Is the BBQ Guru's Onyx smoker closer to the market?

H

huckjr

Looks like this smoker is on its way out. There is a video that Huck uncovered on the net recently. Check out the first pics on this smoker and to see the video

BBQ Guru's Onyx Oven

This price seems a lil steep. At $1000, with a nano-Q, what does the rest of the brethren think?

I am new to the forums and this is my first post :grin: I am torn between the Backwood Chubby and the new Onyx. I love my guru on my WSM and think guru makes a great product but I dont know much about their smokers. I have seen the video of the new Onyx on Hucks Hut last week and it looks similar to the Chubby but maybe a little larger - any suggestions?

Oh and my WSM is great I am just looking to have more space to smoke.

I have one.

Pros: Works as advertised.

Cons: Sloppy build.
Fire box is thin. Warps permanently on first burn.

Unless you need the portability spend your $1000 on something quality.

I was so pleased with the Guru temp controller I thought It was safe to order sight unseen. That was a $1000 dollar mistake.

Got a free hat though.

I think that video is old. There is a new one where Bob says they changed the firebox. Why is the build not good?

http://www.huckshut.com/2011/02/05/hucks-hut-tv-bbq-bob-give-us-a-walkthrough-on-the-onyx-oven/

The back panel was screwed on crooked. Just eyeballed and screwed down cattywampus. That throws off the alignment of the air intake tube with the firebox. When it's hot the firebox is damn near impossible to get in and out. Jerk it hard to get it out. Bang it hard to get it back in.

Maybe the new iteration is better. Version 1.0 was not ready for prime time.

However, they do back up the product with a free hat.

The back panel was screwed on crooked. Just eyeballed and screwed down cattywampus. That throws off the alignment of the air intake tube with the firebox. When it's hot the firebox is damn near impossible to get in and out. Jerk it hard to get it out. Bang it hard to get it back in.

Maybe the new iteration is better. Version 1.0 was not ready for prime time.

However, they do back up the product with a free hat.

It may have been your thread that saved me. I greatly appreciate it. Who wants to put out a thousand dollars and discover that their band-new unit needs to be re-welded?

Apparently, this does resolve the cooking issue, but who cares, at this point, eh?

actually it is a really nice cooker and they have fixed the problems with the first one I am a dealer for these and backwoods....

actually it is a really nice cooker and they have fixed the problems with the first one I am a dealer for these and backwoods....

Ok, let's say that the cooker doesn't arrive scratched, bent, back pannel cattywampus, and fire pan warped that won't slide in and out.

Here's the real question. "Do they still stand behind their product with a free hat"?

BOb doesnt like how the folks at Guru treated him..I get it. I have had great luck with them. Mine have arrived very nicely.

The problem with bringing a new product to the market is that the early believers sometimes end up with the short end of the stick

Bob have they refused to make things right?

I am new to the forums and this is my first post :grin: I am torn between the Backwood Chubby and the new Onyx. I love my guru on my WSM and think guru makes a great product but I dont know much about their smokers. I have seen the video of the new Onyx on Hucks Hut last week and it looks similar to the Chubby but maybe a little larger - any suggestions?

Oh and my WSM is great I am just looking to have more space to smoke.

Welcome to the Brethren!

BOb doesnt like how the folks at Guru treated him..I get it. I have had great luck with them. Mine have arrived very nicely.

The problem with bringing a new product to the market is that the early believers sometimes end up with the short end of the stick

Bob have they refused to make things right?

I e-mailed them describing the problems. I got a response from the secretary/receptionist saying they were sorry I was having problems. A few days later a goodie box arrived with a hat and some other throwaways in it. That's all I ever heard. Never contacted by the guys who run the business.

Hopefully their new iteration has solved the problems and they are paying a little more attention to contruction quality. Your endorsement is a good sign that may be the case.

Bob we can take this to pm and I will follow up an your behalf....I will make sure you are taken care of.

Is there anything that you think the cooker does well? I am very happy with the ability to load it with charcoal at a comp and not worry again. I also like the airflow and heat management and as Ive said the shape where you can fit a full pan in it. If I see a negative I would like better latches.

Seriously I want to give the Guru guys the benefit of the doubt and hope that this fell through the cracks...Lets see how they handle it for you....Thanks!

Bob we can take this to pm and I will follow up an your behalf....I will make sure you are taken care of.

Is there anything that you think the cooker does well? I am very happy with the ability to load it with charcoal at a comp and not worry again. I also like the airflow and heat management and as Ive said the shape where you can fit a full pan in it. If I see a negative I would like better latches.

Seriously I want to give the Guru guys the benefit of the doubt and hope that this fell through the cracks...Lets see how they handle it for you....Thanks!

Thanks for your concern. Your offer is very generous. I can see why the folks here like doing business with you.

At this point I think I'll just put the whole thing behind me.

Hoping for all the best to you and the Guru folks. Thanks again.

Bob Im doing it anyway....it is just not right that you got a cooker that you arent happy with....Im not doing this for show...IF they contact uyou would you at least let them try to fix it? thanks

Bob Wiley....I spoke with the people at BBQ Guru about your issues. BBQ Bob who is in charge did not know of your issues. That is not an excuse but things can slip through the cracks. They have emailed you about replacing your fire box at no charge...You can do whatever you want but it would be great if you allowed them to make it right. BOttom line is that they actually are willing to back the product.

Bob Wiley....I spoke with the people at BBQ Guru about your issues. BBQ Bob who is in charge did not know of your issues. That is not an excuse but things can slip through the cracks. They have emailed you about replacing your fire box at no charge...You can do whatever you want but it would be great if you allowed them to make it right. BOttom line is that they actually are willing to back the product.

Sterling,

Ain't trying to butter yer bread, and maybe it's just a day for observing this, but you're another brother this site is lucky to have.

If you can find the time to show us your amp collection, we'd all appreciate it. A PM to alert me would be cool.

Anyways, thanks for all you did for brother Wiley!

Back