Do you use burr oak

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have access to some burr oak following a storm at my sister's place. do any of you use this for smoking? Thoughts?

I don't discriminate when it comes to oak. I lost a bunch of limps in storms in June. I'm not sure if it's red, white, pin, or burr. It gets cut up and used in the pits.

Just my $.02

Should work good. It's a type of white oak.

Yep I have used it. It works fine. The only problem I had was that it smokes twice. Once when you cut it and the again in the BBQ pit. It is pretty hard stuff and needs a vary sharp blade.

burr oak , in my area, SW Mo., has the nastiest, rotten, putred smell ever known to be in the oak family. Sold for pallet use only. Imagine a pro football laundry collection, after a 100 degree day, bagging the contents and opening a month later, that would be mild compared to burr oak. use if you want, not me, red oak is for heating buildings, not cooking. Steve.

burr oak or burl oak??

burl have unique grain patterns that woodworkers look for to make one of a kinds

I have used burr oak w/ good results. i have never heard of burr oak being a problem. most hard wood (properly seasoned and used) is ok to use - my opinion and experience.

maybe burn some outside of your smoker to test?

If you find the burr oak flavor too strong, try mixing it with some lighter fruit wood.

Back