Kitchenaid Stuffer

lookwow

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I have the grinder attachment for the KitchenAid. has anyone used the stuff attachment for that to make brats and stuff like that? It doesnt cost much for that part and thought i would give it a try to see how I like making suasage but I dont want it to turn me off from the idea if it just works like crap.

Honestly for me the stuffer really was a pain in the butt to work with. I doubt I am doing something wrong, and no matter what it really sucks at stuffing. If you really want to take the time to make sausage more than once a year then get a vertical sausage stuffer with the hand crank. Worth the money compared to the hassle of working with a lesser product.

I started with the KA grinder/stuffer. I only do 5# batches, so I still grind with it, but got a stuffer from Northern Tool and it is way way better. The KA stuffer is a PITA to work with.

It doesn't work as well as if you had a dedicated grinder/stuffer, but if you aren't making a really large batch, it should work ok. Don't know where you are in WI, but you might look for a local store (Bass Pro if you have one nearby) that sells sausage making equipment. Might find one cheaper than the Kitchen Aid that still fits. I just recently upgraded to an LEM #5 grinder/stuffer, and I love it, but still think I'll add the LEM 5lb. stuffer as well. From what I can tell, it should make stuffing easier for just one person to do. That can be a little tricky with either the KA or even the nicer grinder/stuffer. Still a newbie to doing sausages, but enjoying it for sure!

Last edited:
I use it. Last two times it worked good for me. Other times a pain. I just do small batches though.
I am getting the dakotah sausage maker and will still use ka to grind with.

I haven't had much luck with the smaller grinder stuffer attachments. Actually the probem is running ground meat back through the grinder. I have a larger grinder now and use the stuffer attachment. Its a bit easier to run the second grind through with the larger machine.

I also have a vertical stuffer. I like the finished product from the grinder/stuffer verses the vertical stuffer.

Well what you all said was kind of what I figured. i think for the price ill just get a vertial crank stuffer instead and juse the KA for the grinding. Thanks for the input.

The KA grinder and stuffer arent the best but they do work. The key is keeping everything very cold. I put the attachments, grinders, etc in the freezer for awhile before using them. Also, I put the meat in the freezer for a bit after grinding. Keeping it as cold as you can allows it to go through the attachment easier. I do part of a batch and put the rest of the meat in the fridge this time to keep it cold. Works pretty well.

I like the grinder, hate the stuffer. I don't do a lot at a time, and the stuffer still annoys me.

Well what you all said was kind of what I figured. i think for the price ill just get a vertial crank stuffer instead and juse the KA for the grinding. Thanks for the input.

you're going down the same route I did.

I started with the cheap Warner grinder. Couldn't stuff with it so I bought a vertical stuffer.

Warner grinder then gave out on me. Had to make due with the KA grinder for a large batch I was doing. It works good, just slow.

I then bought a 1/3HP, #8 LEM grinder from Bass Pro.

I now use it for stuffing. Its a bit harder in some ways then the vertical stuffer, but the second grind makes for a much better sausage.

I say all that to say if I had to do it all over again I would have been better off buying the large grinder from day one. You might want to consider going that route. The clean up of that large grinder verses the KA and vertical stuffer is the same, if not easier for the single grinder.

Back