Contest Announcment Inaugural Run for the Ribs BBQ May 5-7, 2011

voodoobbqIL

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, as some of you know we have been approached by some great investors and charities to have a BBQ event in Louisville. We will be holding it on May 5 - 7, 2011 in Louisville which just happens to be the same time as the Kentucky Derby. We have room for 50 teams and so far we have 20 teams in.

As well on Thursday May 5th in the evening we are hosting an invitational Rib only event with some of the top names in BBQ. (We will announce who it will be very soon).

I almost forgot to mention we have $25,000 in cash for the KCBS contest with cash in the categories down to 10th place.

We will have 30amp and 50amp electric and water.

Please check out the website (www.RunForTheRibs.com) for more info, it also has all of my contact information as well.

I would really like to see some Brethren there.

Last edited:
I'd like to make it, but the $350 entry fee is a little out of our price range. Maybe if you need some judges, we can make the trip.

I am planning on it.

Is that correct that the entry fee is tax deductible because it is going to the Kentucky Harvest?

We're seriously considering it. Do you have any information on how the pay-out are going to distributed?

Hey Kevin, how does the larger space work? I need 40'. So would the extra $50 spots be 20x 45'?

Thanks Kevin!

Would love to, but my boss picked this as our national sales meeting week......

Yeah, what Mike said, will have to start working on the fancy hat now & I wonder if you can change a margarita machine into a mint julep machine???

Scott

I will try to hit all of the questions with one post,

Scottie, for you the space would be $400, the spot is technically 20 x 30 but I can have slightly larger sites for a few and they are first come first serve, so far I have 6 folks needing them and I think I can do about 10, we need to update the CAD drawings to see how it works

Tax deductable, the charity says yes as long as you make the check out to them and they are 501(c)3 so it should be tax deductible, in what tax year you deduct it is up to you

Pay out, we have a press conference next month (so I am told) when I can release that info but as a teaser my GC walks with about $1000 more than most first year contests have in their entire purse.

Can you all do me a huge favour? if you need something please send me an email to KevinG@RunForTheRibs.com ? I travel a lot for wok and that is easier for me to work with than post updates.

thanks and I would love to see you guys in Louisville in May

Thanks Kevin. That sounds good. Count me in. I won't be able to pay until 2011... Calendar year thingy for me... Speaking of.. Will we have any access to off track betting? I need to get my Derby picks in as well...

I am not giving any legal advice. but if someone makes a check to the 501c(3), you can't get anything in return, ie a entry to a BBQ contest. I wanted to do that with my BBQ class, but my counsel told me that the students would be getting something in return, so that is why I set the value of me and Mike so low... :becky: Even though all the money was going to the foundation, the IRS wants to know a value in return.

So to make it short, I would encourage anyone to talk to your accountant to tax attorney. I am not giving out any advice... Whether that be legal or tax... (Phew, I hope I covered my a$$ with that one!!!) :pray:

Thanks Scottie for the non advice but opinion (that covers both of us)

One thing of note that is being requested of competitors is that we would really like to have left over meat donated to the Wayside Christian Mission - where the event is to be distributed to the homeless. If you have a use for it great but if like a lot of my contest meat it is just going into cold storage to maybe someday see the light of day then the less fortunate would be a great place to get rid of it. And for that you are not getting anything in return...

As for OTB, there are some I will have to check in the downtown area, I am considering having a viewing party as well since the Derby runs at a bout 6:30 local time so awards are done and everyone will be just ready to relax.

I would like a viewing party!!! I'll have some action on the race. I'm on a one year roll! :rolleyes:

We will most likely do it or partner with a restaurant downtown (walking distance) to make it happen

Back