MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I like the Butt better.

Every year our company gives us a big ham (~20 lb) for Christmas. I am not much of a ham guy so I sometimes give it away to a family at Church, but one of the guys here smoked his the next day and brought it in to share. It was really good, so this weekend I thought I would try mine. I got it cooked in about 9 hours to 145 internal. I used hickory and charcoal. It was good, but not as good as his. I must learn what he did.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I cook (BBQ) hams, picnics, butts, and whole shoulders. My preference in eating is the whole shoulder. I do really like the ham (as said above). Where I'll generally cook the shoulder into the low 200's, I like/prefer the hams more in the mid 190's; still plenty pullable but not overcooked and dry. That's a big piece of it, keeping the ham moist. I do inject, and I do use foil. Frankly, I've been back and forth a few times over the years as to preference. I think I get burnt out on one and have gone to the other. Matter of fact, think I'll do a hog (but in pieces) cook this summer. I like the idea; 2 whole 22# shoulders, 2 whole 22# fresh hams, perhaps a case of babybacks...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I cook (BBQ) hams, picnics, butts, and whole shoulders. My preference in eating is the whole shoulder. I do really like the ham (as said above). Where I'll generally cook the shoulder into the low 200's, I like/prefer the hams more in the mid 190's; still plenty pullable but not overcooked and dry. That's a big piece of it, keeping the ham moist. I do inject, and I do use foil. Frankly, I've been back and forth a few times over the years as to preference. I think I get burnt out on one and have gone to the other. Matter of fact, think I'll do a hog (but in pieces) cook this summer. I like the idea; 2 whole 22# shoulders, 2 whole 22# fresh hams, perhaps a case of babybacks...
I agree that a ham is pullable in the 190's, I have done a few like this. The main reason I was asking is that around here where I live all the BBQ joints seem to serve chopped/pulled ham. While it is good I just prefer the butt/shoulder. The flavor to me is just so much better.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Allright so I am certainly not the expert here but I sure am interested. The shoulder has a really nice(high) fat content and hams (picnics?) don't. I have never cooked a ham, but it would seem to me that it needs to be cooked quite differently than a shoulder. Advice??
I'm not an expert by no means but cooking a fresh ham is not much different than a butt or shoulder. They can be cooked either with the skin on or the skin removed. The last one I cooked I left the skin on and cooked inderect at about 225*. All the exposed meat was rubbed before going on the smoker. It took about 16 hours to cook a 20lb ham but it was well worth the wait. Was done at about 195* internal. Pulled and chopped almost like a butt.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #20
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
I'm not an expert by no means but cooking a fresh ham is not much different than a butt or shoulder. They can be cooked either with the skin on or the skin removed. The last one I cooked I left the skin on and cooked inderect at about 225*. All the exposed meat was rubbed before going on the smoker. It took about 16 hours to cook a 20lb ham but it was well worth the wait. Was done at about 195* internal. Pulled and chopped almost like a butt.
Yep. I usually cook at more like 250-275*, though.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

> hams (picnics?)

Nope. A whole shoulder is the combination of a boston butt (the top piece of the shoulder, usually to include a little piece of neck muscle known to many as the "money muscle") and a picnic (sometimes called a shoulder, or picnic shoulder) at the bottom end, the whole thing being from the front leg of the pig.

The ham is actually from the back leg portion of the pig.

Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #22
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=Carolina gamecock;2327180]I like big butts and I can not lie...

I prefer tight butts but maybe I am misunderstanding the comment!!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

butts for me, but ham does ok, fresh hams are hard to find plus more $$$
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote