to 5:30 due to smoke ending earlier than I planned. Rested wrapped in foil and four kitchen towels inside of an igloo cooler. Sliced it (still warm) and served on sub rolls with a creamy horseradish sauce, swiss cheese, and homemade BBQ sauce. End product delicious.

Now for the screw up. It was not as juicy as I hoped. It was fall apart tender but seemed slightly dry at some places. I am thinking the 2 hours of resting was not good. Thoughts? Enjoy the pron.

Last edited:
Nice job, that Sandwhich looks awesome! It wasn't the rest that dried it though. Looks like it was cooked just a little bit longer than it needed. If you're looking for moist brisket, you'll need to either wrap in foil or inject. Try injecting and then wrapping after it hits about 150ish. That sandwhich made me hungry. I wish my first brisket looked that good.

Thinking maybe resting it in the cooler for that time might've did it in.........but sure looks good anyway....

We all learn from our mistakes.
The bbq mistakes just eat a little better than most :-D
Great first timer :thumb:

Paul

Peteg, sounds like good advice. Thanks for the input everybody, next one will be better.

darthtrader, I've heard of the "hot and fast" method I'll check out the link, thanks.

The rest did not cause the dryness, it looks to me that you overcooked it slightly. Once you get close, you need to test more often than every hour, it can over cook in 15 minutes once you are close. It does not look bad though, and I would certainly have eaten that sandwich. I check every 15 minutes once I determine that I am close.

By the way, I disagree slightly with Pete, I do not foil or inject and I often get a nice juicy brisket. The trick seems to be getting a good piece of meat and hitting the level of being done. A little under and it can be tough, a little over and it is dry. I think foiling and injecting increases your odds of a good brisket and buys you a little more internal flavor, which is why I would certainly inject for competitions.

I always foil mine after it has been in the smoke for 3 to 4 hrs, it just seams easyer to me, but that shure looks good

i have never cooked a brisket (fear of failure i think lol ) yours looks great i hope my first one turns out that good

Nice lookin' brisket! This one looks really good so, think of how good your next one will be.

i have never cooked a brisket (fear of failure i think lol ) yours looks great i hope my first one turns out that good

Gotta overcome that intimidation. I just did my first brisket a few weeks ago- I was super nervous too, so I did a pork loin also as a back up. The brisket was GONE, but most of the pork was left over. I didn't foil it (tho next time I will) and it was a little dry, but still very tasty. Not competition results, but my guests agreed it was well worth it.

Well ladies and gents, I finally smoked my first brisket. The results were good overall but I think I might have screwed up at the end.

Blueprint: 5# flat from Costco, basic dry rub, no foil. On a UDS that was rock solid from 220*-250* for 6 hours. Started fat cap down, flipped it 4 hours in. No mop or baste. Pulled it from UDS when I was able to stick the thermo probe in with little resistance (was testing tenderness every hour). Did not monitor internal temps. It looked beautiful coming off the smoker.

Had to let it rest from 3:30 to 5:30 due to smoke ending earlier than I planned. Rested wrapped in foil and four kitchen towels inside of an igloo cooler. Sliced it (still warm) and served on sub rolls with a creamy horseradish sauce, swiss cheese, and homemade BBQ sauce. End product delicious.

Now for the screw up. It was not as juicy as I hoped. It was fall apart tender but seemed slightly dry at some places. I am thinking the 2 hours of resting was not good. Thoughts? Enjoy the pron.

Here is great advice from some of our founding members.
KCquers ROADMAP in QTALK.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

Back