Is a Stump Platinum 5 too big!

ellagrace

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi

Looking at replacing my exsisting stumps smoker, for a Platinum 5. I need a bigger pit too cook for larger crowds. My issue is that when I'm not cooking for a large crowd and just for my family, will this pit be too big and produce a lower quality product?

Thanks for any insight.

it is big, how large are the crowds your cooking for?
I dont think it would produce a lower quality product, but its a big unit to fire up just for a family.

What size stumps do you have now? The p5 holds up to 400lbs of pork butts. I think you can cook 150lb hog also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Guys,

I have a Stretch right now. I'm running out of room in the stretch and want to start cooking for larger groups. Also on the competition side want to cook more hogs.

I bought the stretch thinking it would be the last. Figured it was big enough. So my next one has to be my last. lol

The Platinum five may be a little big now, but I'm hoping to get larger in the catering and it won't be.

thx
Nick

Can you swing having both pits?
The platinum is available in a 6 also.
You can get a spinning hog rack also.
jon

I say if you can afford it go for it. Platinums are bad arse cookers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Guys,

I have a Stretch right now. I'm running out of room in the stretch and want to start cooking for larger groups. Also on the competition side want to cook more hogs.

I bought the stretch thinking it would be the last. Figured it was big enough. So my next one has to be my last. lol

The Platinum five may be a little big now, but I'm hoping to get larger in the catering and it won't be.

thx
Nick

You have answered your question here, Grasshopper!

The stretch is a monster for sure for backyard cooking.. Good luck selling it!

My platinum is rarely used and my stretch is on constantly if that tells you anything. For instance tonight I made 7-8lbs of smoked sausage. It would have been ridiculous to fire up a platinum for that. The stretch is also easier to clean. The ash and clag is more work to get out of the Platinum. That being said a big hog in the platinum is an impressive thing for a crowd of hungry people. I was in your shoes this time last year. I had visions of all kinds of hog cooks and big catering gigs. Truth is I didn't end up doing nearly as much as I thought. Lucky for me I didn't have to choose and I just get to wheel the platinum out for special occasions and have the stretch for the more modest cooks. Good luck with your decision. Its a tough one.

Thanks everyone,

Bourbon Barrel yes its tough. I guess the real deciding factor will be what I can sell the Stretch for. Time will tell!

Thanks Again
Nick

Back