Using molasses?

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had a bbq sauce recipe given to me the other day and it list molasses as one of the ingredient. It does not say if it should be sulfured or un-sulfured, anyone know if it will make any difference. This recipe was handed down to the person that gave it to me but he has never made it and was not told which to use.
Dave

Hard to say if it's not one's own recipe.

Simple rule:

When in doubt, go to the basics.

I use Whole Foods Organic Dark molasses in my sauces. They're pure product, with none of the fillers that thin out the super market types. I'd wager if you use that, or similiar, if you cannot get Whole Foods (somebody's gotta be makin organic besides WF) you'll buy no other.

Sulphured, or "black strap" molasses has a slightly bitter "tang" to it that I don't particularly like in my sauce. But that's just me personally. It is definitely a flavor preference. I'd try it both ways and see which you like best.

I use Brer Rabbit Full Flavor Molasses in mine.

This is what I am going to use because I bought some yesterday and did not notice the thing about sulfur. We have about 8 inches of snow on the ground and are expecting up to 20/24 by tomorrow but I am seriously thinking of smoking some ribs and chicken today. :crazy:
Dave

I use the traditional sulfured blackstrap. Since it is always mixed with other sugars, the bite isn't a problem and it's the signature of molasses. If you aren't looking for that, sorghum or a dark cane syrup like Alaga is a good substitute as previously mentioned.

In my thick and sticky sauce (Ray Lampe's recipe), I use 3/4 Grandma's (unsulphured), and 1/4 blackstrap. I recently tried a recipe with nothing but blackstrap and won't do that again, but I do think that a little adds something. It's just strong stuff, so I wouldn't ever add much.

Grandma's and Brer Rabbit are made by the same company. Grandma's is the sweeter of the two and Brer Rabbit has a slightly bitter taste and requires more syrup to get a similar sweetness level even though there is still the bitter undertone.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of tasting Steen's cane syrup it is a *slightly* lighter version of unsulphered molasses. They also make a genuine molasses and all are made from sugar cane.

Back