MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default "Qualifiers" for the Royal Invitational and Jack

Can someone 'splain to me how the "qualifiers" work?

I have found bits and peices of info from the Web, but some of it contradicts the other.

Also, anyone know how many "State Championships" a state can have?
The BullSheet lists several for many states. Florida had Plant City last Fall listed as a "State Championship" and now Lakeland is listed as "the State Championship".

So confusing, or just me?

No, I do not expect DF and me to win any of them, at least this year
I am just confused and curious!

Thanks,

TIM

Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

I believe that kcbs is now changing state champ to "qualifier" . Mr Minion can most assuradely go into more detail on this.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

qualifers have to be 25 teams or more but not necessarily be a state championship. State championships are by default qualifers and a state can have many championships.

I think in the case of multiple state championships, the Grand champion with the highest score goes to the Jack... I havent heard of cases where 2 grand champions made it to the jack.

Jim can better confirm this..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #4
parrothead

Quote:
Jim can better confirm this..
That's what I said.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

If you have a proclamation from the govenor and have at least 25 teams or at least 50 teams without a proclamation that makes it a qualifier for the Jack. If there is more than one state championship that meets the requirement or a with cook with 50 team or more then all the winners are put into a draw for that state. As an example Oregon had 3 qualifiers last year, MO had maybe 14, WA had 3. They pick one team from each state during the draw the other winners would not get the invite.

The Royal is set up differently it invites most of the teams that would have won a championship in a state.
There is a new cook, the Greay American Cookout at the Kansas Speedway that you only need 10 teams to make it a qualifier, that number will more than likely go up in the next few years.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Sir Jim,

Does not make sense, but at least it is "the rules" and I can follow "rules"
I just have to clear my mind of the concept that there is only one champion (except in that college BCS thingie) for any title. I can do that!

Quote:
The Royal is set up differently it invites most of the teams that would have won a championship in a state.
This has me a bit befuddled.
How do they determine that a team "would have won a championship?" Is that something different like "State Team of the Year", high total score in the state, or ????

Thanks a million.

TIM

Old 01-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
makes it a qualifier for the Jack. .
Ok guys, I'm trying to figure out the competition thing - that's why the OL and I are going to a few this year, to see how they are run and BS with the contestants. Please inform this relative newbie what the "Jack" is?

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
jeffsasmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #8
chad

The Jack Daniel's Invitational in Lynchburg, TN. :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2005, 04:31 AM   #9
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
The Jack Daniel's Invitational in Lynchburg, TN. :D
I woke up this morning, and it hit me.............Duh! But thanks anyway. Is it a KCBS sanctioned event?

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer

Old 01-19-2005, 06:14 AM   #10
chad

Nope! Jack Daniel's Invitational ONLY! It's a stand alone event - kind of like the Memphis in May - they have their own qualifying events.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #11
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Jack use state championships but they can be KCBS, MIM, and other bodies out there that hold competitions.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #12
chad

Thank you Jim. :D I just meant that the Jack doesn't run their own series and that they are invitational only - no open division.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Ok - but so I can get a handle on all these separate events, what does "invitational" mean? I understand the term, but do you have to win or place in some other event to "qualify" or be invited to compete? I'm truly hoping one day to give it a shot - I'm just curious HOW you get to that point. You've got to start somewhere, right? Correct me if I'm wrong - but the Royal is KCBS's championship compitition, right? I mean, not just anybody can enter can they? And say you're in the top three at the Jack or Memphis - that doesn't count towards anything at another sanctioned event?

Hope I'm not asking too many questions, guys - I just want to understand.

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer

Old 01-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #14
chad

Invitational means just what you think - you've got to be invited - either by winning a qualifying event or being drawn in a pool of "other qualified" teams.

The AR is the KCBS big event. There are actually two events going - the invitational and the Open - the Open is you and about 400 other teams!

Memphis in May is another big event and is very invitational (you gotta win a qualifier or get lucky in the pool drawing), same with the Jack - win a qualifier, etc. and you get into the pool for an invitation. The MiM is very pork centric - no brisket - and has a whole hog division, too.

And then there are state championships, the national cookoff in DC (nice prizes), a couple of "best of" cookoffs with merged rules and invites to the top teams of many of the "associations", etc.

It's easy to get confused. If you are going to start competing it's probably best to pick one organization for your first few sorties. As ticked off at FBA as Tim and I are it has still been a good learning experience and we were able to compete close to home.

KCBS is fine, too, if it's convenient for you. Rules are similar except for garnish in the boxes and turn-in schedule.

Go to a couple of events (like Okeechobee or Wauchula) and ask questions - just don't try and get answers after about 10 a.m. :D As you start getting closer to the turn-in times some teams get anal!! Even Tim gets "testy" as we get close to turn-in!!

Look at the rigs and ask plenty of questions - I would advise not trying to get all the answers from one team! You'll see Lang 84s, occassionally a Klose (I'm talking about FL events), many of Smokey's smokers (look a LOT like Spicewines rigs), WSMs, homemades, etc.

I'm thinking about judging at Okeechobee and Wauchula. If you make it to one of them look the Brethren hat.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:50 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Even Tim gets "testy" as we get close to turn-in!!
YUP --

I call it "focused" but "testy" works

Do your "exploring" outside of the turn-in windows for sure--go have a beer or do something safer

TIM