MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
I hear ya. I can eat it with a spoon plain. I love dipping french fries in it.
Mmmmmm, Pommes Frites mit mayo

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsperk View Post
I thought Dukes and Hellmann's were different but Hellmann's and Best foods was the same.
Yep^^

Old 06-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
rajewest
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Ya'll crazy Dukes is THE Mayornaise!! Hellman what is that short for "hellman I thought you had Maoyornaise"
Dukes is the only one. My wife is originally from Michigan, and had never had Dukes, now it it the only one she''ll use. Ever time my parents (live in Georgia) come to visit, they bring us a few jars.
rajewest is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Mmmmmm, Pommes Frites mit mayo
I never heard of them Big Mike. I had to google Pommes Frites mit mayo.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

What a lovely sidetrack this has become. I like Hellman's better than Duke's, but that is probably just because I grew up on it. Hellman's has a much stronger egg flavor, while Duke's has a better tang to it. Each has better applications as an ingredient, but as condiment I reach for the Hellman's. As for MW, that $hit isn't mayo.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #21
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Make you some o this thank me later
Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*
By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster
Louie Muller BBQ
1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste
In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.
Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.
* As originally printed in the October 24, 1984 Milwaukee Journal
Or your blackjack sauce, which I am completely obsessed with. That stuff after sitting in the fridge for a few days is magical.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #22
Kyle Serlington
Full Fledged Farker

for brisket i do tend to prefer it without sauce, but if i do add sauce it needs to be a thin tomato sauce with a little kick, i don't like thick molasses type sauce on brisket. Dinosaur BBQ's Wango Tango (habanero hot sauce) is great for beef (goes great on meatloaf too!)
Kyle Serlington is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #23
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone ever tried this?

[IMG][/IMG]

I bought it some time ago and its been in my pantry for a while. Never tried it . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #24
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Brisket Sauce turns into Mayo Talk? Personally I am scared of Mayo and do not sauce my brisket. Am I going to hell?
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #25
buccaneer

I know this.
Dipping french fries in mayo is a European thang!

Old 06-22-2014, 03:04 AM   #26
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

As to the OP, I have not tried any sauce(s) on my brisket, not sure I want to.

As to the add'l "mayo thread";

From Wikipedia

Hellmann's and Best Foods are brand names that are used for the same line of mayonnaise and other food products. The Hellmann's brand is sold in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Canada. The Best Foods brand is sold in the United States west of the Rocky Mountains, and also in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand.
Hellmann's and Best Foods are marketed in a similar way. Their logos and web sites resemble one another, and they have the same English slogan: "Bring out the best".
Both brands were previously sold by the U.S.-based Bestfoods Corporation, which also sold several other food products in addition to Hellmann's and Best Foods mayonnaise. Bestfoods, known as CPC international before 1997, was acquired by Unilever in 2000.

KC

Old 06-22-2014, 04:06 AM   #27
scrub puller
On the road to being a farker

Yair . . . it's interesting how different countries and areas have different tastes and traditions.

I have been cooking in a drum at between 275 and 375 for some time now . . . tried the low and slow but ran out of patience. I find even brisket or an eight or ten pound silverside finishes in around eight hours at very most . . . usually five or six

We absolutely love the food but after trialling most of the traditional sauces and rubs we have come to the conclusion that lots of smoke and spicy US style rubs and sauces are not for us . . . however as Aussies no meat based meal is complete with out a proper sauce or gravy.

We now treat our cooks as an ordinary "roast", catch the drippings (that is to say the essence of brisket, pork shoulder, chicken or what ever) and, with this base we make a proper flour thickened gravy or sauce and we find this far more satisfactory than introducing what to us are alien flavours . . . for sides we do mostly vegetables and salads

My biggest problem in the UDS is managing the cook so the drippings don't burn.
In light of this I have started construction of offset upright UDS which should solve the problem.

In effect the machine will be two cookers in one . . . I will be able to isolate the indirect cooking/roasting/smoking chamber with a damper and then I can grill, stir-fry or boil up prawns and crabs on the lower fire-box section.

I am sure this is not new and initial tests indicate it should work. I find messing around making stuff is half the enjoyment. (big grin)

Cheers.

Last edited by scrub puller; 06-22-2014 at 04:26 AM..
scrub puller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #28
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I know this.
Dipping french fries in mayo is a European thang!
Not Italian...only Others European !
For us only kechup w/ fries

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #29
Bludawg

N. Texas Brown Gravy Sauce!??!? After reading this article http://tmbbq.com/in-search-of-brown-gravy-sauce/ and this one http://www.texomaliving.com/po-sams I have to try this sooner than later. For the record on Fries for me it is either What-A=Burger Spicy Ketchup or Chili Sauce

Old 06-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #30
scrub puller
On the road to being a farker

Yair . . . Bludawg.

Thanks for link on Texas brown gravy sauce . . . I don't feel so bad now about messing with tradition.

We make the gravy by taste while the meat is resting . . . no particular recipe, depends a bit on how many drippings. I catch them in a big baking pan, pour off some of the fat and deglaze with a bit of red wine or water over a low heat on a gas ring or the Weber kettle.

Once all the good bits are scraped from the bottom of the pan and emulsified we sprinkle in some plain wheat flour and stirring constantly work it into a smoothish paste and let the flour cook for awhile taking care not to burn it.

It can then be thinned down with milk, wine, water or any combination and the sauce is adjusted for taste with salt pepper, ketchup or Worcestershire sauce. Usually not much is necessary as we like that basic flavour of the meat essence to be predominant.

The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for the same time as the meat (or frozen) and for left overs we often just heat the gravy and pour it over the cold sliced or pulled meat.

Cheers.
scrub puller is offline   Reply With Quote