Looking for input

R

rescue_ranger

I am looking at adding or amending my comp list has anyone entered any of these in the past ? How was the organization of the event, the event itself? Event location, staff, security ext..ext.. ext.. Just looking for the low down on the events. Thanks Brothers and sisters
Mike (RR)
Hillbilly Bones / pit master
:first:

Chesapeake Jubilee BBQ Cook-Off (VA) 5/20/11 – 5/22/11
Safeway National Capital Barbecue Battle (DC) 6/24/11 – 6/26/11
Central Marylands Swinetastic BBQ Festival, Frederick, MD – 6/17/11 – 6/19/11 -
Que & Cruz Summer Festival, Louisa, VA- 7/15/11 – 7/16-17/11 -
The Valley Smokin' BBQ Festival, Front Royal, VA 10/7/11 – 10/9/11 (?) -
Smoketoberfest BBQ Challenge Chambersburg, PA – 10/14/11 – 10/16/11 -

good list

Chesapeake Jubilee BBQ Cook-Off (VA) 5/20/11 – 5/22/11 Have a lot of friends who like this contest very much. Safeway National Capital Barbecue Battle (DC) 6/24/11 – 6/26/11 Expensive but worth it for the chance to camp out on Pennsylvania Ave.Central Marylands Swinetastic BBQ Festival, Frederick, MD – 6/17/11 – 6/19/11 - First year for this contest. I will be entering, its 35 minutes from my job. Que & Cruz Summer Festival, Louisa, VA- 7/15/11 – 7/16-17/11 - Fantastic. Been there several years. One of the best in area.The Valley Smokin' BBQ Festival, Front Royal, VA 10/7/11 – 10/9/11 (?) - Did this one year before last and it was a fine competition, beautiful area.Smoketoberfest BBQ Challenge Chambersburg, PA – 10/14/11 – 10/16/11 - Don't know about this one. Brett

Chesapeake Jubilee BBQ Cook-Off (VA) 5/20/11 – 5/22/11
Good event, well run
EXPENSIVE, They dropped the MiN events this year and split the KCBS catagories over 2 days (2 turn ins per day) load-in is 10pm Friday and you can't leave until Sunday afternoon. They've had some logistical issues with thing like water in the past. On the plus side it's an automatic for the Jack draw. If I had to drop one of these events I'd drop this one and go to the MD BBQ bash in Belair instead.
Central Marylands Swinetastic BBQ Festival, Frederick, MD – 6/17/11 – 6/19/11 -
New event this year, should have a good field and the organizer has some experience
Most BBQ fun on dry land with your clothes on - great event, great facility, well run, lots of stuff to do. The on-site anything but on Friday is a blast - highly recommended.
This event was canceled last year, is it on for sure?
Eric does a great job with this event, now in it's 3rd year. Nice facility. It's in PA and later in the season so bring warm clothes (had snow the first year) and watch out for falling hickory nuts. Only downside to this event is it's the week before the Jack if you get lucky.

This event was canceled last year, is it on for sure?

I emailed the Chamber of Commerance and they said they were good to go So I am assuming but you know about Ass-U-me :heh:

Thanks everyone for the input I made my mind up and will probally drop the DC I hate comming into DC everyday to work anyway
Thanks
Mike (RR)

EXPENSIVE, They dropped the MiN events this year and split the KCBS catagories over 2 days (2 turn ins per day) load-in is 10pm Friday and you can't leave until Sunday afternoon. They've had some logistical issues with thing like water in the past. On the plus side it's an automatic for the Jack draw. If I had to drop one of these events I'd drop this one and go to the MD BBQ bash in Belair instead.

Most BBQ fun on dry land with your clothes on - great event, great facility, well run, lots of stuff to do. The on-site anything but on Friday is a blast - highly recommended.

Eric does a great job with this event, now in it's 3rd year. Nice facility. It's in PA and later in the season so bring warm clothes (had snow the first year) and watch out for falling hickory nuts. Only downside to this event is it's the week before the Jack if you get lucky.

We dropped DC this year, would rather sell rub and drink beer, than go thru that heat 3 years in row.

Bill Small runs a great comp, and the Margarita Fairy has been known to frequent some of the sites there. Sat night party is a BLAST!!!!

Smoketoberfest continues to grow and become a serious comp. Only drawback is the week before the Jack. That hurt a bit last year, took a couple of weeks to recover................

Back