SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

Official TD Entry Jerk Chicken

After initial contact the Noobian fleet continues to stock the wounded yet apparently unresponsive SS Farkanaut.

Fire Control: "Captain, Jerk Chicken is loaded and ready to fire."
Captain:"Fire when ready. The fire from this round should get their attention."
The marinade for the jerk chicken consisted of green onion, garlic, ginger, white vinegar, serranos, habanero from my garden, walla walla sweet onion, lime juice, allspice, cinnamon, black pepper & cumin.
Marinade Ingredients.jpg

The spices were toasted and ground and then thrown into the food processor with the rest of the ingredients. I then broke down the whole chicken and hit it with my needler to help speed up the marinade process.
Broken Down.jpg

After about a 6-hour soak I pulled the chicken out.
Marinated.jpg

Then threw it onto the Traeger at 425* for about 45-minutes. It came out juicy and delicious.
Cooked.jpg
Voting Pic Below
Cooked Breast.jpg

I served it up with some cilantro, roasted poblano & lime rice and a refreshing black bean & peach salsa.
Voting Pic.jpg

Fire Control: "Captain we've scored another direct hit to the SS Farkanaut!"
Radar Officer: "Sir, we've made visual contact with the Farkanaut. Fires can be seen burning on the aft deck. She's continuing to maintain current speed and course."
Captain: "Prepare the next volley, let's send her to the bottom!"

Attachments

• IMG_6751.jpg
    IMG_6751.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Official TD Entry St. Louis Ribs

In the Southern Seas a one sided battle plays out under a moonless sky. The Noobian Armada has the SS Farkanaut in its sights and is sending a withering barrage at the enemy vessel. Though the fires burning topside on the Farkanaut rage, no signs of life can be seen aboard the distressed warship.

Captain: "Continue firing at will! We'll sink those whack-a-doodles yet!"
Fire Control:"Ribs are locked and loaded sir!"
Captain' "Fire!"
Went down to Costco on Saturday and picked up a cryo-vac of St. Louis style ribs.
Wrapped.jpg

I love the Costco ribs because they need almost no trimming out of the package. I prepped 2 slabs and wrapped, vacced and froze the 3rd rack for later.
Trimmed.jpg

Rubbed them down with some leftover comp rub which I found in the cupoard. It's light on sugar and heavy on about 4 different varieties of ground chiles.
Rubbed.jpg

While we were at the farmers market I picked up some local cabbage, carrots and radishes and made up a tangy slaw.
Slaw Ingredients.jpg
Slaw.jpg

Also picked up some micro yukon gold potatoes and made a light potato salad using a vinaigrette of EVOO some aged balsamic from a specialty shop that a friend picked up for me in Portland, garlic, schalot & Italian parsley.
Potato Salad.jpg

After about 3.5 hours on the Traeger running between 275-325 I pulled the ribs. No foil this time. Instead tried the pig honey method.
Resting.jpg
Slide Ribs.jpg

Plated it all up (voting pic)
Judging Photo.jpg

Was it good? I think this says it all.
Demolished.jpg

Fire Control: "Sir, we've scored another direct hit and the Farkanaut is now listing heavily to its port side."
Radar Officer: "Sir, the Farakanaut is still continuing on its current course?"
Captain:"What are those whack-a-doodles doing? Torpedo control, please prepare a firing solution and ready the Red Menace! We're going to finish them off!"

Hey, any of you veterans know how to steer this thing? It looks like the noobs are taking this seriously and didn't just load up onto a party boat like we did.:doh:

They have not figured out that we are a nuclear powered Attack Sub yet. Back to Radio Silence......Shhhhhhh. :tape: :cool:

......from the farthest waters of the wine dark sea, Captain Q, his first mate Mr. Smee and boatswain Quohog receive word from CINC Overland Fark of the impending battle against the Noobian uprising.

Captain Q: Mr. Smee bring her around and make all sail for the following coordinates.

Mr. Smee: Aye Captain! Our orders sir.

Captain Q: We are to rendezvous with Farkanaut with all dispatch; We are to join her crew under Admiral Bigabyte, engage the Noobians and put down their rebellion for Q and country.

Captain Q: Now, Quohog, assemble the children for shameless pictures and engage the MOAB (Mother of all BBQs).

Mr. Smee: Straight wakes Captain, the wind favors us and the Noobians are finished.

Captain Q: Aye Smee, now where are my strawberries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Official TD Entry The Red Menace

As a blood red dawn begins to rise in the Southern Seas the Noobian Armada continues to engage a severely damaged SS Farkanaut.

Radar Officer: "Sir, we have still seen no signs of life aboard the SS Farkanaut."
Captain:"Very well, flood the Fore torpedo tubes and prepare to launch the Red Menace."
Torpedo Room: "Captain, tubes one and two are flooded and we have a firing solution."
Captain: "Launch both tubes."

I was in the mood for a little asian fusion this week so I put together a Char Siu Bahn Mi. A little tribute to China & Vietnam.

Marinated some sliced pork shoulder using a hybrid of recipes I got from Landarc and Aussie Bill and marinated it over night.
Marinated.jpg

The night before I sliced some carrot, daikon radish and some jalapeno into matchsticks and pickled them in salt, sugar & white vinegar.
Picles.jpg

Pork went onto the grill
Onto the Grill.jpg

And while it was cooking I whipped together some Sirachi, Lime Mayo
Mayo.jpg

and picked a fresh cuke from my garden which I did a quick pickle on using salt, sugar, rice wine vinegar, white vinegar & Xiao Xing (sp?) Wine.
Sliced Cuke.jpg

About 45 minutes later the pork came off
Cooked.jpg

And it was sandwich building time. First a layer of mayo followed by the radish, jalapeno & carrot pickles, the quick cuke pickle and some cilantro.
First Layer.jpg
2nd layer.jpg

Then I sliced the pork
Sliced Pork.jpg

And layered on a healthy amount to finish off the Red Menace
voting pic
Voting Pic.jpg

Radar Officer:"Sir, the Red Menace has impacted the Farkanaut below the water line on her Starboard side and she's beginning to go under."
Communications Officer: "Sir, we've been able to pic up a signal which appears to be playing on continuous loop aboard the SS Farkanaut, though we've been unable to decipher it's contents, it does appear to be a video of some sort."

Captain:"Very well, it appears that the Farkanaut is done for. Turn to a bearing of 275* and full steam ahead."

As the Noobian Armada leaves the site of the battle the Captain reflects to himself: "Those poor Bastidges, they didn't even put up a fight. What could they have been up to?"

Meanwhile aboard the Farkanaut the video which was intercepted continues to play, keeping the crew mesmerized.
it5IUMh5AqXx.gif

Hey, any of you veterans know how to steer this thing? It looks like the noobs are taking this seriously and didn't just load up onto a party boat like we did.:doh:

Quality over quantity has always been my mantra.

We farkenauts don't panic in the heat of battle. We measure our response. Besides, there is still plenty of time time for us to unleash an ecode entry.

CD

@Ms2sb, great frontal assault! Coming into the weekend, this is sure to stir up some counter offensives. Let's stay vigil and keep lobbing rounds downrange! Viva la noobian resistance!!!

Time for an underwater response to the sinking of our decoy. If for no other reason than I want to go back to drinking and watching this over and over.

it5IUMh5AqXx.gif

First we will prepare the underwater mines and a foil garlic toast torpedo.

IMG_0427.jpg

A close-up of the mines reveal them to be studded with explosive peppers, onions, and cilantro. And held together with the dreaded oatmeal. And dusted with the deadly Simply Marvelous Season All.

IMG_0430.jpg

Once paired with a sauce made from Big Butz No Butz, SBR, a can of chopped tomaters, and a heaping helping of sautéed onion and garlic, it all topped a healthy portion of spaghetti noodles and was sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

IMG_0037.jpg

Oh, and it was launched with an additional torpedo, that can be seen in the background of that picture. That last picture might as well be used as an "official" entry.

Now, back to the floor show. Between the decoys, torpedos, and mines, that ought to keep the Noobians distracted for awhile...

As a blood red dawn begins to rise in the Southern Seas the Noobian Armada continues to engage a severely damaged SS Farkanaut.

Radar Officer: "Sir, we have still seen no signs of life aboard the SS Farkanaut."
Captain:"Very well, flood the Fore torpedo tubes and prepare to launch the Red Menace."
Torpedo Room: "Captain, tubes one and two are flooded and we have a firing solution."
Captain: "Launch both tubes."
I was in the mood for a little asian fusion this week so I put together a Char Siu Bahn Mi. A little tribute to China & Vietnam.

Marinated some sliced pork shoulder using a hybrid of recipes I got from Landarc and Aussie Bill and marinated it over night.
View attachment 69241

The night before I sliced some carrot, daikon radish and some jalapeno into matchsticks and pickled them in salt, sugar & white vinegar.
View attachment 69242

Pork went onto the grill
View attachment 69243

And while it was cooking I whipped together some Sirachi, Lime Mayo
View attachment 69244

and picked a fresh cuke from my garden which I did a quick pickle on using salt, sugar, rice wine vinegar, white vinegar & Xiao Xing (sp?) Wine.
View attachment 69245

About 45 minutes later the pork came off
View attachment 69246

And it was sandwich building time. First a layer of mayo followed by the radish, jalapeno & carrot pickles, the quick cuke pickle and some cilantro.
View attachment 69250
View attachment 69247

Then I sliced the pork
View attachment 69248

And layered on a healthy amount to finish off the Red Menace
voting pic
View attachment 69249

Radar Officer:"Sir, the Red Menace has impacted the Farkanaut below the water line on her Starboard side and she's beginning to go under."
Communications Officer: "Sir, we've been able to pic up a signal which appears to be playing on continuous loop aboard the SS Farkanaut, though we've been unable to decipher it's contents, it does appear to be a video of some sort."

Captain:"Very well, it appears that the Farkanaut is done for. Turn to a bearing of 275* and full steam ahead."

As the Noobian Armada leaves the site of the battle the Captain reflects to himself: "Those poor Bastidges, they didn't even put up a fight. What could they have been up to?"

Meanwhile aboard the Farkanaut the video which was intercepted continues to play, keeping the crew mesmerized.
it5IUMh5AqXx.gif

Nice Noobian entry, now that you are the Warlord of our alliance.

Fantastic entry Zydeco! The noobs are trying to shake that blow off but it had to hurt them BAD!!!

I too am preparing for a direct assault on the noobiean hoards.

The only thing that hurt were my eyes after staring at Michelle for 10 minutes. :becky:

good looking entries for both sides!!

From the Galley

After initial contact the Noobian fleet continues to stock the wounded yet apparently unresponsive SS Farkanaut.

Fire Control: "Captain, Jerk Chicken is loaded and ready to fire."
Captain:"Fire when ready. The fire from this round should get their attention."
The marinade for the jerk chicken consisted of green onion, garlic, ginger, white vinegar, serranos, habanero from my garden, walla walla sweet onion, lime juice, allspice, cinnamon, black pepper & cumin.
View attachment 69213

The spices were toasted and ground and then thrown into the food processor with the rest of the ingredients. I then broke down the whole chicken and hit it with my needler to help speed up the marinade process.
View attachment 69214

After about a 6-hour soak I pulled the chicken out.
View attachment 69215

Then threw it onto the Traeger at 425* for about 45-minutes. It came out juicy and delicious.
View attachment 69217
Voting Pic Below
View attachment 69216

I served it up with some cilantro, roasted poblano & lime rice and a refreshing black bean & peach salsa.
View attachment 69218

Fire Control: "Captain we've scored another direct hit to the SS Farkanaut!"
Radar Officer: "Sir, we've made visual contact with the Farkanaut. Fires can be seen burning on the aft deck. She's continuing to maintain current speed and course."
Captain: "Prepare the next volley, let's send her to the bottom!"

Very Nice my Warlord, Thanks for taking care of the Crew with such Great chow from the galley.

I was gong to go up on the deck to lauch a shot at the noobian fleet, then I saw the temp up there. That fire must be worse than we thought!:behindsofa: I decided to stay below deck and keep watching the movie!

Last edited:
Back