MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I couldn't wait.....

So I am starting my first brisket. I trimmed my 15lb brisket this afternoon. I cut a chunk of fat between the flat and the point. I watched a video that says that all the fat between the two doesn't render well so I removed a chunk of it. I still have a bunch of fat. I have my charcoal chimney starting and I am getting my WSM ready for te king night!!!

14lb packer coming up!!! Wish me luck

Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Off to a good start.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

1st overnight cook?

I will probably try mine soon after my custom smoker is finished and I figure out its temp control.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Ive done quite a few briskets. When the brisket is probe tender and rested. Take the back side of a thin knife and seperate the point from the flat. Then you can flip the point and the fat will come right off while still warm. Same for the flat.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
BevoBurn96
Full Fledged Farker

good luck!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller :cool:
BevoBurn96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

well that wasn't fun. The chimney wanted to be a hassle tonight. But finally got it going then my WSM didnt want to go past 190. I opened the door and it shot up to 350 so I dialled it back and it started to drop. Then it dropped too much!!!!! ahhhhhhhh

So I finally had temp stable at 253 but I am full vents open, all 3 bottom and the top is wide open. It has staid at this temp for the past 20 min or so but I am nervous that it will spike. I have never had to run the vents fully open since I have been using it.

Anyways, meat is on so we will see what happens. Meat is at 79F and grate temp is right on 250 as per my maverick. I have the bells and whistles set to scare me if it drops or rises more than 5F.

OH BOY!!!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

How fast does the internal temp go up on the brisket before the stall??? The reason I ask is that I am already at 100F from 79F in less than a half hour. Is it normal to get the quick rise in temp??

Old 09-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

The temps raise pretty quickly until it hits the stall and it will stall for hours at 250 degrees.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

2 hours in grate temp 244 lid temp is 225. Seems like a big difference to me?? It is really cold tonight 8C that may have something to do with the difference.

Meat is 165 already. That seems like it's high to me already. Temp on meat is steadily rising not as fast since it hit 160 but still going up. At this rate is was planning on taking off at 2pm around 14 hours. But will I need to take off sooner???

What is the best temp to go by for finish temp with addition to probe test and feel of course. Just looking for a guideline.

Wow this is worse than tending to a sick child at night lol.

Too dark to take pics right now but I will in the am. Lid ain't coming off cuz if you lookin it ain't cookin

Old 09-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
aawa
Babbling Farker

At 250 degrees you are going to be looking at about 1.5hrs/lb.

I start probing for tenderness after 190 degrees. If it isn't probe tender at 190 I check every 20-30mins after that.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

I hit the stall lol. Wooooo

2.5 hours in internal meat temp holding at 163F.

Lets talk spritzing. Should I do it and when.

Thanks for the late night support

Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

I personally don't bother with spritzing. When you rest it in foil the bark will soften up some. Spritzing also will extend your cook time as it will make your temps slightly drop.

Now if you do want to spritz you want to make sure it is when your bark has set. If you spritz and your bark isn't set, your rub will run off your brisket. If you do a spritz think of what goes well with beef. I have heard that a 50/50 mix of worchestshire and water is a good spritz for beef.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #13
bosco0633
is one Smokin' Farker

Update

Outside temp is down to 5C/41F. Gross so it's getting chilli. My grate temp dropped from a rock solid 253 to 228 this past hour that I was sound asleep.

We are approaching the 5 hour mark and I still haven't looked but opened the door to add a little lump to get the heat going again. We are now slowly climbing back up in temp.

My meat temp has lowered to 158 she doesn't want to budge. I was stuck at 163 and now she ain't taking any heat at all. Been like this for 3 hours. Generally how long will this stall last???

Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #14
aawa
Babbling Farker

The stall will last hours. If you want to power through the stall kick the heat up on the cooker.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

just relax man

keep the pit temp right

the rest will take care of itself
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote