BBQ Brethren "Local Yokels" Throwdown!!!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Banner.gif
Our new category is called...

[size=+2]"Local Yokels!"[/size]
new-law-farmers-market-million-fine.jpg

Get fresh, get local!

...as chosen by Kathy's Smokin', the winner of the With Bacon Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING!
Kathy's Smokin' said:
I'd like to call the next TD the "Local Yokels" Throwdown. I'd like to encourage everyone to use local ingredients so I'm asking for each entry to contain two local ingredients (for the whack-a-doodles this means MORE THAN ONE local ingredient). Doesn't matter what they are, just where they came from. They could be from your garden or pinched from your neighbour's garden. They could be bought at a farmers market or at the farm down the road. They can be found in the "Local Produce" section of your supermarket or in the "traditionally raised" meat section. Anything local fits and give us two different local ingredients, please. Stories about growing the ingredient or trips to a farm or farmers market, etc., are welcome and encouraged. Yahoo!!

If you do not read and enter a dish that properly meets this category, your dish will be mercilessly disqualified by the asshat-in-chief!

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/29 through Sunday 7/8.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 7/9.

Before submitting an entry to this Throwdown, make sure you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Hmm, I figured bigabyte would be the expert on cooking yokels. I do know that Guerry likes to cook them over an open pit while he yells at everybody for stealing his food.

I understand bigabyte is a fan of VERY local ingredients. :shock:

CD

I think it's important to note that "Yokels" is plural, so if you only have one Yokel in your entry you will get DQ'd.

Just sayin'...

Can I cook one yokel two ways to count as my two local yokels? And if my yokels come from a local chicken would that be a double word score?

How local must a yokel be to be a local yokel? :razz:

Say within three hours drive. The "100 mile diet" people use 100 miles but I know for a fact we need to be more generous with us whack-a-doodles. It's not really about a line drawn in the sand, it's more about supporting farmers and farmers markets close to you, supermarkets that feature local produce and meat or growing your own food. It could be as simple as using a tomato and an onion from your own garden. It could be as detailed as a family day trip to a farm an hour away. The two local ingredients don't have to be the featured ingredient, like say ribs, they can be the tomato and onion you make a BBQ sauce from. Just have some fun looking at where the food you serve comes from and support your local farmers if you can. If it's not fun, we're overthinking it.

It's not really about a line drawn in the sand, it's more about supporting farmers and farmers markets close to you, supermarkets that feature local produce and meat or growing your own food.

Oh, so this is the bleeding heart liberal Throwdown. :thumb:

I'm not sure how bigabyte is going to take this, but hopefully badly. :heh:

CD

Back