• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

butts for church and watch live smoke webpage.....

Theboz1419

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
http://uds.servebeer.com live smoke

Tomorrow, at my church they are having a cookout and they asked if I could smoke something. Well pork butts it is.

The above link is my heatermeter controller. I had some minor problems at the beginning, all looks ok now. Also im using some new maverick et-732 probes for the butts, not sure I like the probes, not as good as my et-72/73 probes(pit temp and the ambient temp). They did read 211 in boiling water though.

14 pounds, not much but someone else is also doing some pulled pork also
1382119_10202261140874987_329900055_n.jpg

All rubbed up
1394057_10202261250917738_1483571633_n.jpg

Last edited:
that gadget is wicked!! id love a controller like that, cant wait for updates

Easy to make. I have it setup to send Emails or SMS on alarms. The Fluctuations in set point are me screwing around on the dam thing lol.

Heatermeter Forums

It's not wasting my afternoon, but I can't help but to keep checkin on it for ya.
Looks like it's doing real fine.

So, I am down in New Zealand and I know your lid is closed and the blower is running at 18%... maybe these conspiracy theorists are onto something after all!

That's awesome, thanks for the live link. I actually just stumbled onto the Heatmeter software and forum post a few weeks ago and started ordering parts to build one this week.

How difficult was it for you to build and get running? It seems pretty straight forward from all the posts I've read.

The above link is my heatermeter controller.

I made one of those awesome ATC (automatic temperature controller) I love it. It is so versatile. Plus it has web capabilities and at about $120 price tag with a big blower it is at a fraction of the cost of some of its competitors.

That's awesome, thanks for the live link. I actually just stumbled onto the Heatmeter software and forum post a few weeks ago and started ordering parts to build one this week.

How difficult was it for you to build and get running? It seems pretty straight forward from all the posts I've read.

Well I have had the heatermeter since version 1 and it was much much harder then it is now. Before there was no circuit boards and Raspberry PI, we used Linksys router and wires to connect on the components. The programming was just as bad. took me 6+ months to get one working lol.

But, now the heatermeter can be made by anybody fairly easy, The soldering is the hardest part. The circuit boards have a guide to tell you what goes where on it, and they are numbered, for instance R1 would be resister 1 and if you look at the list of components R1 would be a 1k resister(3 of them) C2 would be a .1u capacitor.

As long as you keep the resisters , caps ect.... in their bags that tell you what they are, you really don't even need to know what they are, if that makes sense. Pictures of the assembly

The programming is as easy as downloading the needed software on your computer as long as you have a SD card slot available, all you have to do install it to the SD card and that it.

Put the Sd card into the RasPI and done, you have yourself a Heatermeter. Byran is constantly updating the software.

And for those that have kids and if they would like to build something, this would be an awesome project for them to learn on.

Well I have had the heatermeter since version 1 and it was much much harder then it is now. Before there was no circuit boards and Raspberry PI, we used Linksys router and wires to connect on the components. The programming was just as bad. took me 6+ months to get one working lol.

But, now the heatermeter can be made by anybody fairly easy, The soldering is the hardest part. The circuit boards have a guide to tell you what goes where on it, and they are numbered, for instance R1 would be resister 1 and if you look at the list of components R1 would be a 1k resister(3 of them) C2 would be a .1u capacitor.

As long as you keep the resisters , caps ect.... in their bags that tell you what they are, you really don't even need to know what they are, if that makes sense. Pictures of the assembly

The programming is as easy as downloading the needed software on your computer as long as you have a SD card slot available, all you have to do install it to the SD card and that it.

Put the Sd card into the RasPI and done, you have yourself a Heatermeter. Byran is constantly updating the software.

And for those that have kids and if they would like to build something, this would be an awesome project for them to learn on.

Thanks for the reply, you helped convince me that this will definitely be something I can take on myself. It's been quite a while since I've done any serious soldering, but I think I can get the hang of again.

What are you using as a case if any? I've seen several people using the 3D printed models, just curious if there's anything else out there.

Just took them off the smoker, wrapping them in and putting them in a cooler for a few hours, 1130am lunch at the church. I made some fat johnny's bastardized piedmont sauce and a sweet mustard sauce, along with some homemade slaw, mmmmmmm can't wait

Nice Bark

1383286_10202269827972159_162822557_n.jpg

1374951_10202269842052511_1848535345_n.jpg

Thanks for the reply, you helped convince me that this will definitely be something I can take on myself. It's been quite a while since I've done any serious soldering, but I think I can get the hang of again.

What are you using as a case if any? I've seen several people using the 3D printed models, just curious if there's anything else out there.

Case?ummmm lol a ziplock bag. it works and it keeps the rain out. It rained all day yesterday, it did not have any problems

Yeah the soldering is not really that hard, just use lots of resin flux

This what I used on my first Heatermeter, granted that had both a heatermeter and a Linksys router in it. I am thinking about trying the 3d printed cases, but the ziplock bag works just fine.

523585_4539807778308_1067691376_n.jpg

This what I used on my first Heatermeter, granted that had both a heatermeter and a Linksys router in it. I am thinking about trying the 3d printed cases, but the ziplock bag works just fine.

523585_4539807778308_1067691376_n.jpg

That's quite the case on the the first case! I'll probably start out with a ziploc or rubbermaid container, but I'd like to get a more permanent case for use at comps and tail gates.

Back