Using an automatic pit temp controller with a WSM

Gary Tomato

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi

I done a few successful cooks on my couple of months old WSM aiming for a temp of 250º F throughout the cook for pulled pork.

I've got a CyberQ Wifi now and in a few days will be using it for the first time so I'm wondering the best way to incorporate the CyberQ into the cooking process, i.e. do I put the same amount of lit charcoal on the same amount of unlit charcoal - or should i use more or less either way? Any other tips would be appreciated too!

Thanks,
Gary

I use a Guru on my 22" WSM all the time. I would light using the minion method with about a dozen coals, and drop them in the direct center of the 20lb load of charcoal. I would leave all vents open on the WSM with the Guru stocking the fire. When I was with 25 of my target temps I would close down all the vents with the top vent wide open. The Guri would take over and hold temps as long as there was fuel.

You dont necessarily need to change anything, just know when shut down the vents so you dont overshoot your target temps.

Think of your temp controller as being a replacement for you adjusting the dampers on your WSM. Do everything the same, just let the fan control the airflow.

I have a PartyQ and I hook it up after I get the pit up to temp.

I agree with Dark, except with my Pitmaster IQ 120 I start my coals in front of the vent with the fan. This causes the fire to burn across the width of my fire basket. I have seen issues where started in the middle, it burns across and then tries to wrap around. If that doesn't work, the fire can die...

I've completed two cooks with the CyberQ now, unfortunately on both occasions I just did not have any luck with the controller being able to get the pit up to temp, or down to temp. I know that on both occasions I had sufficient charcoal to get the heat up to 250°F because after it didn't happen courtesy of the CyberQ I opened up the vents and watched it heat up, I then turned the CyberQ back on when it hit 250°F but the temperature rose to nearly 270°F and it wasn't going to come down so I had to close the vents again.

I took the advice of the comments above, getting the pit to within 20° of the desired temp but yesterday after doing this the temp went from 238°F and just continued on a downward spiral until it sat around 198-205 requiring me to open the vents to get the temp to increase.

I know that the vent on the PitViper was open, I could hear it turning on and off, the deflector plate was pointing downward but nothing seemed to happen in relation to pit control.

What the hey could I be doing wrong!

I use a Guru on my 22" WSM all the time. I would light using the minion method with about a dozen coals, and drop them in the direct center of the 20lb load of charcoal. I would leave all vents open on the WSM with the Guru stocking the fire. When I was with 25 of my target temps I would close down all the vents with the top vent wide open. The Guri would take over and hold temps as long as there was fuel.

You dont necessarily need to change anything, just know when shut down the vents so you dont overshoot your target temps.

Yup!

I'm a recovering ATC user so i can say.... Just say NO.

I've completed two cooks with the CyberQ now, unfortunately on both occasions I just did not have any luck with the controller being able to get the pit up to temp, or down to temp. I know that on both occasions I had sufficient charcoal to get the heat up to 250°F because after it didn't happen courtesy of the CyberQ I opened up the vents and watched it heat up, I then turned the CyberQ back on when it hit 250°F but the temperature rose to nearly 270°F and it wasn't going to come down so I had to close the vents again.

I took the advice of the comments above, getting the pit to within 20° of the desired temp but yesterday after doing this the temp went from 238°F and just continued on a downward spiral until it sat around 198-205 requiring me to open the vents to get the temp to increase.

I know that the vent on the PitViper was open, I could hear it turning on and off, the deflector plate was pointing downward but nothing seemed to happen in relation to pit control.

What the hey could I be doing wrong!

What kind of charcoal are you using? Also, are you leaving the top vent wide open? Are you filing the water pan with water?

Unusual that you are having issues coming up to temp. I know you said the pitviper vent was open, but did you look or stick your finger to make sure, the fan will come on and off even if the vent is closed.

What kind of charcoal are you using? Also, are you leaving the top vent wide open? Are you filing the water pan with water?
Unusual that you are having issues coming up to temp. I know you said the pitviper vent was open, but did you look or stick your finger to make sure, the fan will come on and off even if the vent is closed.

I live in Australia, so there isn't any Kingsford charcoal around, so I use Heat Beads which i've been using for several years without any issues.

I had all the vents on the WSM open until I got within 15° of my target temp (250°) then closed the bottom vents and left the top vent wide open.

I had about a gallon of (straight out of the tap) water in the bowl but it had at least 30 minutes to warm up before I turned the fan on.

The PitViper vent was definitely open, I checked it before I started it up - it was closed when i picked it up so I thought to myself that may have been why my first cook with it failed, but it shouldn't have been the problem yesterday. I had it open full, prepared to back it off if necessary!

250* might be a little high for the WSM with water. It would be hard to bring the temps up. If you plan on using water I suggest a few more things that might help.

1. Get a gasket kit to seal to seal up the door and dome lid.
2. start it without water, then when you reach your temp, add boiling water slowly to the bowl.
3. get a 25cfm pitviper, as it can move alot of air, and would make a huge difference (i use 10cfm on the WSM)

I cook at 225 on mine, fill the entire ring with 20lb of charcoal, and light the center using the minion method with about a dozen coals, and fill the bowl with 3 gallons of boiling water. I let the guru stoke the fire when I am close to temp, and close all the vents except for the top.

I recommend trying it without water. Foil the bowl up and try it dry, and see how it runs.

Would you use that much coal for a 5 hour cook?

No, I typically run overnight cooks averaging 14-16 hours smoking briskets. But, I know some will use whatever fuel was not used up on the next cook. Try filling at least half the charcoal ring and see what happens...

You can use that much charcoal, because when you close off all the vents after cooking it should put the coals out and they can be used again on the next cook.

If your WSM is new and leaking a lot of smoke (you will notice all the leaking spots from smoke around the lid and door at start up) due to the WSM being new and not seasoned/gunked up yet, try closing the top vent half way. The leaks from lack of gunk is allowing the pit to exhaust to much, leading to an uneven intake to exhaust ratio making the ATC less efficient.

Think of your temp controller as being a replacement for you adjusting the dampers on your WSM. Do everything the same, just let the fan control the airflow.

I have a PartyQ and I hook it up after I get the pit up to temp.

Dave, do you have any issues with your partyq on your wsm? 22in? I have the same setup and was trying to decide on which controller was best. I assume a 10 com fan is all you need as well. Thoughts?

Thks!!!

Controlling the WSM is actually pretty easy.

1. - See if you can find the "charcoal bowl" from a crappy brinkman smoker. It's a 2gal bowl and it fits perfectly. I wrap mine with aluminum foil and fill with water 3/4 full.

2. - Never close up the top exhaust vent. Always leave it full open. The number one problem that causes creosoting is partially closed exhaust vents. I drop a thermometer into one of the holes so I can get the dome temp.

3. - Close 1 intake vent and set the other 2 vents at 50%.

4. - I add one medium piece of wood that fits the ring or several chunks of wood on the bottom. Fill a chimney starter with charcoal then pour the rest into the ring over the wood. Make a little depression in the middle for the charcoal from the chimney starter.

5. - Pour lit charcoal into the ring, add the middle section of WSM. Pour water into the bowl to fill it up with out spilling any. Add bottom rack and meat, add top rack & meat, put the top on. My temp rises to 230 and locks in and will stay that way for the next 12-18 hours.

Back