Rusted out belly

flseminarian

Reaction score
The belly of my New Braunfels Black Diamond (had it since 1998) has started to rust out. The hole is currently larger than my handprint, and they don't get smaller once they start. I'd prefer to fix it, since it's what I'm used to.

Anybody got any experience they can lend me in fixing an issue like this?

Thanks.

Pics would be very helpful. Whats your skill level?

Skill level???

The reality is that I have never done any welding in my life...but I might be able to figure it out. I'm pretty handy.

Picture here, with a nitrile glove next to the hole for perspective:

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_220531135.jpg
    IMG_20200405_220531135.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 310
Buy a small piece of sheet metal. Nothing to heavy/thick. 1/8" or less. You want to be able to cut to size. Nip off corners to get rid of square edges. Will make forming easier.
Galvanized is fine if that is all HD etc has. Easy to bend/shape with a pair of gloves on. I'm guessing 10" X 10" is plenty large.
Lightly shape around a poll, fence, bench top, propane tank etc.
Very light bends till you get a good fit to the bottom shape. Doesn't have to be perfect.
Then you can just pop rivet to the bottom. In 5 or so years. You will probably have to do/make one again.
Cheap easy, no welding.
Just a thought.

If I remember right, those came with a sheet metal "liner", it probably rusted out and was thrown away and never replaced, so the forces of evil got to work on the unit itself....lol
I'd just bend in a new liner like said above,

Buy a small piece of sheet metal. Nothing to heavy/thick. 1/8" or less. You want to be able to cut to size. Nip off corners to get rid of square edges. Will make forming easier.
Galvanized is fine if that is all HD etc has. Easy to bend/shape with a pair of gloves on. I'm guessing 10" X 10" is plenty large.
Lightly shape around a poll, fence, bench top, propane tank etc.
Very light bends till you get a good fit to the bottom shape. Doesn't have to be perfect.
Then you can just pop rivet to the bottom. In 5 or so years. You will probably have to do/make one again.
Cheap easy, no welding.
Just a thought.

Best to avoid galvanized if possible. You can't be too safe.

Thanks

Thanks for the insight and advice.

There was a heat liner in the firebox, but not in the cooking chamber. And, yes, that plate rusted and was thrown out, probably two moves ago.

Sealant?

Would it make sense to put that plate on the outside and use some sealant at the edges?

Would it make sense to put that plate on the outside and use some sealant at the edges?

It is a firebox. Unless you are going to be just running charcoal and require the box to seal up well. The RTV is not required.
You don't have to pop rivet if you don't want to.
Put a bucket under the hole. Pull your plate out. Sweep all the ash down/out the hole into a bucket. Easy cleaning.

Wash with 50/50 vinegar/water. Takes galvanizing problem away. <snip>

I thought the issue with galvanized metals was toxic smoke when it melts or oxidizes, which would take a pretty hot fire (furnace), or welding. But what the heck does a vinegar wash do?

Yep toxic smoke when welding. I've done plenty of that. For a whole lot of years. And still do. Just hold your breath :shocked: It stinks!
It is the coating, not the parent metal itself. Vinegar/water dissolves the coating real quick. It is very slimy when you wash it off.
You can still get some fumes when welding, but you will not hit those temps cooking. As you are melting the metal welding. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
Wash with 50/50 vinegar/water. Takes galvanizing problem away. Easily.
Also not much chance he is going to be above 600* to where it can give off fumes.

Probably not, but that's why I added "if possible".

When my back got injured and I went through the whole nerve conduction test, my numbers were low across the board and the doctor said it was likely from chemical exposure at some point. I've been a lot more careful since then because everything I ever touched had been deemed "safe".

Another vote for avoiding galvanized. Absolutely no reason to use it in this application.
If you are not confident repairing it take it to a local welder and see what they'll charge you to repair.

My opinion is it may be time for an upgrade.

looking at the ash in there it's time for a new one and keep that ash out. old country.

New smoker?

First, thanks to y'all for the responses. I got away from the forum for a week, and for some reason it's not emailing me about responses.

A couple of you have suggested that it might be time to replace/upgrade.

Any thoughts on the CharBroil American Gourmet smoker? The price is pretty resonable, and it's much like what I already have.

The NB Black Diamond is salvageable... Find a metal 5 gal bucket and cut a patch from it.
The bend should be fairly close already.
How to attach it will depend on what is available to you.

Back