MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #61
Arristillius
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Bingo!

$269 is a good price considering the guy is running a BUSINESS and not a Charity. The guy has expenses obviously. So next time you go to buy something ask the guy to give a product at cost.
For me the money isn't the issue, the $269 may be a fair price, but I don't consider the Pit-barrel Cooker to be on par with other pits offered around that price point, the air-vent setup that isn't designed to be altered on a per cook basis is only one of my complaints, but I could live with that if it wasn't for the hanging setup.

the hook system at first glance seams like a novel way to solve the limited space available in the smaller barrel, but how do you probe to see if a brisket is done without burning yourself? do you take out the whole brisket, probe and return? a few times I Have over cooked and had a brisket falling apart while coming off the grate, how would that work on hooks?

One method is to use a maverick probe stick it in the meat, stick in the hooks and hang it and then just go off temp or time, but with the meat hanging I can't probe it easily, and I can't see if its done, as I don't go by temp and time, the briskets my friend has cooked with my assistance have been decent but not awesome and it is a pain to take stuff off, wrap it, hang it and return it if you wanted to wrap, and I generally get the best results from a brisket wrapped when the bark is good, with the meat hanging it is hard to even see the bark to judge.

Having now cooked on both I wouldn't wish a PBC on anyone, unless it was a second cooker for an experienced cook, of course this is just my opinion.

If you must have a pre-built cooker because you can't build a UDS, why not put an extra 40 bucks in and get a WSM 18.5 inch, especially if it is your first cooker, and you are new to bbq.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001-S...ef=pd_sbs_lg_1

You would gain a temp gauge, multiple grate levels, and adjustable temp. and a design that is actually friendly to a new cook.
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #62
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arristillius View Post
For me the money isn't the issue, the $269 may be a fair price, but I don't consider the Pit-barrel Cooker to be on par with other pits offered around that price point, the air-vent setup that isn't designed to be altered on a per cook basis is only one of my complaints, but I could live with that if it wasn't for the hanging setup.

the hook system at first glance seams like a novel way to solve the limited space available in the smaller barrel, but how do you probe to see if a brisket is done without burning yourself? do you take out the whole brisket, probe and return? a few times I Have over cooked and had a brisket falling apart while coming off the grate, how would that work on hooks?

One method is to use a maverick probe stick it in the meat, stick in the hooks and hang it and then just go off temp or time, but with the meat hanging I can't probe it easily, and I can't see if its done, as I don't go by temp and time, the briskets my friend has cooked with my assistance have been decent but not awesome and it is a pain to take stuff off, wrap it, hang it and return it if you wanted to wrap, and I generally get the best results from a brisket wrapped when the bark is good, with the meat hanging it is hard to even see the bark to judge.

Having now cooked on both I wouldn't wish a PBC on anyone, unless it was a second cooker for an experienced cook, of course this is just my opinion.

If you must have a pre-built cooker because you can't build a UDS, why not put an extra 40 bucks in and get a WSM 18.5 inch, especially if it is your first cooker, and you are new to bbq.

You would gain a temp gauge, multiple grate levels, and adjustable temp. and a design that is actually friendly to a new cook.
Valid points but i would also add that it should be made to tightly cut off air so you can preserver charcoal and that it isn't designed for very long cooks.

It's also a cooker and not a true smoker. If someone doesn't want to make their own mini UDS and just wants to buy one then go for it...just be aware of it's limitations.

Sure you can rig ways to shut off the air but you shouldn't have to.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #63
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:

It's aimed for a set it and forget it ONLY IF you want it to. I myself play with the air intake to adjust according to my cooks. So you def can mess with it and control or change your temps. I know it's not as big as a 30 gal drum but it's plenty even for large parties I've hosted.

BTW I ran it for close to 8 hours on one load. Long enough?? I think so. Limitations? hahaa

Where there is a will there is a way. I use a themapen with gloves to get temps or connect my Maverick or something.

I modded mine with a Thermometer

Here are some of the cooks that I did for example

Still plenty of space left

Hot smoked cured sausage and ham at 180*

I improvised but still

Hot smoked cured ham and bacon at 200*

Turkey and brisket at once

Chicken

Spatchcocked turkey

18 lbs Riblets and 6lbs chicken all at once

Pizza

Just in case there is doubt if it cooked

Ground beef kabobs

leg of lamb

You can use the grate if you want as well or get crafty and install another grate like a UDS. Just sayin

yada yada yada.... You get the pic

Forgot the briskie ane chix pics
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)

Last edited by ssv3; 01-02-2014 at 05:53 PM..
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #64
gtr

^^^Fantastic!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #65
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Noah is a great guy and runs a honest company. The product works exactly as advertised and comes shipped to your door for a fair price. I just don't get all of the animosity. If you don't like them, great! Don't buy one. Spreading misinformation because it just doesn't fit your style serves no purpose.

I have cooked entire competitions on the PBC and managed to take out many Jambos in the process. Along with the WSM, it is the most capable cooker in that price range, and in the right hands it is as capable as any cooker in any price range.

Last edited by gettinbasted; 01-02-2014 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Typo
gettinbasted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM   #66
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:

I just when it when these guys come in and start the whole process again, thereby selling more PBCs in the process. This guy speaks about the PBCS the same way other novices do. They either tried one and can't cook worth a chit onit because their talent is limited, or they are armchair theorists who dream of how it MIGHT work and what might go wrong. The guy delineating the difference between a pit and a cooker is about as silly too. Look as many know I hated this thing when it came out and theorized just like the other morons that it was or was not like the UDS.. Which is a silly argument too. And I used to make it.

Now everyone if you see my films can see I was impressed with what it could do. Any limitations it had I OVERCAME BECAUSE I AM A PIT... MASTER!!!!

it's is what we do... We cook meat. It's about the meat. The equipment matters not.

I can tell you one thing my UDS couldn't do... One.. Unless I mod it to BE a PBC, IT CANNOT cook the three racks of ribs, six chickens and 14 tenderloins and six links sausage I did for a little supper at my moms house. I staggered those puppies over a mere 5 hours and was relaxed, visited, didn't worry about nothin as it cooked. AND MY UDS WON'T FIT IN A CAR TRUNK.

Look I don't care if people buy the PBC... I just want more people like this guy to chime in.. Get everyone pissy... Then pounce on everyone's pig pile so more get sold.

The PBC IS ALSO I curse. One can see in my video UNDERTAKER I am making that message when I flood the PBC WITH 3000 gallons of water.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #67
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Those skewer hooks are pretty neat.

Did you buy or make those also is there something at the end to keep the meat/potatoes from sliding off?

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #68
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I just when it when these guys come in and start the whole process again, thereby selling more PBCs in the process. This guy speaks about the PBCS the same way other novices do. They either tried one and can't cook worth a chit onit because their talent is limited, or they are armchair theorists who dream of how it MIGHT work and what might go wrong. The guy delineating the difference between a pit and a cooker is about as silly too. Look as many know I hated this thing when it came out and theorized just like the other morons that it was or was not like the UDS.. Which is a silly argument too. And I used to make it.

Now everyone if you see my films can see I was impressed with what it could do. Any limitations it had I OVERCAME BECAUSE I AM A PIT... MASTER!!!!

it's is what we do... We cook meat. It's about the meat. The equipment matters not.

I can tell you one thing my UDS couldn't do... One.. Unless I mod it to BE a PBC, IT CANNOT cook the three racks of ribs, six chickens and 14 tenderloins and six links sausage I did for a little supper at my moms house. I staggered those puppies over a mere 5 hours and was relaxed, visited, didn't worry about nothin as it cooked. AND MY UDS WON'T FIT IN A CAR TRUNK.

Look I don't care if people buy the PBC... I just want more people like this guy to chime in.. Get everyone pissy... Then pounce on everyone's pig pile so more get sold.

The PBC IS ALSO I curse. One can see in my video UNDERTAKER I am making that message when I flood the PBC WITH 3000 gallons of water.
I suppose some of us will never get it. All i know is it's a 30 gallon UDS and you can make one to hang meat if you wish....all for a fraction of the price and the one you make can have so much more.. I.e temp control and grill and sear

Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM   #69
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
It's also a cooker and not a true smoker
Just wondering, what makes something a "true" smoker? I actually would like to know
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #70
Arristillius
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

That was sort of the point I was making, it is a fine extra pit or second pit, but a horrible beginner choice in my opinion, I was able to help my buddy turn out a decent brisket and he has had success with chicken, but as an absolute beginner I think the PBC was a bad choice, and it is sold as an amazing game changer, and having used it I just don't see it as such, sure you could play tetris and pack stuff in but don't try and tell me you can't do that on a uds, I have some meat hooks and they work fine to hang things from under a standard grate, might make the grate heavy but that is what good leather gloves are for.

Of course I am no expert pit master, that should be obvious, but I can turn out good results on my drum and kettle, and I have hung sausage and chicken from below the grate while a brisket cooked above, I don't believe you couldn't pack more in a uds if you applied the same creativity you applied to the PBC loading.

Thing is there is nothing special about the "PBC" it is simply a 30 gallon drum with a couple extra holes for rebar to fit in.

I agree with your comment about calling it a cooker / smoker, if this is a cooker my drum is a cooker, because again the only difference is the rebar / hole for rebar.
Arristillius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #71
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Does somebody just bump this PI $$ ING Contest every once and awhile and for what reason? I never see a thread on ANY other cooker were folks condemn it. So what goes here? One very good member left over this BS and now his talents are gone from the Brethren. He talked about this cooker and got raped. And raped by some of today's followers. End of Rant
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #72
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
Just wondering, what makes something a "true" smoker? I actually would like to know
A smoker will allow you to do a long low and slow smoke...and of course produces smoke with chips/chunks or splits .

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #73
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Those skewer hooks are pretty neat.

Did you buy or make those also is there something at the end to keep the meat/potatoes from sliding off?
I actually had the skewers for long time. It was sitting around until I got the PBC and they fit perferct. They're readily available here for cheap like $2 a piece.

Nothing at the end of the taters. The hold good until pull time. I don't have one that has fallen yet. Not sweet potatoes though. They turn mushy quick and fall.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #74
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Oh I see. Here is the answer.

He admits he has no experience... Like I did when I was spouting my bull**** before I got one, and when he had access to one... Lol... He could not get it to work right.

Oh yeah... And his friends don't listen to him either.

Now about me as a monk.. He has that right. My membership here under this name and barbefunkoramaque had been one long fark job... One loooooong troll set up. You have all been part of the ruse. I was planing this even before Noah thought of this.

Now... I think all his defense of the product is worth a five pound bag of Noah's rub. How's that for spam?

Quote:
Because money donated and signatures mean everything? How much one spends posting here as in post counts doesn't translate to real world anything FYI

My experience with the pbc comes from being in the Portland area where craigslist is spammed regularly so that I can't look for uds parts without stumbling on the ad.

I am about to start on uds number five because my neighbors or friends experience the food I Cook on it and want one. So I sell mine for cost of parts and build another.

Going the cheapest easiest fool proof uds is 178 for the bps kit and 20-30 for a barrel. With a weed burner and a $10 can of BBQ paint you have a uds in 2-4 hours.

One of my friends didn't ask much about the smoker I was using aside from asking how I seasoned and cooked the brisket.. He went on craigslist and bought a pbc.

I spent two weekends helping him learn on it being as he is completely new to slower cooking he didn't like the air intake setup that assumed everything is cooked at the same temp. And I don't blame him for that. I still can't decide if low and slow or hot and fast is the best so I do both... I Cook chicken hot and brisket not so hot, running a maverick in the pbc with a probe hanging on a hook he got temps between 275-350 depending on the day and the wind maybe, of course he is convinced by his family that low and slow is gold. So every Cook involves adjusting the pit and as a result it sits unused, sure he could ignore pit temp and guess but I personally think ignoring variables leads to unpredictable results.

now I preface every discussion about BBQ and how I Cook it by warning against the pbc before they find it on their own.

Edict.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #75
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Does somebody just bump this PI $$ ING Contest every once and awhile and for what reason? I never see a thread on ANY other cooker were folks condemn it. So what goes here? One very good member left over this BS and now his talents are gone from the Brethren. He talked about this cooker and got raped. And raped by some of today's followers. End of Rant
I can only assume who your talking about but I have it from the highest authority that the person also frustrated a distributor to the extent they pulled out of selling the PBC for a while.

As long as people keep chiming in with the same arguments that I have never seen applied to any other smoker... That the PBC CAN BE BUILT at a fraction of the cost of a 85, 55, 35 gallon UDS is simply committing a strawman fallacy. That is not the point.... The point has always been... If u don't want to buy all the stuff, burn the drum out, repaint it, cut holes and buy hole saws and drills, brass couplings, black pipe, racks and ****.... Buy the PBC AND GET ON WITH BBQ LIFE. And just because I wrote THE article in Smoke Signals saying its a PERFECT entry level smoker for the novice who is not as OCD as we are about BBQ... MAY or may not make me a troll. Lol....

Where's my rub mr. Noah

Edict.

Tags
pbc pit barrel cooker