Looking for new smoker

Mrdeville

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello. I am in the market for a new smoker. I want either a offset smoker or a rotisserie smoker. Is there any difference in how your food comes out with the offset compared to a rotisserie smoker? Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

there are so many options, what price range? there are differences, though I am not sure they are difference makers, or even normally detectable

I'd check in with a mod to move this thread over to the catering forum. Most guys in Q-talk aren't as versed in the larger cookers like that. Might have better luck finding a helpful opinion over yonder since you are looking to start catering.

Yeah, I've been looking at these cookers a lot lately, teasing myself because I don't have the money. If I were spending the dough on an offset or reverse flow, it would probably be a Pitmaker sniper, Lang, Gator, Jambo, Peoria Cookers, Yoder, or Bubba grill.

Were it a cabinet/vertical type smoker, it would be a Pitmaker, Stump's, superior, Assassin, Backyard Bomber, or backwoods.

I'd take a look at them- pretty sure they all do custom work. And check out the peoria cookers meat monster.

Are you looking to do a whole pig on a rotisserie, or just a chunk of meat now and again?

If you're not in the food business and are not looking for a whole hog cooker, check out the cajun bandit for the 22 inch weber kettle or weber smokey mountain, or the kamado bigjoe rotisserie.

I'm pretty sure Spitjack is near you and they make whole hog rotisseries for putting over an open fire. There are also some other brands, and you wouldn't have to spend 6000, plus I've seen them at parties and they're a hit.

The cadillac smokers don't look bad, but I have heard zero about them on this forum, so I wouldn't wanna drop 6 big ones on a company that I'd never heard anyone on this bbq forum mention once (maybe i just have a bad memory though).

Also- a lot of the previous brands mention that do custom work would be able to handle rotisserie as I'm pretty sure I've heard of them doing so in the past.

http://spitjack.com/category/ROTISSERIES.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-BYIRqOXbvg

I have recently picked up one of these, and really really really like it.... and it's well within your budget. My guess is I could probably get 20+ briskets on it pretty easily
http://www.pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=15230959

+1 our next pit is gonna be a reverse flow magnum sniper. Tryin to eventually work towards my moble bbq food truck. it will be a few years yet. My vault cooked 10 15 lb briskets but that's about it. I bet one of those snipers could hold 25 briskets.

Those snipers are a work of art as far as offsets go- I don't know anyone else who makes anything like it. You could maybe fit a whole hog on one?

There are different rotisseries as well.

Southern Pride, Old Hickory, and Oyler smokers have a rotating bank of shelves... capacities from 500 lbs and up.
But that's in a different budget - in the 5 figure range.

Many thanx to all who replied! I think I will lean more towards the offset smoker because the rotisserie has a few mechanical parts. Motor, generator if no electric is present, gas etc. it seems offset smoker would be the way to go! I was mainly looking for a smoker mounted on a trailer that could hold about 20 or more pork butts.

Many thanx to all who replied! I think I will lean more towards the offset smoker because the rotisserie has a few mechanical parts. Motor, generator if no electric is present, gas etc. it seems offset smoker would be the way to go! I was mainly looking for a smoker mounted on a trailer that could hold about 20 or more pork butts.

That would equate to a mid-sided offset - a size like a Lang 60 patio with a full width second shelf option. 20 butts easy.
Some do upsize to an 84 out of necessessity.

If you settle on an offset stick burner, IMHO you need to research and seriously consider a reverse flow. I've been amazed at how much better my Q is using mine compared to other cookers I've used.

my Fraternity Brother has a 3660 Cadillac cooker.. it seems to cook food a little faster than my offset does... but capacity is limited to what the motor can turn.. and you are correct if there is no power present he is SOL. I like my offset because i can cook anywhere basically and don't require power.. something about having to plug in your grill just doesn't seem right.. :twitch:

I dont know the first thing about rotisserie cookers. But if your looking to spend around 6k, you need to PM Paul, TuscaloosaQ. I feel like an infomercial for this guy. Im a very happy customer. Just search some of his work he has posted on this forum. You will stay under 6k and have an awesome smoker.

Back