MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Arrow BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown

Our new category is...

"Cast Iron!"

Photo from Camping Gear Stop blog.

...as chosen by The BBQ QB, the winner of the Shish-Kebab Throwdown!

This shouldn't be too complicated, so let's not try to make it complicated. You are to make a dish using cast iron cookware. Please note that nowhere in the rules does it say you have to use a SPECIFIC kind of cooker..thus a cat iron dish on a grill, in a smoker, or even over an open fire should count. You could grill with cast iron grids, you could put a cast iron dish in the smoker to absorb smoky goodness, or you could throw grilled/smoked foods into a cast iron dish and put it in the microwave for all I care so long as it features grilled/smoked foods.

Now that you all know what to do. Shut up and do it. All questions will be ignored. You are on your own with the guidance given. Make some killer dishes because this one will be up to the voters to decide. Actually, they always decide, but in case you are thinking about asking a question, the answer will be...

The voters will decide!

Here is the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1. The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2. Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 3/26 - 4/4 ).
3. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 4/4.
4. Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
6. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren Throwdown related postings or materials.
7. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
8. Only the image from the original post by the person entering the dish will be used in the Vote thread. Any further postings of the same photo by the same person, or by others will not be used.

The voting will begin Monday 4/5 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 4/9. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Appetizers Throwdown until Sunday night 3/28 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Fowl Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Midnight Smoke

This is how you get them ready, just in case...

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Disclaimer:in no way, shape or form is Mr. Bigabyte suggesting that you actually put cast iron cookware in your microwave because, of cource that would be dangerous and just plain stupid.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default Re: BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw
Disclaimer:in no way, shape or form is Mr. Bigabyte suggesting that you actually put cast iron cookware in your microwave because, of cource that would be dangerous and just plain stupid.
Party pooper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Can we also include anyone who cooks on a material similar to cast iron?

Just sayin!

Last edited by Smokin Turkey; 03-27-2010 at 08:54 AM..
Smokin Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Sunra
is one Smokin' Farker

This sounds like it was made for Cowgirl...... Can't wait to see her entry!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I might have to break out the fatty kolaches again....won't win but at least I'll get my hungry taken care of.

[NOT AN ENTRY PHOTO]

....and no I'm not cooking in flip flops. I photoshopped that in there to look like a rebel.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848

Last edited by High Q; 03-27-2010 at 11:12 AM..
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Bobbrisket could be a contendah too.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Creuset is cast iron. I'm getting some really bad deja vu.

I think I may need therapy after this.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
btcg
Babbling Farker

WOW... love that first pic... that's really old-school. This site really is a great place to learn at.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Hmmm, still cool enough here to cook by the fire. Got a ziplock full of pulled pork, some Hatch green chile in the deep freeze, taters, onions, garlic, cilantro plant in the back yard needs a good trimming and the fresh chives in the front need to some trimming too.............then maybe use some of the yellow japs form last year's garden that are in the freeze too.................Hmmmmm, what the heck could I possible come up with? Bwaaahhhhahahhhhahhaa!
I can't resist an opportunity to get the DO going!

Bob

Course the Lodge Sportsman grill hasn't seen any action in a LONG time and those CI grates on it make for some killer freaking burgers...........Decisions, decisions!

Here's some Fluffer pron.........Not entry pics.

Lodge Sportsman
or the DO

Help a Brother decide.......
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 03-27-2010 at 01:11 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
bigabyte

Bob, I think you're original idea sounds the best considering your mad photo skills shown with a batch of red last year.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
Can we also include anyone who cooks on a material similar to cast iron?
The voters will decide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
...Hmmmmm, what the heck could I possible come up with?
I am hoping you will decide actually...but I am obligated to state that the voters will decide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
Can't we just let the voters decide on that too?

Duh.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Niek
On the road to being a farker

Surf & Turf.
All made on the Big Green Egg with ..... cast iron grate.

Use the third pic as my entree please.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

It's ON!!! The first volley comes out of Holland!! Looking fantastic Niek!! What's in the taters? They look very hearty.

I'd hit that.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote