MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
FLAQUE
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default BBQ Catering from a commissary kitchen.

I have found out to do catering I will need a HD approved commissary. I'm now curious about cooking the meat on the smoker? I will use an offset on a trailer. Does the HD allow that even though it's not inside the commissary? I know I'll have the meat stored at the kitchen and will also prep it there as well. Just curious about the cooking part. I'm positive other brethren have run into this situation before. Thanks.

Jason
FLAQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in NY so keep that in mind. I built a rolling kitchen on wheels because my HD said if my cooker was outside, even with an approved commissary a temp permit would still be needed, unless all prep and then breakdown of food was done in that commissary. Thus, you take your cooker out to a gig/festival = temp permit needed because you are prepping outside your commissary. My solution: take my HD certified commissary everywhere I go.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

in california the commisary cost me $35 hour and i cook behind the building.
sparky' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Bwhst11
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Im from Pennsylvania and had the same question... I Called HD and they told me that I would have to send a proposal in to get them to approve the set up. Any one else have this situation?
Bwhst11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
jasonville43
Knows what a fatty is.

Here in Indiana the local health department told me that I had to have a commisary to get the catering license and understood that darn near everything I do is outside and he is fine with it!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I only have to use my commissary for salad preps. Meats can be done outside as long as they go right on the smoker.
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Todd

Short answer is to call your local HD. In my state I only need the commissary for prep and clean up. If its a vending gig/ festival all I need is a copy of my catering license and a portable wash station with a 3 compartment sink and a hand wash station : 3 plastic totes and a water cooler w/spigot for the hand wash covers it for me.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I might be wrong, but I believe in TX the HD requires your smoker has to be screened-in or in a smokehouse of some sort to keep bugs out.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote