Rednecked Ugly Drum Smoker

He the guy who makes those little adjustable hammers with the liquid filled hour-glasses in'em? Those things sure break easy. Can't drive a nail worth a damn, neither.

Yeah, yeah .... He makes those pink granite chopping blocks too. Every chef who is concerned with the modulus of elasticity should own one.

One Does What One Can

That is a spiffy layout. The template would be idiot proof. At work we figure arc length on the outside diameter. Knowing that 8 holes evenly spaced in a circle will fall at 45° to each other, and working (for example) with a 24" diameter circle, each degree will equal .209". 45° will equal 9.42" measured on the outside diameter. Starting anywhere, we layout 7 locations at 9.42" apart. Then we snap a line from the center point of the circle to each of the 8 marks on the outside diameter. I like your idea better.

The engineers I work with have that information on the computer, it just never makes it into a template. The bad part is the young guys on the shop floor don't know there are 360 degrees in a circle and don't know what those little lines on a tape measure are.
I have said layout in a PDF Format at work, although at work I have access to a 54" inkjet printer and didn't have to tile print my copy, if anyone's interested, perhaps I could email the file...I'll have to check the file size....I need to pretty much make everything I do idiot proof....I am so easily distracted these days:lol:

Hootch By Any Other Name

Back when I lived in Fayetteville, I sampled some fine product from your part of the state. I never knew who made it, and I don't want to:lol: :wink: :cool:

Nice work on the cooker!
I hear rumours of it from time to time...but have no first hand experience:rolleyes:

Starrett? aint he the guy who makes them C Clamps too... I HATE THOSE THINGS, fellow has to crank on those screws for hours and they dont hold nuthin together.

C Clamps. Heheeee. Hehee. They hate it when I call them that. Almost as much as when I refer to blueprints as "cartoons". What's even funnier, they aren't even blueprints anymore. And on top of that, they aren't full size. I'm lucky to see an 11 X 17 shop drawing. (I have cheaters on my safety glasses)

Starrett? aint he the guy who makes them C Clamps too... I HATE THOSE THINGS, fellow has to crank on those screws for hours and they dont hold nuthin together.

Holy Fark....Wish I had more stock in Starrett.
Make my living with his equipment and tools.
http://www.starrett.com/

doesn't have much to do with Q unless you want a precise
measurement on the size and shape of what you are cooking,
I just want to say it IS a QUALITY product.

Thank you very much. Man, computers sure make layout easier versus the golden days of T-Squares and Light Tables...sometimes I miss them, then I come to my senses...

At least we know what a T-square, parrallel bar, and leroy kit is.
I miss them because I felt more creative but the puters are the way to go.
Maybe we should start a new thread about this subject.
Amazing how this developed.

Fired her up this morning at 7:00 am and as of right now, 8:22 pm, still going strong at 250 degrees[/quote]

Sorry to be a pest, but I have yet another question. How do you build your fire to get a burn that long? Do you fill the fire box and only light a few coals on top and let it burn from the top down? How much charcoal do you light, 1/3 of a chimney? I assume the trick is to make sure you don't get too much charcoal going to early. Hard to tame down a hot fire.

Spread the Wealth

Fired her up this morning at 7:00 am and as of right now, 8:22 pm, still going strong at 250 degrees

Sorry to be a pest, but I have yet another question. How do you build your fire to get a burn that long? Do you fill the fire box and only light a few coals on top and let it burn from the top down? How much charcoal do you light, 1/3 of a chimney? I assume the trick is to make sure you don't get too much charcoal going to early. Hard to tame down a hot fire.[/quote]

I pour about thirteen inches deep of charcoal into my basket,then place in four or five fist sized chunks of smoking wood, mixing it in so as to lite at different times during the burn. I then take from the center top of the filled basket about eight or nine pieces of charcoal, being careful to leave the voided space intact,and place that into my charcoal chimney to lite. Light it and let it ash over well, then carefully, I use long tongs, place the lit charcoal back into the void left earlier in the charcoal basket. I then, carefully, I wear good heavy silicone gloves, place the charcoal basket into the bottom center of the drum. About fifteen minutes later temps are up to 225-250 degrees and it's party time in the drum!!!:smile:

Sorry to be a pest, but I have yet another question. How do you build your fire to get a burn that long? Do you fill the fire box and only light a few coals on top and let it burn from the top down? How much charcoal do you light, 1/3 of a chimney? I assume the trick is to make sure you don't get too much charcoal going to early. Hard to tame down a hot fire.

I pour about thirteen inches deep of charcoal into my basket,then place in four or five fist sized chunks of smoking wood, mixing it in so as to lite at different times during the burn. I then take from the center top of the filled basket about eight or nine pieces of charcoal, being careful to leave the voided space intact,and place that into my charcoal chimney to lite. Light it and let it ash over well, then carefully, I use long tongs, place the lit charcoal back into the void left earlier in the charcoal basket. I then, carefully, I wear good heavy silicone gloves, place the charcoal basket into the bottom center of the drum. About fifteen minutes later temps are up to 225-250 degrees and it's party time in the drum!!!:smile:[/quote]

yeah what he said... got a drum part goin on at the house as we speak.

I pour about thirteen inches deep of charcoal into my basket,then place in four or five fist sized chunks of smoking wood, mixing it in so as to lite at different times during the burn. I then take from the center top of the filled basket about eight or nine pieces of charcoal, being careful to leave the voided space intact,and place that into my charcoal chimney to lite. Light it and let it ash over well, then carefully, I use long tongs, place the lit charcoal back into the void left earlier in the charcoal basket. I then, carefully, I wear good heavy silicone gloves, place the charcoal basket into the bottom center of the drum. About fifteen minutes later temps are up to 225-250 degrees and it's party time in the drum!!!:smile:[/quote]

Excellent. That's the way it works in my Green Egg. Seems strange that the fire burns down rather than up, but it has to go where the fuel is. Thanks.

Drum Upgrade

I thought something was lacking in my drumpit. But not anymore!!
1.jpg2.jpg
Now, that's much, much better!!!
3.jpg
I think the value of my drum has just increased!!!!
Big Thanks to Spicewine Ironworks...

I love it! I've been intrigued with the barrel smokers since I first saw the LDS, but yours looks absolutely great! Excellent job.

Keri C

Little trick on charcoal, take a 5 gallon bucket and put it on scale, add 12# charcoal. Mark inside bucket. Pour into basket, use weed burner (fire good....) to light center. Let burn close lid. When happy with temp (slight overshoot) open up add smoking wood, grate , meat and sit back and have a few. :biggrin: Adjust line on bucket next time as to not waste charcoal.

Back