• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Which Wood....???

Boudreaux

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I realize the need for good, clean wood to smoke.

But, as I was walking out of a store this morning I noticed a very large display of wood near the door. The price was such that cutting this product into chunks would be very efficient.

I think the package said "Dura -? (something) Seasoned natural hardwood logs". SO, I sit here thinking:

Would that be suitable smoking wood..?? OR, is it possible there are chemicals in that product.

I don't have a chimney, so I have used this product, and have no idea if it's clean wood....

:noidea: :pop2:

Whip you your trusty Pocket knife and peel off a little drag the bic out of your pocket and lite it up if it smells good it will taste good.

Duraflame logs?

I looked at their site. It sounds like these are sawdust glued together with ... something. I tried to find an MSDS and it cannot be downloaded from their site. (Material Safety Data Sheet.) I didn;t think they could get away with that, but I suppose there is no requirement to make the MSDS available on the Internet.

Without knowing what is in the log there is no way I would use it for smoking. No way.

Looked again and found:

Is it okay to cook over the fire of a duraflame fire log?

No. Duraflame fire logs are not designed nor intended for use as a cooking fuel. Generally, the types of solid fuel used for cooking produce coals, which emanate heat over a period of time, and cooking is conducted by exposing the food directly to the heat generated by the coals. Our regular fire logs only burn with flames and do not generate adequate coals for cooking. For roasting food over a cozy fire, try duraflame Campfire Roasting Logs instead.

So if you saw Campfire Roasting Logs you can probably use those.

Hi Hank.... I'm familiar with the artifical Dura Flame logs, but this product was real logs. About five or six split logs to the bag. Looks like, instead of cutting length wise by blade, these items were split (often), and blade cut only on the ends....

It's very possible the product was a campfire log.... Won't be sure till I go back... thanks all...

If its hardwood you can smoke with it. However, there are LOTS of types of hardwood trees so the bag could be a hodge podge of types. If it is GOOD hardwood firewood, it might be oak or hickory. Just my $.02

As mentioned, if they are real hardwood and not treated with anything they would probably be OK, but I would think that would be expensive. Have you looked at your local hardware store, Home Depot, Walmart, etc? Usually they have bags of chunks.

Also, you can get good quality chunks from Fruita Wood Chunks online with free shipping.

I use a supplier called Southern Fuelwoods in Newberry, Fl (nice website) where I buy kiln dried hickory by the pallet but they bag and ship a variety of products and species to grocery and hardware stores all over the place. I'm sure there are other suppliers like them that provide product to retail markets. I think Bludawg's got the real answer: if its real hardwood try a little and see how it smells & burns.

Most packages of splits sold in the stores are mostly oak to my knowledge which would be good for heat rather than flavor. They are sold for fireplaces. You might get lucky and find an aromatic hardwood such as pecan, hickory etc. etc. Only way to know is to identify the wood.

Back