I am right there with you. It seems everything I was kind of thinking about has already been done. This is gonna be tough to come up with something original.

I had an epiphany last night about 3AM and although no one has the exact idea I had, pieces and parts are strewn throughout this thread. Maybe I will give it a go anyway.

Yes. Now that my interest is piqued, you must. It's the law.

Well if it is the law... :cop: then I must. I really have to make it anyway because after thinking about it all day I have myself drooling with anticipation. If I never would have checked the thread before writing out my grocery list I would have been none the wiser. Gosh all this pressure I hope my balls can perform up to expectation. :tape: :roll:

I only hope I can please the General, the blood suck ghost snake gods and the throwdown voters. :pray:

Mighty Meatball...in the form of a Sammich!

As the story goes, it was 3AM and as I lay awake in bed I have a meatball epiphany <cue trumpets>. A couple of hours later and morning arrives and I spring from my bed to review the meatball throwdown thread only to find that my ideas had been put to use in various other dishes for this very throwdown. Later a law enforcement officer stopped by (actually Guerry wrote it in a post... close enough) and said I must go forth with my plan because <cue thunder clap> "IT'S THE LAW". So, my apologies in advance to those that have similar thoughts about what would make a great meatball. All ideas were original to me when they first came to me. I'm also trying to figure out a new camera so forgive some of the slightly out of focus images.

Here is my ode to the Mighty Meatball...in the form of a Sammich!

I started with some basics:

MeatballThrowdown1.jpg

I then chopped some bacon and sautéed it along with diced shallots and some garlic until the bacon just started to turn crispy. I mixed these items in with the ground chuck, Italian sausage, bread crumbs beaten egg and spices. I then placed a ball of provolone in the center of each hunk of meat and formed the meatball around the provolone. I placed them on my kettle indirect at about 350 for about an hour. I was very pleased with how well these held together thanks to that egg.

MeatballThrowdown2.jpg

Earlier I had stopped by a local pizzeria and purchased a nice fresh hoagy bun upon which I could rest my balls. I buttered the hoagy bun on both sides with garlic butter and topped with slices of provolone. I then placed it under the broiler to melt the butter and cheese and brown the edges. I dunked the meatballs in my spaghetti sauce and placed on the bottom of the bun, draped a piece of provolone over top and returned to the broiler until the provolone melted over top of the meatballs. Added a bit more sauce and topped with the other half of bun.

MeatballThrowdown3.jpg

It was a great sammich with the added bonus of an occasional crispy piece of bacon and of course melted provolone in every bite. Thanks for looking! Please use the last shot for the throwdown.

MeatballThrowdown4.jpg

MeatballThrowdown5.jpg

This throwdown has gone to eleven.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Glad I didn't waste my time trying to enter this one as it is definitely over.

I keep slamming my face trying to get close to this but I always come up short.

MeatballThrowdown5.jpg

Even though you can't get a real hoagie roll outside of a 100 mile radius of Philadelphia, that meatball sammy looks really good. Cheese in every bite, indeed.

CD

An idea came to me today, so it's on the pit right now. Not my greatest idea ever, but it's all I got. Pics will be up tonight.

Alright here we go....I really wanted one of those giant stuffed potatoes from McCalisters, so I decided to make my own and load it up with some MOINK's.

Getting them ready, dusted them with some of my rub as well as some Oakridge HDD:
IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

On the pit...crappy iphone pic
071f95bc.jpg

Cause I'm a 12 year old:
IMG_2973.jpg

Throwdown pic:
IMG_2982.jpg

And the fork shot
IMG_2983.jpg

...Love the bun too.

I couldn't find anyplace where I could buy a decent size bun and then I remembered a post about buying pizza dough from a local pizza place. There is a local chain around me that makes a fine pie as well as selling hoagys. I decidedd to give them a try and they sold me one hoagy bun. The price was a bit high but they aren't a bakery either so I understood and was willing to pay the price for the roll for my meatball sammich. Thanks for noticing the details. :clap2:

I couldn't find anyplace where I could buy a decent size bun and then I remembered a post about buying pizza dough from a local pizza place. There is a local chain around me that makes a fine pie as well as selling hoagys. I decidedd to give them a try and they sold me one hoagy bun. The price was a bit high but they aren't a bakery either so I understood and was willing to pay the price for the roll for my meatball sammich. Thanks for noticing the details. :clap2:

I was born in the suburbs of Philadelphia, and I love a good hoagie. Every few years, some place opens up in Dallas that claims to have a real hoagie, and I run to them, like Charlie Brown runs to kick a football that Lucy holds for him.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGH!

You just can't get that bread outside of the Philly area. You can buy it online, if you want to make a twenty-dollar sandwich.

But, you do what you gotta' do. Your hoagie roll may not be authentic, but it's available. If the sandwich tastes good, fugetaboutit.

CD

Back