MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
BluegrassSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Question 30 GAL UDS questions

Ok, I found a 30 gal drum, man they scarce...but I located one, unlined with a mind rust inhebiter, ( hoping that just a spay I can remove easy). Only one I can find resonable is a closed head....is my only option a kettle lid? Have you guys found another option? I know that the 18" webber will work, just wondering if there's another ( cheaper) way to make a lid...

I have a friend that has welder, plasma cutter etc....so I'm good there..

I have a 55 gal UDS but I don't smoke a lot at one time, just the wife and I at home....and I have a MB electric smoker ( my first smoker) for larger smokes, so I'm thinking a 30 gal UDS will be just fine for me.....

Just thinking out loud and ya'll always guide me in the right direction....

What's your thoughts
BluegrassSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
bstuk
Got Wood.

I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't really seen anyone using a flat lid on a 30 gallon uds. Also what height would the grate have to be then and would the use of a diffuser be recommend if you only had about 20 inches from the charcoal grate to the grill grate?
bstuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Have a piece of 2 inch flat steel rolled to the inside diameter of the drum, then tack weld or bolt it to a piece of sheet metal, like 10 or 12 gauge.

And the basket would be smaller than the 55, so distance wouldn't really mater.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
BluegrassSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
Have a piece of 2 inch flat steel rolled to the inside diameter of the drum, then tack weld or bolt it to a piece of sheet metal, like 10 or 12 gauge.

And the basket would be smaller than the 55, so distance wouldn't really mater.
I don't understand....as a lid?
BluegrassSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Daggs
is one Smokin' Farker

If you cut the drum 1/2" below the lid all the way around you could have a thin piece welded all the way around on the inside. That way the part you cut off will fit over the piece welded on the inside. May be a tight fit but a grinder and some elbow grease should fix that.
I was lucky enough to get a new open head 30 gal for $11 haven't even came close to starting it yet.
Good luck keep us posted.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassSmoke View Post
I don't understand....as a lid?
Yes, as a lid. So the rolled flat steel sits inside the drum, but the sheet stay outside on top, your drippings stay inside the drum, and it would create a decent seal with some high heat silicone.

edit like this

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Good point about the drippings staying inside the drum, with a strip rolled to the inside of the drum, but I wonder if rain water could get inside it? Wouldn't rolling the strip to fit the outside be better? Just asking, since I don't know the answer. I think WSM's have the problem of rainwater getting in since the lid fits inside the lip of the middle section.

I made a midi UDS some time and love it. It is a great size for 2 folks, but can handle a fair amount if you need to cook for more people. I did 2 8# pork butts for a party once, but have not pushed it to its limits to see how much food it can cook.

Some pics of my midi UDS build and unveiling.

I think I ended up with racks at 3", 8", and 15" from the top of the drum. In retrospect, I wouldn't worry about beer-can chix so much, because i think they are too much of a hassle now - would just spatchcock. I also would not add risers to all of the intakes, just one. And I would probably go with bigger intakes as well.

Have fun with your build. You're going to end up with a great cooker!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it was me I would cut a 1/8 or 1/4 lid with the plasma or you could just put a piece of square flat on top of it, might not look as good ,but would work
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

shoot, even plywood would work as a flat lid, seen it used. but i think a domed lid would be better. i would just cut the top part out next to the seam.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

You would just leave an overhang on it, Cali.